doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tim Frazier Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 02:24 AM
I just recently took this picture and after fooling with it a little I really think it's my favorite of all the game/gun/dog pictures I've taken. Do you have one.

Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 02:52 AM
No gun but along the same lines:

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Bill G. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 02:55 AM
This was the last day of a really great trip out to SD. Great birds, great dogs, fine doubles, and good friends. It just doesn't get any better.

Bill G.

[img][/img]
Posted By: battle Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 03:20 AM
First grouse for me!
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 04:22 AM
Brody, 2 Phez, and a 16ga Fox.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 04:44 AM

Me and my Turkey Dog Buster and his first fall longbeard. Shot with a W & C Scott a few years ago.
Posted By: RMC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 06:18 AM
jOe, Thats the photo I remember. At the time you posted that photo I was curious about the sxs you had in your hand. Either your one big guy or that is a nice petite sxs. Randy
Posted By: CJO Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 06:46 AM

This is "Diamond" back around 94,... probably the best dog I've ever had the priviledge to hunt over, been gone about 5years now
and my first Parker,...a minty DHE,...sold it in a moment of weakness,....haven't found one like it since
Posted By: RMC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 07:24 AM
Tim, Thanks for generating this topic. What pumpgun do you have in the photo? Fun to see photos. Attached some favorites of dogs,game and gun. Randy

Brother Glen, his German "Reeb" 12b, his goldens, Chitna and Caribou on ND pheasant hunt.

Friend Kevin and his GWP Lizzy, grouse/woodcock hunt northern Michigan, my Parker GH, 12b.

[/IMG][/URL]

Repeat photo of my 9wk old PL, Shooter. Spent quality time in the truck till photo op time. Early Sept. Goose season, northern Michigan. Fox SW, 12b

Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 11:09 AM
Boy, Thats hard! After 60+ years of hunting, there are so many favorites. I guess the one I have access to, thatI still get a kick out of is this one. My dog "Ripper" on his very first real hunt, with a 16 Darne/Charlin whatever. Taken a few years ago at Uncle Clive's ranch near Willows, Calif.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 12:40 PM
1902 W&C Scott boxlock..2&1/2" 12 ga. with 27.5 inch barrels with a tight choked left barrel. I think it killed that gobbler by accident...the next spring I shot a big gobbler in Alabama 3 times with it and he got away. That's when I went to the 10 guage with a 1 & 5/8 oz. payload.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 01:11 PM
This first pic is just to balance out that truly frigid looking pic that Jeff G posted. This is in Blythe this last dove season. So far, I haven't seen any of our collective pics that stirs the feeling of comraderie (sp?) and environment like Jeff's pic in that snow.

This pic was captured by my wife on a phez hunt recently
Posted By: Geno Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 01:26 PM
some of recent hunts...
The friend of mine Vladimir with our two dogs

Just after New Year, whiteshoe hare with Russian hound dog
Posted By: baydog Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 02:19 PM
Here is my Chesapeake Bay Retriever Jack with his first Wood Duck

Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 02:21 PM
Crowded out...

Posted By: reb87 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 03:15 PM
Here are some of mine. God's creation is truly stunning, especially when examined closely.

WM Schaefer 10ga

Its just hard to beat a pheasant in the sunlight, Wow
CE Fox 12ga

Pape 16ga

Posted By: Brentflyfish Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 08:13 PM
Well, they are not all together, but here is a favorite of my RBL with a pheasant from a recent trip in OK. The one of my dog ,Gus, is grouse hunting in Maine.

Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 11:07 PM
Randy,

Your welcome. The pump is a 1931 Remington 17, it had a short stock so when I lengthened it I also made it a semi pistol. I have finished the stock since the picture and it's become my go to gun. It has an older Poly Choke which I have learned to love.

Tim
Posted By: Mark Copeland Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/24/08 11:08 PM
Here's a few of my fav5.

A limit of Huns in MT with a 16ga Harkom

A herd of Elk in MT

A pointed covey of Blues in W.TX

A Bob and Blue with a W&C Scott

A duck hunt with Duchess

Posted By: RMC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 01:14 AM
CJ, Diamond was a beautiful dog, and what type of weak moment did you have to let that DHE go. Did it have anything to do with women or liquor?

Reb, Couple of great Americans, The CE Fox and the Graded(Which) LC.
Posted By: Robt. Harris Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 02:17 AM
Not the best composition, perhaps, but thought you might enjoy the colorful birds. The gun is a straight-grip 1935 'D' grade Parker in 16 ga., 28" bbls choked IC & Mod.

