doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: chux cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 02:45 AM
Sept. 6th is the kick off for my shotgun season and I cant wait..but what to shoot, My friend and I are going to bring a
Thomas Wild 12bore, Fox Sterlingworth 16, LC Smith 16, Fox Sterlingworth 20, Ithaca flues 20, a Twin Ports 12bore hammer damascus (weighs a ton but hits like a ton of bricks) and a couple of my buds, 20 bore "brit" guns.. I think we will give each one 30 minutes each! What to shoot!
Posted By: Chris Baumohl Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 03:23 AM
Chux, you hitting the popcorn fields on the north side of town?

I got back from Argentina a couple of weeks ago so I am not as anxious as usual. Probably will be out in Madison somewhere on the 6th!!

Chris
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 06:17 AM
Unfortunately, I am in Alabama South Zone so I won't be shooting dove until October. I may, however, visit some plantations in Albany, GA to get in on some action a little early.

Adam Stinson
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 07:32 AM
I can hardly wait myself. I wait for them to collect by the dozens under the bird feeder in the back yard, then I shoot them with my pellet gun, send the dog out the front door around the house to retreive them and bring them back around to the front. Then I clean it and get another one. I can have my supper in about an hour or so. Plus, thinning them out keeps 50 doves from sitting on my deck all winter pooping all over the place. Kills two birds with one stone....er, pellet. Lot cheaper, too.
Posted By: KMcMichael Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 12:04 PM
Dove season starts on the 1st of September here in New Mexico. With the incursion of the collared dove there really is no limit until you get 15 of either mourning or whitewing. Life is good.
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 12:06 PM
Chris, I really am not sure where I will hunt this year, Limestone or the popcorn field. Last year the popcorn field was not very good due to the drought. Whats in Madison?
Jimmy, I think that takes the fun out of shooting old doubles, but hey yours sounds like a plan also.
Posted By: PeteM Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 12:33 PM
eurasian

mourning

white wing

Pete
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 01:01 PM
You are indeed lucky- the PETA numbnutz and the Bible-thumpers (bird of peace and all that crapola) outvoted us 70/30 two years ago for a legal dove season- had a tentative one- lasted about as long as a fart remains in a wind tunnel- Do you have to use steel shot- as doves are migrants? I have a "newer" double that is great on barn pigeons (as was its predecessor) 12 ga. 30" tight chokes- and I see doves on the dairy farms where I shoot pigeons- but they are "Verbotten"- and if my gunning Hero- the late Nash Buckingham- says they are the greatest gunning target awing- I'll believe him (with divers from a layout boat in a heavy chop with a crosswind second- those I know a little about-bring lotsa shells- RWTF
Posted By: Chuck H Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 01:39 PM
A 12g is a lotta gun for a little dove. You might give that new Aguilla shorty 12g 5/8oz shell a try on them. It patterns like a pancake.
Posted By: Chris Baumohl Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 01:43 PM
Chux, I think I can get an invite or two back on the farms around Greenbriar. they are already working on some corn. Might be OK. if they really get harvesting, there will be way too many choices for the birds.

CB
Posted By: ellenbr Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 01:56 PM
Chux, CB:

The corn is really twisted and drying from Black's Landing(Brown's Ferry/Reactor) back to Greenbriar on the North side of the river, so the harvest and early dove season may prove to be good for the migration.

CB: where did you shoot down South; drop me an email.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 01:57 PM
Beautiful pics Pete! Opens here on 1 Sept. Eurasian Collards are invading here also and count with the Mourning limit (15/day). Been shooting an ounce of 8's (lead) in my 1911 Sauer Model 8 for decades.
Posted By: PeteM Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal
Beautiful pics Pete! Opens here on 1 Sept. Eurasian Collards are invading here also and count with the Mourning limit (15/day). Been shooting an ounce of 8's (lead) in my 1911 Sauer Model 8 for decades.

Hal,

Thanks.

The eurasian and mourning are both year round residents here. I usually start seeing the migration around August. So I am expecting it soon. The state has some managed hunts. There are a few clubs around, but on the expensive side for dove.

