doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ironman5 Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 12:23 AM
Bought a case today that I was wanting some info on. It opens at both ends (I think this is called an "Elliot" style case). Absolutely beautiful condition with heavy stitching and great hardware. Barrels can go in from either end. Stock and action from only one. It is marked A&F Co. on each end and has a serial # and 30 (barrel length) but that is it, no other writing.

Did Abercrombie actually make gun cases? Or was this made by another company (like redhead or muhholland) and distributed by A&F? And is it called an Elliot style case or did I dream that up? Does the serial # indicate that A&F gun once went in it?

I have a half a dozen old leg-o-mutton cases that are all nice, but this A&F case is head and shoulders above in quality and craftsmanship. Is there any way to figure out when a case was made?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 12:52 AM
The serial number could be from any brand of gun. Give us the number and someone may be able to guess what make of gun it was. Abercrombie and Fitch Elliott cases (you are correct about the terminology) appear to be made by Red Head, Brauer Brothers, or another maker, but not A&F. It has been suggested by some researchers that H.H. Heiser may have made A&F Elliott cases, but those researchers have obviously never seen a Heiser case. Heiser Elliott and leg of mutton cases are in another world entirely.
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 12:57 AM
Serial # is 1756FD

Are they still currently made?
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 09:38 AM
A&F never really made anything, they were like a lot of the old time sporting goods companies that had quality products produced by others with their name on them. They've been out of the real sporting goods business for a long time, these days they're just a clothing line for college kids.

Destry
Posted By: eightbore Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 11:36 AM
Markethunter is right about gun cases, A&F not being in the gun case manufacturing business. However, A&F had an entire sewing operation, on which floor I can't recall. It looked like a nineteenth century sweatshop with banks of sewing machines and whatever. This room couldn't have been dedicated just to repairs and alterations. There was too much going on. In my opinion, from seeing the room firsthand, they were making something but I don't know what.
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 11:56 AM
Aprox. When did A&F get out of the sporting goods business? 1960's?

I've seen a Heiser case before. They are very nice, but the ones I've been around were "tooled" all over like a Gene Autry parade saddle. Not my cup-o-tea, but you could still tell they were quality.

Wouldn't the maker still put their mark somewhere on the case?

8-bore, was A&F based out of NYC? When did you see their facility?
Posted By: Bob Beach Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 04:48 PM
Abercrombie & Fitch was a New York instituton for about 85 years, opening in 1892. They finally closed their doors in 1977. Wikipedia has a fairly complete and concise history of the company up through the present day. Here's the link -

A&F
Posted By: eightbore Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 05:39 PM
Ironman, the Heiser product line included very conservative cases as well as the Mexican carved variety. Heiser not only marked their cases with a stamped logo but most items included brass reinforcement rivets with the HH logo. As Mr. Beach posted, A&F closed in late 1977. I don't know the date of the final liquidation auction, but it was probably in early or mid 1978. I can't seem to locate my auction catalog. I expected to see guns at the liquidation auction, but there were none. The seventh floor gun department was cleared of almost all retail items and what remained was mostly furniture, desks, filing cabinets and trash. The filing cabinets still contained what was in there before the store closed. I don't know when the stock of the store was sold, but the final liquidation displayed very little actual stock. I believe that Griffin and Howe had vacated the seventh floor at an earlier date. Mr. Beach will clarify that. I first started visiting A&F in about 1958 or 1959 and 1978 was my last visit.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 05:43 PM
Here is one I picked up at auction a while back.Does it look like yours Ironman?

Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 06:47 PM
It's identical to that one. Same color same tooling.Are our serial #'s close?

I paid $175 for mine (which is alot to me). But every good gun needs a good case. I have to think they sold for more than that when they were made.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 07:42 PM
We have a pair my friend,Just dug mine out,its "1756 FD",well almost mine is 28.It also has L.E.U in the center (somebody famous no doubt !).I looked I can load the gun (I keep a Parker DH in it) from one end,the other end opens up but just a small storage area (stash some gold oz bars-US dollars are just about worthless).
Mine is nicely made,heavy brass fittings.I don't recall what I paid but I think between 1-200.
Wonder what that 1756 FD is? a maker code?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 08:04 PM
It seems to be a maker's code because I have an Elliott case with no A&F markings on it that is stamped 1756F. It looks like a Red Head case to me.
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 09:10 PM
That's good info. Makes me feel better knowing it wasn't seperated from a specific gun.

