doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Charles Boswell - 02/02/08 09:54 PM
Hi all, here's another one for you english gun experts (I learn alot from you guys BTW). What can you tell me about this maker from your experience. I know some of the background, but would be interested to know about his guns.

Thanks as always!!!

Greg
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Charles Boswell - 02/02/08 09:57 PM
Greg the Boswell guns that I've owned have been some of my favorites. Very well made guns and on mine the engraving was outstanding. Much better than expected for a non "best". I always check out any that I hear are for sale. I don't find that many but I've bought everyone that I've found.
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 12:13 AM
A complete history of Charles Boswell is to be found in the late Geoffrey Boothroyds book, "Shotguns and Gunsmiths", pages 76-80.
Charles Boswell was a practical,hands on gunmaker, who offered quality guns at a reasonable cost; "so says his catalogue of 1902!" My experience with a Boswell, live pigeon gun, has been excellent. Over the past thirty years I have fired thosands of rounds through this gun and it is still perfect in every respect.If you post a picture of the Boswell gun you have an interest in,I can likely provide info; on same.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 12:33 AM
I have owned only one, a 1900 vintage pigeon gun with Krupp steel barrels. Absolutely some of the very best tiny English rose and scroll engraving I have seen, and the gun seems to fit me like it was made for me. I have shot this gun better than just about any I have owned, and that's a lot. A high quality London made gun.
Posted By: gjw Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 12:48 AM
Thanks all, Say Roy, the gun is for sale by Hill Rod and Gun, Bozeman MT. I sure would be grateful for any info you can provide if you want to check it out. That goes for anyone, I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

It's the 16ga BTW

I hope I'm not cutting my throat here. I think I'm going to go for it.

Thanks again to all of you!!!

Greg
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 12:58 AM
Very very very nice gun. Beatuiful engraving. That is a lot of money for a sleeved 16 gauge English boxlock. I don't know how to tell if the sleeving is a good job. You could pattern it to see if it is regulated correctly - or have Charlie pattern it for you. I would shop some more to see if I could find a gun with original barrels.

Charlie is a straight up guy and I have bought 3 guns from him and returned a one. I trust him.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: JM Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 01:26 AM
Boswell made decent guns from the ones I've seen. A friend of mine has a boxlock, and it's been a good reliable gun.

Didn't someone buy the rights to Boswell's name with the intention of making his guns again?
Posted By: gjw Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 05:03 AM
HI JM, Chris Batha bought the rights. They are still being made. You can google the site under: Charles Boswell Gunmaker.

All the best!!

Greg
Posted By: smlekid Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 06:37 AM
Boswell guns seem very common here in Australia there must have been a lot sold here over the years seem to be very well made guns most I have seen have been Boxlocks both ejector and non there are a few Sidelocks around they do have very nice engraving the guns I have seen have had game scene
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 12:30 PM
Having reviewed the picture of the Boswell at Hill,s, I have the following comments. Because Boswell,s records were destroyd in W.W.2; the design of the action,address on the rib and the "origional proof marks," are key to estimating the date of manufacture. If the adress on the rib is NOT, "126 Strand," the gun was made prior to 1884. The style of the hammers [not low profile] suggests a gun from the 1880-90,s. The gun has the classic Boswell pigeon gun action; Greener cross bolt, Purdey under bolt,Side clips and file cut rib.The finish and engraving on the on the gun is, in my opinion, not Boswell,s best.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 12:40 PM
Roy he's not talking about the hammergun. It's the 16ga BLEJ. Nice engraving on it. Overall it's a nice looking gun. Nice wood.
Posted By: gjw Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 01:55 PM
Hey Roy Thanks, but I'm looking at the hammerless 16ga. It's the 6th gun down from the hammer gun. Again, any info you can provide will be appreciated!

Thanks kindly!

Greg
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 09:11 PM
Sorry for the seniors moment! The 16 G.Boswell is a good example of his best boxlock. In 1902 this quality of gun sold for 35 pounds stirling.[At that time approx;the equivalent of 18 weeks pay for the average tradesman]. By comparison Boswell,s best sidelock was priced at 50 Guineas [or 52.5 pounds stirling]. Note the chage in price structure; this was because The landed gentry of the day was used to paying in Guineas for best London S.L.E. guns!!
I am sure you will want to check the quality of the sleeving, because the asking price is high for a sleeved gun.
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Charles Boswell - 02/03/08 09:40 PM
A Canadian friend has a Boswell boxlock pigeon gun,12,G.Serial #12758. Inset in the stock is a large gold oval engraved as follows:
"BOSWELL GUN COMPETITION"
Won by:H.Garratt Esq;
N.S.W. GUN CLUB, BOTANY.
1ST, COMP; JULY 19, 26 YDS; KILLING 22 BIRDS.
2ND, COMP; OCT,18, 27 YDS; KILLING 9 BIRDS.
Unfortunately this gun is in a poor condition and because of cost, restoration is not a viable option.
Posted By: gjw Re: Charles Boswell - 02/04/08 12:12 AM
Thanks Roy, I sure do appreicate all your help!!

And thanks again to all of you!

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: Montana Re: Charles Boswell - 02/04/08 06:27 PM
Ask how far forward of the hinge pin the gun balances? I would try to compare this piece to the Webley and Scott 701 further down on the site.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Charles Boswell - 02/04/08 09:43 PM
Better yet, ask how far forward of the (front) trigger the gun balances. Then, you can compare it to guns you can measure for reference. The hinge pin is not a fixed location relative to the hands. Balance tells you how the weight is proportioned between the hands, so the balance point to reference point must be for the hands. The trigger positively locates to the rear hand.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Charles Boswell - 02/05/08 12:01 AM
That gun is an example of Boswells "best" boxlock?? C'mon, he could do better than that I would think. For the money, I would step up and buy the Gallyons that Duncan has listed on his site. That is a good looking gun. Not a 16, but a light 12 is better anyway :-)
http://hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12371
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Charles Boswell - 02/05/08 12:57 PM
as were at it..how about the Watson Sidelock....very pretty, sleeved like the Boswell but a side lock & a bit cheaper.
I thinks its very attractive anyhoo.
http://hillrodandgun.com/images/guns/SCN0019.jpg
OOOoop, forgot hunt was for 16bore...MyBad
Franc
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com