Pete
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 02:46 PM
Managed hunts here, too. (1) No shooter may consume in excess of two cases of beer during shooting times. (2) Deck chairs may not protrude past the confines of the deck. (3) No screaming at the football games on the TV during the shoot as it may scare the pigeons away. (After a case of beer, we don't care if what you call them as long as you shoot them.) (4) Any type of pellet gun is legal as long as you don't shoot my dog. (5) No shooting after dark as one might hit a rabbit hunter during spotlight hunting. Rules are strictly observed.......Denny Crane
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 03:30 PM
Looks like Georgia will have a 70 day season, divided into 3 parts extending into January. Opener will miss the Sept.1st labor day holiday since its a monday and be on Sept 6th, a saturday. The limit is expected to be up from 12 birds to 15, and they are considering upping the wood duck limit to 3. (I'll believe that when I see it since the woody limit here has been 2 all my life)...Geo
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 04:27 PM
I'm excited about the 6th! Of course we start on the 5th. Not the doves just the BBQ and the eating.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 04:52 PM
Like my hero Nash B. I am a 12 ga. man- and I use the "newbie" Parker VH for barn pigeons, don't eat them- the cats and 'coons do Had a hunting pal-called them squabs- he grew up in Indiana (where doves are legal)said mourning doves and barn pigeosn are cousins-maybe? One thing for sure- when they "launch" they drop down first to load their wings- I have seen some "peppered" barn pigeons shed feathers in mid-air, do a barrel roll, and stay airborne-and as the live bird boys use 12 gauges- so do I-only I shoot for fun and practice--RWTF
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 08:28 PM
Chris, sept 6 is going to be hot, thats pretty early for the season. Corn does look good this year.
Chukh, the 12g. all use 2 1/2 shells, and are low powered.
Run with fox, The south is still pretty hard on the peta types, so its still a big deal here for dove hunting. No steel shot mandated. I only hunt them the opening weekend, but they get my juices going for the bird hunting to follow.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/25/08 09:07 PM
The limit in Alabama was recently raised to 15.

Every year we have a couple of shoots around the local peanut mill. Ringneck dove hang out there every year. We set up in the pasture and fence rows next to the mill and catch them coming in.... talk about fast shooting!

One of the biggest problems here is that there is so much food, it's difficult to concentrate birds. Generally, the best shooting is in the late season when the peanut fields are grown up in winter rye and the birds are force to concentrate on corn and sorghum fields.

Adam
Posted By: dogon Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/26/08 12:56 AM
Interesting this thread came up. I'm going out to eastern Colorado this weekend to visit with the various landowners we have been hunting on for the past thirteen years. Season opens Sept.1st and this year it's the Monday of labor day weekend so all of us are taking Tuesday off of course. You know any old excuse to take a day off.

We've been invaded by the Eurasians here but I have yet to shoot one. They stay in town and don't venture out in the flat crop country where we shoot. Looking forward to setting up camp, do'in some grill'in and ohhh the cold beer. Can't Wait!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/27/08 08:59 PM
Chux- glad to hear "Old Dixie" is a holdin' dem ol' PETA feets to de flame- so to speak--in short, recalling a great song by the late Phil Harris (Der Bingle's hunting partner-man had good taste in wives and shotguns-shot a 28 gauge M12 for doves and quail) his classic song "And That's What I Like About The South" Me Too!!!
Posted By: PeteM Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/27/08 09:43 PM
Originally Posted By: dogon
Interesting this thread came up. I'm going out to eastern Colorado this weekend to visit with the various landowners we have been hunting on for the past thirteen years. Season opens Sept.1st and this year it's the Monday of labor day weekend so all of us are taking Tuesday off of course. You know any old excuse to take a day off.

We've been invaded by the Eurasians here but I have yet to shoot one. They stay in town and don't venture out in the flat crop country where we shoot. Looking forward to setting up camp, do'in some grill'in and ohhh the cold beer. Can't Wait!

I was out near Canyon City a couple of weeks ago. Saw some turkey and a big covey of quail, but no dove that I recall. Hope you find birds. Are they mainly on the front range?

Pete
Posted By: dogon Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/28/08 01:08 AM
Just got back from the road trip to talk to the farmers we do our Dove shoot on. The good news is everything is lined up and there were probably more Doves then we've ever seen this time of year. Saw several Eurasians in a couple of the small towns we drove through. The general region we hunt is in north eastern Colorado around the town of Yuma.

