doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: George L. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 12:40 AM
I'm sure most of you know the name SFC David Mosteller with the 82nd. Airborne stationed in Iraq. He bought an A.H. Fox "A" Grade from me which I sent to his girlfriend in Virginia. David rotates home in April. A number of you were kind enough to offer him engraving, new stock blanks & stock work and a number of hunting trips all over the country.

His e-mail to me today said how much he was enjoying the Mike McIntosh book on Fox that I sent him. He said they ("the powers that be")had blocked the troops internet access to ALL gun web sites (which I guess includes this one as well), so they'll have to wait until they return to the world to be able to look at guns again.

My comment back to him was: "I wonder who the pinhead, pencil pushing, pussy of a desk pilot was that came up with that wonderful idea?" Those guys are in harm's way and as far as I am concerned should have the right to look at whatever web sites they want to in their off time. How could troops looking at guns be detrimental to the war effort? What do they think they fight terrorists with anyway, flyswaters? Perhaps, the "peace loving people of Iraq" and all those other sand box countries might be offended if they knew our troops were looking at guns on the internet. I'm sur Al-Quaida and the Taliban restricts their troops in the same way. I guess that I've just lived too long and don't understand how things work anymore! Anyhow, keep sending David and our other troops those e-mails. They are like LETTERS FROM HOME.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 01:45 AM
Why don't you send that story to Bill O'Reilly and see if he can do a spot on his show about it?
Posted By: JM Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 01:50 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, Bill Riley supports gun control. What about Shawn Hannity?
Posted By: King Brown Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 04:19 AM
Wouldn't Bill Maher be your man? He has an eye for the ridiculous.
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 05:52 AM
Some of the people who are in Iraq and other "hot spots" used to not only visit gun forums, but also share their experience re; how certain weapons show up in actual combat situations, enemy and allies tactics, and so on. Until recently, I've seen such infoeven reprinted on Russian gun forums, with translation and comments. It looks like the military is concerned with the possibility that somebody might slip out some classified info.
Posted By: cadet Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 07:07 AM
What humpty dumpty said re slip ups giving away intel.

Also, locals are employed in many military facilities in a number of capacities; certainly Australian troops deployed in those places may not be sent magazines showing scantily clad (let alone nude) women, the idea being not to offend or alienate any locals who see inside.

Can't see that guns would be an issue though...
RG
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 12:38 PM
David said the other day, in an email I got from him, that he will be rotating home before too long. I can believe the ban on Gun and Girlie websites, we seem to be trying to make it as tough as possible for our warriors in the field. Bad pay, lack of follow thru medical care...sad. We will be hosting David here at "Hunters" next season, hopefully,then he can look at all the guns he wants!
Posted By: George L. Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 05:46 PM
Just got a bit of clarification from David. It seems that their internet cable in the Indian Ocean got cut so they are blocking any internet surfing until the problem gets fixed. That makes me feel a bit better.

Best regards, George
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 08:02 PM
Very. Hope he turns up here again soon...
Posted By: JM Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/06/08 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: King Brown
Wouldn't Bill Maher be your man? He has an eye for the ridiculous.

Bill Maher used to associate with PeTA. Don't know if this is still the case. Go figure that the host of Politically Incorrect had some political correctness issues.
Posted By: George L. Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/07/08 12:11 AM
Just heard from David, said the doublegunsite is blocked to him as well. He will transfer from Sadr City to Kuwait in early March & due to arrive back in the world April 1 (I hope that he's not superstitious). He really wants a 20 gauge A.H. Fox, either graded or SW (he has a 16 SW). If any of you can find a good one for him at a good price please let him know at george.mosteller@us.army.mil

Best....George
Posted By: George L. Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/07/08 12:13 AM
Just heard from David, said the doublegunsite is blocked to him as well. He will transfer from Sadr City to Kuwait in early March & due to arrive back in the world April 1 (I hope that he's not superstitious). He really wants a 20 gauge A.H. Fox, either graded or SW (he has a 16 SW). If any of you can find a good one for him at a good price please let him know at george.mosteller@us.army.mil

Best....George .....By the way. This is his fourth tour since 2001. That say's a lot!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/07/08 01:43 PM
I certainly support the troops . . . but bad pay, Last Dollar? They're way better off, even considering inflation, than those that served in previous wars. And they deserve every dime.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/07/08 02:58 PM
This website has military pay scales and the additional allowances given for certain conditions http://www.militarytimes.com/money/pay_charts/?gclid=CLX20YGnspECFSFaagodbXM0fw

I'm not familiar with all of it but it starts with basic pay and then there's clothing allowance, housing allowance, imminent danger pay, hardship duty pay, COLA, housing, and so on. Somebody that has actually been to Iraq lately could tell us which of these a regular GI actually qualifies for.
Posted By: James M Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/07/08 08:07 PM
George:
I've emailed you twice on an item you have for sale and still haven't received a response? My email is italianstallion@cox.net
Jim
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/07/08 10:08 PM
Like I said, they are poorly paid.........
Posted By: khanh Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/07/08 10:24 PM
What do you think about the specialty bonuses for physicians? 350k retention bonuses for radiologists, anesthesiologists and vascular surgeons.
Posted By: George L. Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/08/08 02:06 AM
Jim: I haven't rec'd either of your e-mails. My e-mail address is palmettotreasure@aol.com. I am going to send you an e-mail now.

Best regards, George
Posted By: shep Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/09/08 01:30 PM
This story belongs on Glen Becks's show.
Posted By: King Brown Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/09/08 07:51 PM
Deserve every dime is right, Larry. The contrails of the big lifters taking US troops to and from Iraq lace the sky over my home. One landed in Halifax recently, bringing home several wounded from a bomb-blast in Iraq, one needing emergency surgical assistance. A civilian doctor worked for a half-hour in the darkened and noisy cavern with the aircraft engines running---and lost him--- while medical personnel tried to shield his buddies from the outcome.
Posted By: Stever Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? - 02/10/08 03:11 AM
I don't know if all DOD (Department of Defense) is doing this or not, but the Air Force Base that I work at (I am retired Air Force now working for a defense contractor maintaining aircraft simulators) has put a block on a wide range of web sites that are not determined to be mission-related. This includes pretty much all gun-related sites - including this forum - and mutual fund sites like American Century Funds. The story is that they are trying to make the system more secure and to reduce use of band width that is impacting mission use. Sounds like a bit too much surfing is going on. THis may be what is going on in Iraq, too - they need the band width for mission use, not surfing? Just a thought. And, yes, by the way, they deserve every dime and more!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com