Bob

Posted By: Craig Larter Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 02:37 AM
Fox XE 12ga

LC Smith Pigeon 10ga

LC Smith Ideal 10ga

My favorite three
Posted By: Jason H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 02:48 AM
Craig,

Love that Ideal 10g...I have wanted one of those for a long time. Someday perhaps I will find one! Love the pics guys...
Posted By: Randall Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 03:00 AM
Unfortunately there's no gun in this one.

Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 03:14 AM
A good morning with a Charles Boswell pigeon gun and my young
chocolate Tolley.
[img][/img]
Posted By: CJO Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 05:03 AM
Terry,...I'm counting 7 green heads!!!

28 bore Watson Bros,...the only time we got out to chase Grouse this year!

Posted By: mike campbell Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 05:15 AM
A farmer's gun...

Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 07:53 AM

I think I've posted this here before but it's the best shooting related picture I ever took so you get to see it again. I've had the Jones cap since I was 12 years old (long story), and the jacket since I was 16. Thankfully I've always been fat and it still fits pretty well.

Parker DHE 32 inch #2 frame, canvasbacks and redheads.

Destry

P.S. To Geno - The small birds are snipe I think. What's the bigger waterfowl in the back? I'm thinking it's a mallard but something doesn't look quite right.

Here's a postcard photo I have in my collection that maybe you could help me with. I believe the birds are bustards, and the writing looks like maybe Russian. Can you read what the message or the address says?

Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 08:09 AM
Ok, one more from me. This one didn't come out quite as slick as the other but I still like it.

Outer Hebrides - Scotland
golden plover, Parker BH, wooden decoys, plover call, same old cap and jacket.

Posted By: Dave M. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 01:15 PM
16 gauge Parker Hammer Gun.

16 gauge GH, Damascus Parker
Posted By: Brentflyfish Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 01:51 PM
This is a great thread guys. I am really enjoying each post.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 02:31 PM

Vintage verses Modern.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 02:33 PM
Dave M...I hope the dog is just posing..heh heh
nics pics lads
Franc
Posted By: Geno Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 02:38 PM
MarketHunter, not Snipes, but Double Snipes - bird looks like snipe, but 1 and half times bigger, we call it Duppel in German way. Greatest bird to hunt with pointing dog! And, yes, it's mallard.
Sorry can't help you with postcard. The address is in Russian, sent from Riga, Latvia to Peterhoff near St.Petersburg. Text is in Latvinian I believe.
Best.
Posted By: Dave M. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
Dave M...I hope the dog is just posing..heh heh
nics pics lads
Franc

Franc,
It was pretty warm that day, and his butt was dragging.
Posted By: RMC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 04:47 PM
jOe, Do you use a punt gun when a flock feeds by your hide? We in Michigan hope and pray to get one licence in the spring. What kind of bag limit system do you have in TN? Randy
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 06:34 PM
A wet little doggy from an early season picture a while back. She got too old to hunt last year, so twenty or thirty minutes at a preserve is about all she can handle now, but it makes her very very happy.

Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 09:05 PM
Geno,

Ah Hah!!! I knew something seemed different but I couldn't figure out what. They do look big now that I know that's a mallard. I think that's what I've heard called the Great Snipe (Gallinago Media) am I right?

Dave,

Good one with the four woodcock. I missed one while out squirrel hunting this year, was the first I'd shot at in ages.

Destry
Posted By: Geno Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 10:17 PM
Your right - Gallinago Media.
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 11:19 PM
Here are a couple more favorites. Joes got me thinking turkey!

One of my proudest moments...

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 11:22 PM
This is one mornings hunt. They are all legal...these were flushed and called back for the kill before 10:30 AM.
Posted By: Bill G. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 11:23 PM
Chuck, Here is another in the snow from earlier the same day. That whole trip was the reason was the essence of hunting.

[img][/img]

Me and Zach and a Lefever EE Damascus, Before the snow.

[img][/img]

Me and Maggie with the Lefever. She was 12 in this picture. She is 14 now and retired from hunting but only because the body can't do what the heart still wants to. The best springer I've ever hunted over. She could track a bird from here to hell, flush it and stay steady. And if you did your job she never missed a retrieve. The Very Best!