The bad news is the main landowner that has been great to us for the past thirteen years is now in his mid-eighties. When we pulled into his yard we knew something was astray. Weeds in the driveway, yard unkept, etc. He greeted us as usual invited us in and then proceeded to tell us he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. During the conversation we could tell and see the effects of this terrible disease. He said he had to give up his drivers license and will be moving into town this fall. He then said his son would be taking over and moving into the house. Then he said don't worry, I've talked to my son about you guy's and you'll be able to hunt here as long as he has it. You talk about an absolutely heartbreaking visit. This is the type of guy he is: We camp in his old home place about two miles from where he lives now. During the summer it get pretty over grown, so a couple of day's before the opener he'll hook up the brush hog and mow the entire farm yard so we have a great place to set up camp. Colorado has a walk-in access program that he enrolls all his land into for Pheasant season, when the game & fish expanded the program last year to include Dove season, He told the G & F that he has a group that Dove Hunt's and if he couldn't keep his land out for Dove season for us, he wouldn't sign up for the pheasant season, so G & F went along with him.

When we drove out of his place it was real quiet in the truck for a mile or two. But then we started talking about how we need to do something special for him while he is still able to know how much he has meant to us over the years. Now it's just a matter of figuring out what that might be!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/28/08 02:21 AM
Your story really reminds me a lot of a similar experience my friends and I had about 20 or more yrs ago. We had been dove hunting the beautiful property up in the San Joaquin Vly of an older gentleman for yrs. One season we learned of his passing and that his family chose not to continue his generosity in allowing us to hunt there.
Posted By: Cameron Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/28/08 03:30 AM
Happens too often! The old folks become infirm or pass and then the land becomes off limits or is sold off and divided for homes!

A cousin that lives in Butte was telling me the same thing yesterday! He's hunted antelope on a ranch around Dillon, MT since the late 60's. He said that last year the owner died, the place sold and now is off limits to all hunting!
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/28/08 06:49 PM
dogon, I hate to hear that about this gentleman. Lets hope the son does not decide to sell everything lock stock and barrel like so many sons do these days. Maybe a clean up of his yard will go along way with the new owner. My hunting buddy and I took the time to fix a fence once for a elderly land owner and He allowed us and only us to hunt there untill his passing. Of course his daughter sold all the land after that.
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/28/08 06:49 PM
dogon, I hate to hear that about this gentleman. Lets hope the son does not decide to sell everything lock stock and barrel like so many sons do these days. Maybe a clean up of his yard will go along way with the new owner. My hunting buddy and I took the time to fix a fence once for a elderly land owner and He allowed us and only us to hunt there untill his passing. Of course his daughter sold all the land after that.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/28/08 10:21 PM
I'm headed home to Southern Illinois on the 1st to shoot with family and friends. Spoke with Grandpa and he is keen to go, just got his eyes worked on and can see without glasses now. He was 90 as of our birthday so it's going to be a particular pleasure to see him out in the field.

Destry
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/28/08 11:39 PM
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 12:25 AM
That's a pretty good dove shoot. *wink*

DLH
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 01:16 AM
It was. That is me and my son North of Cordoba in July of 2006. I shot all those birds and the bird boy arranged them. When my buddies saw the setup they all ran over and had their pictures taken with MY birds.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Don Moody Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 01:19 AM
Originally Posted By: dogon
Weeds in the driveway, yard unkept, etc.

When we drove out of his place it was real quiet in the truck for a mile or two. But then we started talking about how we need to do something special for him while he is still able to know how much he has meant to us over the years. Now it's just a matter of figuring out what that might be!

Here is what your y'all can do. Go out there with lawn mowers, weedeaters, whatever it takes to do repairs, and clean the place up for him. Kept it that way until he has to move in the fall.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Looks like Georgia will have a 70 day season, divided into 3 parts extending into January. Opener will miss the Sept.1st labor day holiday since its a monday and be on Sept 6th, a saturday. The limit is expected to be up from 12 birds to 15, and they are considering upping the wood duck limit to 3. (I'll believe that when I see it since the woody limit here has been 2 all my life)...Geo

That's the best news I've heard lately, George, about the increased limits. Are you certain this is correct? I have not seen the new regs, yet.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 02:13 AM
Wow, Mike! South America, where life is cheap...Geo

The little square tails on the birds gave it away.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 02:16 AM
I don't know about life but it took a chunk of my money to hunt there.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
That's the best news I've heard lately, George, about the increased limits. Are you certain this is correct? I have not seen the new regs, yet.

