doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Information on Capt. E.C Crossman - 03/02/08 02:35 AM
Does anyone have a reference to an Obit. or a bio on the great Capt. Crossman? I have searched Google and Ancestry.com with no success.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Information on Capt. E.C Crossman - 03/02/08 02:45 AM
Can you remind me when he died and I'll see what I have.

Posted By: paul buchanan Re: Information on Capt. E.C Crossman - 03/02/08 12:56 PM
He committed suicide. I'm sure it was written up in the Rifleman.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Information on Capt. E.C Crossman - 03/02/08 02:03 PM
Here is an interesting ad and picture of E.C. Crossman

[img][/img]
Posted By: PeteM Re: Information on Capt. E.C Crossman - 03/02/08 03:02 PM
Walt,

Is this your boy or do I have the wrong Crossman?

Name: Edward Crossman
SSN: 017-03-6238
Last Residence: 02780 Taunton, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States of America
Born: 2 Sep 1881
Died: Dec 1966
State (Year) SSN issued: Massachusetts (Before 1951 )

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Edward C Crossman
Home in 1930: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Iowa
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Blanche
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Edward C Crossman 48
Blanche Crossman 45
Edward B Crossman 20

There are a few hits in the New York Times Archives for him as well. I didn't try any other papers...

Pete
Its nice to be able to return a favor. This is from Jim Casada's intro to "The Book Of The Springfield". Captain Edward C. Crossman (1889 - 1939)was a very prolific gun writer and the only writer of his era to make a living of writing for magazines. He was the dean of gun writers for the period from WW1 to his death, which is impressive as the era included Whelan, Hatcher & Klephart. His first magazine contribution was in 1904 and he was a regular in "Arms and the Man" and its successor "American Rifleman" from that point. There is a lot more but I need to run out the door. If you would like I can try to type the whole into later, about 3 pages. This is from the NRA Firearms Classics Edition.
Posted By: RMC Re: Information on Capt. E.C Crossman - 03/02/08 03:29 PM
Walt, Sorry to intrude on your posting. As usual, I am not able to contact you through the PM function. I have an Ithaca question for you regarding difference between Flues 20b, 1 and 1 1/2 grade. Appreciate a contact. Randy (raven@freeway.net)
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Information on Capt. E.C Crossman - 03/02/08 05:08 PM
Walt, Send me your email and I will send you a full size copy. Not sure what more you need, I have a large Crossman file so let me know.

Thank you to all who have responded! Your help is very much appreciated!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com