[img][/img]
Posted By: Snipe Hunter Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/25/08 11:40 PM

This day I shot a sixteen gauge

This day it was a twenty gauge

...and this day I shot a twenty-eight

Posted By: Orry Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 12:41 AM
Thanks for the thread Tim, this group sure has some wonderful firearms and great dogs.

Here's the old man in Canada, at eight years old and in his prime. . .

The young one is 18 months, full of himself and coming up nicely. . .

Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 03:23 AM
Here are a few of mine Chuck, here is a BW version of my fav. For me Hunting is all about the Comraderie, the bond of man dog friends and the call of times gone by but still stiring within, the fine guns are an extra

My Sons 1st Bird this year on his 1st ever game shot along with crew a few were new hunters this year

New York with Will S.

Bill G and I

Hank & Corey after the Hunt

The boys in ME

at G&H
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 03:30 AM
Guys thanks for the photos some really beautiful dog, gun and game pics
Jeff G.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 03:47 AM
Great stuff Jeff and cuzz G. You guys look like you have a great time back there.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 05:40 AM
Your pics bring back so many memories.
Thanks for posting.
I am not unhappy that this is not possible for me any more.
I have had my time and can be well content that stories can be shared if the pics were never taken.
Many years have passed and many hunts have become memories that are too dim to focus on. But, I can still taste the very first quail that I killed. It was with the Fox that I inherited from my great uncle. My mother fried it for me and the taste will never leave my mind.
A picture is in my mind and if you sit back and imagine a kid, skinny and wearing wire rimmed glasses,with a lovely, graceful 16 gauge A H Fox in hand, you can see me in dungarees walking in Green's field. The birds flushed and I mounted, chose my shot and fired.
One bird that day, as it was late, and a butt cutting was in order if I was not home soon. Supper was at six sharp.
It is my sincere hope that one more kid has that wonderful experience.
One more kid's being able to tell such a story will make so much difference.
Take one hunting. Work hard to insure that he will be able to. Be able to have such a memory when the times afield are past.
Best,
John
Posted By: Randall Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 03:31 PM
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 04:45 PM
Love guys, keep them coming.

Particularly like the snipe pictures, and of course the young folks with their game.

Destry
Posted By: steve voss Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 04:56 PM
My favorite doesn't have a dog or even a nice gun in it. What it does have is a fabulous smile on the face of my 82 year old father the day he shot a clean double on turkeys.

Later that day I shot the prairie chicken over a nice point.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 07:03 PM
North of Dalhart - 2006/2007 season.

Right to left - Dubya, Joe Wood, and the late great Miss Brie.

Joe is holding his very nice G Grade Lefever 12.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 07:46 PM
There are lots of favorite pictures, but here's a group of Huns taking off. The photos were taken by the wife of one of my hunting friends as she walked along with us.

Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 09:08 PM
Daryl those are fantastic, I think the best I have ever seen of wild flushing birds in flight - thanks!

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/26/08 11:26 PM
Mr Halquist, what great images and what great memories they stir! I hunted that very same field or a mirror image of it, with a good friend of mine, 3rd generation Montanan, now gone, just a few years ago. Thanks. The picture above it is pretty cool, Joe with that "G". Dunno how he compensates for those bent bbls, but he seems to....
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/27/08 06:25 AM
Acouple from MI this season

a nice old camp on the edge of a swamp, found it on my last walk before heading home

Posted By: RMC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/27/08 07:50 AM
Jeff, Typical Michigan upland hunt, no game, just find an old shack. Pass the word. Randy
Posted By: Will S. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/28/08 01:06 AM
I'm late to the party, and this is my first attempt to post a picture, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This has been a really interesting topic, and I've enjoyed all the contributions. Mine are: Hogan and Emmy; Emmy's first bird (with 1909 grade 40 .16 Sauer); and Woodcock and Flues (I re-stocked the Flues myself with a piece of walnut I dragged around for 35 years).
Will
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/28/08 08:10 PM
Hey Will

Very nice job on the pics and the stock (truly a professional job) Will S. is featured in a couple of my pics in NY with me and in MI with the boys. Will is a fine furniture maker who does exceptional work.

Jeff G.
Posted By: mark Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/28/08 10:57 PM
I hope this works.

Posted By: mark Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/28/08 11:10 PM
Trying another
Posted By: mark Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/28/08 11:15 PM
Hopefully not so big.