Stan, thats what I got off the Georgia DNR website, so I think it must be so. The wood duck limit is still subject to Fed. approval though...Geo
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 02:22 AM
Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
I don't know about life but it took a chunk of my money to hunt there.

I started hunting Argentina in 1989 when the whitewing shooting in Mex. got to be a hassle. The Cordoba region is great. I quit going in 2000 and changed over to Uruguay where they weren't rioting at banks. Same shooting or better there....Geo
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 02:29 AM
George I would like to find someplace closer to home. The trip down there is at best unpleasant. I have heard of shoots in Central America but I don't know anybody that has hunted there.

Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 02:37 AM
Mike, the whitewing and mourning dove shooting in Central America is no where near in the class with eared dove shooting in SA. I understand Bolivia is good and is a lot closer than the miserable all night flight out of Miami to BA. Some of the guys (the Von Sneiderns) who used to run the Columbia shoots are now operating out of Bolivia. Check Trek Safaris (google it). Of course, a first class ticket makes it all better, but I'm way too cheap (poor) for that...Geo
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 03:12 AM
Yes. From Amarillo we actually fly to Dallas, then to Santiago Chile, and then Cordoba. I am too poor for first class. Last time the plane wasn't full and I was able to stretch out across several seats and sleep. The flight back was full and I did the sardine bit.

Thanks for info on Central America.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 04:24 PM
I know how you boys feel, that 11 hour flight from Houston to BA was torture. I just got back Sunday from a week long duck shoot.

But it was worth it, we really got into the birds and just had an absolute ball.

This may have been the best week I ever spent shooting in my life.

Destry
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 06:42 PM
Destry, if you took any pictures we'd love to see them. The duck hunting along the Parana in BA Province is great isn't it? Just like our own waterfowl hunting but with an entire new line-up of species the migrate backwards and none of'em quack. They do decoy though and there are plenty of them, just so you have a bird ID book in hand to figure out what the heck they all are...Geo
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 08:31 PM
I took quite a few pictures, I'll post them when I get them back from the developer.

After a few days I got to where I could tell a lot of the ducks on the wing which was fun.

Those rosy bills sure make a racket when they fly along, all that grunting and squalling. Almost like an old hen mallard fussing at her brood.

They have 13 species of duck in that area and I managed to shoot nine of them. Amongst our party we got 11 of the 13 including a crossbreed rosy bill pochard / yellow billed pintail which was going to the museum up in BA.

What was really unusual to me was that you couldn't tell drake from hen in some of the species. I remember the first morning, I had quite a few southern widgeon in the bag and figured they were all drakes. When I asked the guide he said no, that the hens were just slightly smaller. Both the pintails and some of the teal were like that too.

Destry
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 08:46 PM
How about the wing colors on those Brazilian Teal! Did you get to bring any back for the taxidermist?/Well you'd better not answer that...Geo
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/29/08 10:27 PM
Those Brazilians were definitely wild looking, the first ones I shot came straight in and all I could see was those big red feet sticking out.

I didn't bring any birds back, just didn't want to go through the hassle. I know how to do it but it's a pain.

Destry
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/30/08 01:44 AM
Mike,

We fly from Jax to Miami to Santiago to Cordoba. I don't mind the all night flight as I can sleep on a plane without much trouble. Lan Chile airlines is a first class airline (even tho' we fly turista class as well). Which outfitter did you use? We use Luis Sier. We've got a group of twenty leaving on August 27th, rented the whole La Paloma Riverside lodge for our group.

I'll bet you shot a whole lot more doves than those shown in that picture on a three hour shoot down there. Looks to be around 150-160 in that photo. I love it down there in late August/early September. Can hardly wait. I've got to order a couple ejectors and springs for my Silver Pigeon II Sporting 20 gauge to take, just in case.

George, that is exciting news on the dove limit. I just wish they would quit bustin' up the season so bad. Let it come back in at Thanksgiving and just stay in until the end of January. Man, I dearly love those cold shoots in peanut fields in the late season, when the big migratory birds have moved down and strafe the field in squadrons. I love dove shooting so much that I am prone to often go to one of my peanut fields and set up a Mojo dove and a few decoys along the top of a center pivot and sit by a tower all alone to get my limit. Just me and my yellow Lab, Fowler. It is nothing short of amazing how the decoys and Mojo will draw birds to me from all over a 100 acre peanut field.