Does Redhead still make a case like this?
Posted By: Norm Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 09:22 PM
I got one yesterday that has only "30" on one of the straps - no markings on the other strap. This one also has previous owner's initials (K N H)on the side. Hinges and straps on it are shot, and need replacing. Any lead on where to get a key for the locks?

What was normally stored in the short area?
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 09:47 PM
$200 or less would be a major bargain on one of those cases if it was in any kind useable condition. I'd love to have a 30 inch one for my Parker BH.

The Redhead name is owned by Bass Pro these days and I think all they make under it anymore is a clothing line. Really no cases like this have been made (except on a custom basis) for quite awhile.

Destry

P.S. to Norm: Get in touch with Kevin McCormack over on the Parker Gun BBS. He does repair work on this type of stuff and I've seen some amazing repairs he's been able to do. Might have a lead on keys as well, no idea on that.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/26/08 10:04 PM
I suspect the short area might be for cleaing jag,fluid,patches brush.
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 01:47 AM
Short side holds a box of low pressure #6 shot very nicely. But I'd say Dave K's right on original use.
Posted By: Gordon W Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 11:00 AM
I have a Red Head case that has the A&F logo on the carrying strap. The code on it is 175FRA with 26 below. It has buckles on each end just like the one in the picture. Its a leg of mutton case - only opens on one end.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 04:31 PM
Just to illustrate the post:

The photo was taken 20 days ago at the A&F store on 5th Ave.
Muskets, hammer doubles, a hammer drilling and some very nice gun cases with a backdrop of old hickory skis. Nice historic look.

JC
Posted By: eightbore Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 07:42 PM
Where are the barechested young boys?
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 09:37 PM
Yeah, My teenage daughter thinks I'm cool because I'm on here talking about Abercrombie $ Fitch (If she ooonly knew). I guess we can like the same company for different reasons. They sure did sell some very nice stuff.

Was this picture taken of a nostalgic display that was designed to sell clothes to young college men? Not to be stereotypical, BUT most of the guys I see wearin A&F don't seem like the huntin type - If ya know what I mean!
Posted By: Dave K Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 09:47 PM
I can remember getting catalogs from Eddie Bauer when they sold oneida leghold traps and fox lure !Thangs have changed,damn I guess I am getting older.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 09:51 PM
I5, "nostalgic display" is a precise definition.

JC
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 10:06 PM
If that's the kind of stuff they're selling at A&F these days I take what I said back. My guess is that's just a "display" though isn't it?

DLH
Posted By: JayCee Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/27/08 10:34 PM
Eightbore, this is for you:

The wife wanted a souvenir. What was I to do except take the shot?

JC
Posted By: eightbore Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/28/08 11:07 AM
It looks like a doctored photo. Most A&F advertising would include another barechested boy, not a girl.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/28/08 01:49 PM
Eightbore, that girl is actually my better half.

JC
Posted By: gunut Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/28/08 03:15 PM
but what is that extended belt supposed to represent?????
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/28/08 03:55 PM
JayCee, We've never met - but I can just tell you're OVER-acheiving in the women department. Hubba-Hubba she's pirrrty!
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/29/08 06:53 AM
Originally Posted By: gunut

Unfortunately that belt wouldn't be so over-extended on a few of us here! :-( Those were the days........
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/29/08 01:21 PM
A&F N.Y. workshop courtesy of dt/cc

Posted By: JayCee Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/29/08 05:03 PM
Short sleeved safari jackets and some tweeds maybe?

JC
Posted By: gunut Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/29/08 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Blair
Originally Posted By: gunut

Unfortunately that belt wouldn't be so over-extended on a few of us here! :-( Those were the days........

Are you insinuating that many of us are taking on the physique of a sanctioned TRAP shooter....
Posted By: JayCee Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Case - 06/29/08 05:40 PM
Gunut, Sigmund could have said: "Sometimes a belt is just a belt", but in this case I kinda doubt it.

JC
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com