Posted By: tunes Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/29/08 05:02 AM
Here's a couple from last fall and one from this summer. Dixie likes to fish also.

Posted By: Chasseur d'ours Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/29/08 08:18 AM
HI guys,

Great pictures!! Some real good ones there.

Here are some:

Not game, but I love this one:

Some Erkle's Francolin from this past season, first day I've ever had two... Unfortunately the car is NOT mine...

My first woodcock, but not a good picture:
Posted By: Mark Copeland Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/29/08 11:00 PM
This Harkom is becoming quite the meat gun.

These blues were taken a few weeks ago.

Posted By: CptCurl Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/30/08 03:49 AM
Ok, I'll play.

The first is my lovely wife with her first two pheasants ever, and sporting a broad grin.

The next is your's truly. Hey, who said the photo had to be birds and shotguns? So long as it's a double gun!

Curl
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/30/08 02:51 PM
A friend in Belgium, Marc Gettemans, sends these for your enjoyment. How many of you hunt with ferrets ?

Posted By: chux Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/30/08 03:39 PM
These are great! I have no idea how to post a pic, would love to show my 15 year old pointers last point.
Chuck
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/30/08 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
A friend in Belgium, Marc Gettemans, sends these for your enjoyment. How many of you hunt with ferrets ?

Rabbits and hares over here don't live in holes...don't know just what you'd use a ferret to hunt; might run a possum out of a hollow log for you...Geo
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/30/08 04:57 PM
15 year old Mack, Chuck's pride.

Posted By: Chasseur d'ours Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/30/08 08:40 PM
Nice to see you here Curly!

But you've still claiming that my rifle is your's in your signature
Posted By: CptCurl Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/30/08 09:27 PM
Chasseur,

I'm simply the current lifetime custodian of that old Purdey double rifle. When I'm gone there will be somebody else.

Curl

P.S. Eightbore and I paid dearly with dreadful hangovers the day after I acquired it.

RBS
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/30/08 11:30 PM
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/31/08 02:58 AM
Mike
That's one horny dog you have there! LOL
Steve
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/31/08 05:03 AM
Mike looks like he might be next...
Posted By: Kurt D Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/31/08 04:05 PM
Late season W/GH Parker 12ga

Whitetail W/DH Parker 10ga 0B

Parker PH 16ga 0 frame

Ithaca flues 20ga & Parker GH 12ga

My son, Chessy and Parker DH10 on a goose hunt
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/03/11 03:31 PM
Pictures from last year's trip to the R&R Pheasant Preserve in SD.

My son and my Britt on a quail hunt in northern Alabama (Dec 2010)

Posted By: RCC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/03/11 04:03 PM
Lindner Diamond grade and my favorite game bird.

Shelby with the birds that pushed her over 700 wild roosters and the Wm. Moore that bagged them.

While there is no gun in this photo it is one of my favorites because it captured putting a braggart in his place. He came as a companion of a guest that was invited and than preceded to tell us that his "professionally trained" GSP would wipe the labs' eyes in the morning.

The GSP, a very nice dog in CRP was worthless in the big cat tail bogs we hunted and never saw a bird hit the water while standing point forty yards from the bank at the outside of the bog.

I liked his dog when hunted on a course that fit him, but........
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/03/11 04:39 PM
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/03/11 06:25 PM
Here are some of my favorites:

A couple very happy hunters and a great day. My britt Cash is gone now, but posts like these help keep my memories alive. Thanks for that:

Winter chukars with my Lefever 16:

Britt in the frosty grass:

The new kid:

Showing promise:
Posted By: ghostdog Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/03/11 07:29 PM
My new dog, Blue, my new/old Adams & Co 16g and 2011's first woodcock:
Posted By: ghostdog Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/03/11 07:31 PM
A hard-won December rooster and my 1920's Westley Richards:

My veteran dog, Whit, proving she'll get the job done, even though she doesn't like water:
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 03:07 PM
Now this is a great thread! Some awesome pictures being put up by you all!
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 04:41 PM
I have a lot of favorite pictures, but this one is unusual. Bell [long gone] is pointing with a bird already in her mouth. We did get the pointed bird, too. This happened twice with another dog, but sadly no photos.

Posted By: mike campbell Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 05:29 PM
Back again....

Posted By: Dennis Wolfe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 05:51 PM
Great pics everyone, and Mike that is one beautiful grouse.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 06:27 PM
Nothing fancy, just an old Trojan 16ga and a wild prairie rooster...