Dove shoots with the "gang" are great fun, but there are times when nothing is more enjoyable than just being alone with your dog in a cold, windswept field trying to limit out on those little grey rockets.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/30/08 03:07 AM
Stan, you feel it like I do...Geo
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/30/08 03:28 AM
You guys are making me jealous! I will have to say, I have been on hunts in Bama where there was so many birds I literally had to let them fly over my head, or I would have limited in 15 minutes (and I am a average shot) Of course there is also those opening days where your lucky to shoot at 15 or 20! If I ever get together some "extra" income I will have to go on one of those Argentina hunts.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/30/08 04:01 AM
Charles Arndt w/ Fin & Feather Safaris(Birmingham, AL) has some destinations in the North part of South America. Boliva and Ecuador are stable from time to time but Colombia can get rough. I'll agree that the trip South to Argentina/Chile can be taxing if the plane is 2 deep on the sides and 3-4 deep in the center. The bigger the plane, the better.

But the free range beef is excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And if you dove shoot you'll need all that extra income to pay for all those cases you keep breaking into. I can't shoot ducks anywhere without the shoves following me. First crack out of the box on the first morning near the end of June, I down a Red Shove/spoonbill. I consider the teal and whistlers(ciriri) to be sporty shooting, but won't pass many times and sometimes not a all before they are in your mustache and on the water. But hunting, not shooting, Perdiz w/ a German Wirehair tops my list. That coupled w/ very sparce cell phone service, no tv; approaching getting back to basics.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/30/08 02:49 PM
Stan on that trip I went to Estancia Santa Ana. Very long (1-1/2 hours) drive to the dove fields. Excellent rooms, board and service. Lots of birds!

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/30/08 10:24 PM
Mike,

Last time with Luis there was not a single drive to the fields from the lodge that was over 15 minutes. Several times I don't believe the engine got warmed up good. In fact, the last afternoon we shot right beside la Paloma Riverside in a field by the river. Sure hope that trip was not a fluke and that this next one will be just as good.

With the possibility of a very undesirable person in the White House next term, coupled with the Congress we have now, I'm tempted to look around for a nice estancia for sale and move down there. Just can't bear to leave my two sons and three grandsons, tho'.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/30/08 11:02 PM
If I'd make some kind of an unexpected financial windfall, I'd buy the one right next to you.

Boys if you ain't been down there figure out a way to go, it's the place to be.

DLH
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 01:19 AM
chux I love dove hunting in the US. One of the things I enjoy is hunting with my dogs. Not that they are super dove dogs, just that they are mine. I was afraid I would lose interest in dove hunting here if I went to Argentina but the opposite has happened and I have started hunting dove more here.

Stan last summer Joe Wood and I went to Los Chanares and the drives were sub 15 minutes and that was a major improvement. It adds another two or so hours of hunting each day.

Raimey that area interests me. I also have a keen interest in going on a big pigeon shoot down there with a 12 gauge Winchester 21.

Stan I think it is just like Dorothy said' "There is no place like home. There is no place like home."

Destry if you or Stan get a place down there I hope you will let me come down and be a bird boy now and then. I will fetch for shells.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 01:39 AM
Mike:

For pigeons and doves give Santiago Del Estero a look at http://www.sycsporting.com . Now it's about 6 or 7 hours(depends on traffic and if the truckers or farmers are on strike) North of Cordoba. Wait a couple years and there will be an airstrip there which will make the trip a little easier. For now I won't fly 10-12 hours and then ride 6 hours back to back to a lodge. It's just too much travel. Given a days rest and I'd ride 5 or so hours. But the outfitters want you to come directly to the lodge and hit the ground running in hunting the afternoon you arrive.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Chris Baumohl Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 02:02 AM
Ok, I couldn't resist....got back 3 weeks ago. We were near the town of Esquina in Argentina. Great shooting, food, etc. We went through Trek. Our second trip to this lodge. I really can't wait to go back.

