doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: William2 Gun oil V. silicon oil - 03/09/08 10:41 PM
Hi there.
I am just wondering if I could use silicone oil instead of gun oil to lubricate my gun?.

Silicone oil is inert, and should theoretically lubricate and protect my gun from wear/moisture.

Any ideas on this ?
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Gun oil V. silicon oil - 03/10/08 12:52 AM
Sure. Gun wiping rags contain silicone. Many gun "oils" claim to contain silicone. I would want it to be thicker than what comes out of a spray can, though.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Gun oil V. silicon oil - 03/10/08 04:32 AM
Well, if you don't ever believe the gun will be refinished, silicone will lubricate well. Is it necessary? Not in my opinion. Will there be any measureable value in silicone over conventional or synthetic oils? I would highly doubt it. The big downside is that the wood will be nearly impossible to refinish if silicones get into it. Just my opinion, but I'd stick with conventional oils.
Posted By: keith Re: Gun oil V. silicon oil - 03/10/08 07:02 AM
I'll second ChuckH's opinion. I understand silicone can get into the pores of metal and under ribs, etc. and cause problems with rebluing too. I know several automotive body refinishers whose comments on the problems they have with silicone contamination would not be fit conversation for drunk sailors. Great stuff for waterproofing leather boots though.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Gun oil V. silicon oil - 03/10/08 11:54 AM
Besides oil, I'd add grease to the tool kit. Make that Mobil #28 grease, too.
Posted By: OB Re: Gun oil V. silicon oil - 03/10/08 05:10 PM
Apparently there are several silicone solvents on the market.

This is one Google found: http://www.valco-cp.com/solvent200.htm

I can't seem to find a price, but might be worth it in some cases.

OB
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Gun oil V. silicon oil - 03/10/08 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: William2

Silicone oil is inert, and should theoretically lubricate and protect my gun from wear/moisture.

Any ideas on this ?

Any decent gun oil is intended to do the above.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Gun oil V. silicon oil - 03/10/08 11:51 PM
I'm with chuck on this one, I know there are silicone solvents, but I avoid it even to the point of stocking silicon free gun slips. I won't put any custom or high grade gun in a green gun slip.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com