Posted By: ellenbr Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 02:07 AM
Chris:

Did you get all those Roseys out of the same flock??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 02:11 AM
Long as this thread has turned into a travelogue on South America, let me make this somewhat educated observation: The dove only trips are TOO much dove shooting and the shells at $12 a box add an unexpected and substantial expense. If you go, book a mixed-bag type trip where you shoot doves a couple of days to get it out of your system, and then ducks in the mornings a few days mixed with afternoon perdiz hunts over pointing dogs or decoyed picazura and spot-wing Pigeon shooting in the afternoon. For perdiz or ducks the trip needs to be booked during their Fall season which is May to July. Uruguay is a little less expensive than Argentina..Geo
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 02:16 AM
chux I apologize for hijacking your thread!

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Chris Baumohl Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 02:20 AM
Me too Chuck,

Raimey, that is the result of a morning of duck shooting in a HUGE pasture. Cows everywhere, Gaucho's moving them around. Shot over a good sized water hole.

Geo., you forgot one of the fun things to add to the list of activities!!! We shot ducks, dove, pigeon, Perdiz and fished. There might have been a parakeet or two in one of the bags as well... Shells were $14/box.

Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 02:26 AM
Amarillo, dont worry about it, I am enjoying the banter, and am drooling over the prospects of a trip. My problem if it is a problem is I am a passionate fly fisherman, even more so then my bird dog or double guns. I take 2 or 3 fishing trips every year. One to North Georgia, the others to just about everywhere. We pull a Rv and it gets pretty expensive. I guess I need to start another travel fund!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 02:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Chris Baumohl
Geo., you forgot one of the fun things to add to the list of activities!!

Chris, I neglected to mention a couple of "fun things to do", but this is a Family Site. Nice Dorado...Geo
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 09:08 AM
Chris,

I wonder why PhotoBucket would delete your picture? I post hunting photos from there all the time.

Destry
Posted By: Chris Baumohl Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 01:36 PM
D,

Dunno, went back and relinked it and it seems to be working now.

I am not wearing my "IT" shirt today I guess!!!

Let's see your pics!!!!

Geo..... I have no idea what you are talking about...

Chris
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 04:21 PM
Chris, Did you catch the "carp" on a cane pole? We only are 37 days away from Blast off here in Ga.!

I am still wanting to go to South America if any of you have an open slot on a trip for 09.
Posted By: CJO Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 05:44 PM

Good thing to see you fellows are spending your hard earned money in Argentina!,...gives a good boost to the ever constant slumping economy,...my friends an relatives thank you!

PS:...make sure you tip heavy

CJ
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 07:57 PM
CJ you have family in Argentina?

Best,

Mike
Posted By: CJO Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 08:34 PM
Yes!...just about all of it, was born and raised in Baires( that's our slang for Bs As)... we were the only bunch that came here 35 years ago,..seems like yesterday

CJ
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 08:38 PM
Have you sent them a copy of the picture of me that you won?

I will be down there next year with my son.

I expected to see some high quality leather goods when I was down there last but didn't. We shopped very little. Where would one look in Cordoba for a deal on a high quality handmade gun case or shell bag?

Best,

Mike
Posted By: CJO Re: cant wait for dove season - 07/31/08 08:52 PM
Never did get my prize,...I thought you were yanking my chain

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll find much of that stuff in Cordoba,...the only place you might find that is downtown Baires,...avenida Corrientes or Florida, in the heart of the city,..and it won't be cheap if you do find it, and it most likely come from Spain

CJ
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 03:20 AM
[quote=Geo. Newbern] The dove only trips are TOO much dove shooting and the shells at $12 a box add an unexpected and substantial expense.

Each to his own, George. I don't have it out of my system after four days. The shell cost is substantial, but not unexpected. I knew/know up front what the trip is going to cost, determine approximately how much extra I will be willing to spend for "extra" shells above the 2500 Luis allows with the trip, and have no regrets about doing so. Only reason I come home after ONLY four days of it is (1) shortage of liquid assets (2) miss my family (3)dying to get back and pick peanuts.

I guess I've just got this sickness when it comes to doves. I returned home from Cordoba in '04 on a Thursday after shooting 4400 shells and couldn't wait for the season to open here two days later so that I would have the chance to take a measly 12 bird limit. I've got it bad, caught it in '59 at age 8. I just think it is some of the finest shotgunning sport that can be had.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 03:31 AM
Stan you are right of course, if you're a dove nut, and I am, the only limit is what you can afford as a shell bill. Have you noticed that you can not miss a dove at home after one of these trips?...Geo
Posted By: Tyler Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 06:19 PM
For you Alabama shooters. All the proceeds from Log a Load goes to the Children's Hospital in Birmingham. I have helped with a clays shoot at Westervelt for years. This is the first time for a dove shoot but it should be a good shoot and will certainly benifit a great cause.

http://www.alaforestry.org/ftp/LALWalkerCountyDoveShoot.pdf
http://www.alaforestry.org/ftp/LALWalkerDoveShootRegistrationForm.pdf
Good luck!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 06:27 PM
Good for you, Tyler. Great cause! I wish you well and hope lots of money is raised to go to the hospital.
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 08:31 PM
Tyler, thats great, I raised 5400 for the Childrens Miracle Network earlier this year, its a great cause, especially when you have visited one of the hospitals. How far is Parrish from Huntsville? Directions? and how big and what kind of field is it?
Posted By: Tyler Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 09:35 PM
There are phone numbers on the links. I have never been there but know there have been a lot of good shoots in Walker Co. I will not be there, too far from here. Just passing along the info.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 10:04 PM
I'm kinda sitting on the fence on my excitement about the dove season. Here in SoCal/SoWest, the areas where there are good numbers are generally somewhere between 115-120F on Sept 1. I'm just not all that enthusiastic to get out in that kind of heat with or without my dog even though I'm getting kinda antsie about getting out shooting/hunting. Anyone else?
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I'm kinda sitting on the fence on my excitement about the dove season. Here in SoCal/SoWest, the areas where there are good numbers are generally somewhere between 115-120F on Sept 1. I'm just not all that enthusiastic to get out in that kind of heat with or without my dog even though I'm getting kinda antsie about getting out shooting/hunting. Anyone else?

Chuck at your age I think being cautious about being out in the heat is smart.

My biggest worry is rattelsnakes and I worry both for me and my dogs. I wear leggings and my dogs have been vaccinated and snake trained. The highs around here in early September are ususally around 90F so as long as I have water I feel my dogs won't overheat. And certainly a young man like me doesn't worry about heat.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Chuck H Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 10:55 PM
Brad,
Just for that, I'm going to get Angie out of the safe and rub her butt...again.

Here's another pic of Angie, in case you forgot what she looks like.

Posted By: Tyler Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 11:23 PM
I will never forget opening day of 2000 in Ms. It was 109 degrees with a hot breeeze blowing. Never have I been so uncomfortable in search of fun. My journal entry for that day said that I was glad I had not brought a guest. If it stays this dry in W Ala and E Ms, I know where there is a waterhole that may pan out after they finish cutting that $6 corn. I need to check on its current ownership. I have made it a point to stay on good terms with the last two generations of owners (since 1999) but I understand my last contact "passed" over the winter. Need to load some 28's and get in some practice. Looks like the curse of football may take up my time and my partners (my son) this year. I am not sure my ego could survive much more abuse. He was starting to wax me regular last fall @ 14. Enough of my rambling. Sept 1 in Ms and I have not checked North Ala.
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/01/08 11:46 PM
sept. 6th in n.alabama..and oh yeah..it will be a hot one..but we have coolers full of water, frog togg neck wraps, and shade stands. And of course cigars, grill for burgers, we make a day out of shooting for a couple of hours. Lets not forget the ice cold beer after the shooting is done.
Posted By: KMcMichael Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/02/08 01:25 AM
I lived near Blythe, CA in the early nineties and remember that almost every year someone died of the heat during dove season. There was some good dove hunting near there.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/02/08 02:21 AM
chux what is a frog togg neck wrap?

Chuck henceforth I shall refer to your beautiful Fox as Angelina.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/02/08 02:38 AM
Amarillo..its a wrap made my frogg togg, available at most good golf shops, its very stiff untill you put in cold water or ice water then your roll it up and wrap it around your neck brings down your core temp.quite a bit. Works wonders on those hot days, I use mine cutting grass, golf, sporting clays. really does a good job keeping you cool. It stays cold for a couple of hours.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/02/08 01:40 PM
Thank you chux!

Mike
Posted By: chux Re: cant wait for dove season - 08/05/08 05:02 AM
Amarillo, its actually called a Chill wrap..and I strongly suggest it to anyone thats in the heat. its a great 14.99 investment.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com