Posted By: mike campbell Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Dennis Wolfe
Great pics everyone, and Mike that is one beautiful grouse.

Dennis,

Isn't he, though? He was huge, too, and worthy of a mount but I have no more room. frown
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 07:18 PM
Son Trent takes one a bit too close after the covey rise. The gun is a Belgian no-name boxlock. The white dog is Willy the Wirehair. I'd have posted a picture of the "game", but there really wasn't any left to photograph...Geo

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 07:49 PM
Double bearded Gobbler last Spring with Greener FP-20 built 1880. Math indicates the gun scored 130 years after it was built...Geo

Posted By: Chasseur d'ours Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/04/11 08:31 PM
European woodcock the first time I brought my drilling out for birds:
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/05/11 04:16 AM

Posted By: Hoof Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/05/11 04:47 AM
I have a lot of favorite pictures, but this one is unusual. Bell [long gone] is pointing with a bird already in her mouth. We did get the pointed bird, too. This happened twice with another dog, but sadly no photos.

Bell looks a lot like my DD in that pic, what breed was she?
CHAZ
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/05/11 01:51 PM
Chaz, Belle was registered as a German Wirehaired Pointer. About 80 pounds before season, and 70 pounds at the end. Sire out of Wisc. and dam out of Briar [something] in S.C. as I remember. All dogs are different. Belle was always a "me first" dog, and would take birds out of other dog's mouths. Oddly enough there was never a fight. Don't know how she did it.
Posted By: Alan Griffith Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/05/11 02:47 PM
Couple of my favorites.

W&S Screw Grip.

Alan
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/05/11 03:15 PM
Alan, I was going to ask if your bird pictures were in Alaska. Tundra in fall looks familiar. Then I saw your moose. What was the horn spread ?
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/05/11 05:01 PM
My favorite picture is often the most recent. This is from Monday of this week. The gun is a pre-war French guild 16 ga, barrelled by Jean Breuil, taken as a trophy from a Normandy farm by a GI in the summer of '44. It's my first bird and first shot at game with this gun. According to the seller, the now-late GI's son, this gun hadn't been fired since 1959 though it did receive both pride of place in the gun cabinet and a lot of loving care.
Posted By: Alan Griffith Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/06/11 03:14 AM
Alan, I was going to ask if your bird pictures were in Alaska. Tundra in fall looks familiar. Then I saw your moose. What was the horn spread ?

Daryl,

That was Sept 2008. I was North of Nome. The bull had a 62" spread. He was 15 yds when I hit him.

Alan
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/06/11 03:23 AM

Posted By: Gartenmeister Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/06/11 01:53 PM
No birds or doubles, but I like this one:

Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/06/11 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
Ok, one more from me. This one didn't come out quite as slick as the other but I still like it.

Outer Hebrides - Scotland
golden plover, Parker BH, wooden decoys, plover call, same old cap and jacket.

Nice decoys. Did you carve them? Gil
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/06/11 07:21 PM
Alan, that's a pretty good moose from anywhere. And with a hand gun , too. Moose seem to vary in body weight . Big ones go from 750-1500 pounds . My biggest was 65", but I did not realize it was a very big moose, until I tried to lay my rifle in the horns for pictures. The rifle just didn't fit. Too short. Then I noticed I could not turn the moose easily for field dressing. Just too big and heavy. Moose body was just too large to judge the horns. One does know how big the moose is when packing out a quarter. Sometimes almost too heavy to stand with a quarter in the backpack. Awfully pretty time of the year with the red on the tundra
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/06/11 10:16 PM
Memorable Terrell Co. TX turkey hunt, April 2008. 9 guns(no guides), three days results minus one bird that was late for photo. 12 Toms in photo. I bagged a 19.5 lb. Rio and called up two more for buddies. Birds were kept in a walk-in cooler.

Not a hunting photo, but memorable to me on several fronts. No finer hunting and fishing buddies and friends a man could have than depicted in this photo. Unfortunately, Allan had to hold the camera. Early September in the early 1980s, Harriman Ranch, Henry's Fork of the Snake River near Last Chance, Idaho. Waiting for the Paraleps to hatch. Left to right, Clint, Chuck, me, and Bill. Both Bill and Chuck are gone, Chuck having passed away a week ago, age 90. What a great guy and fisherman. He guided for Bud Lilly in the late 1950s. He fished every fishable day on the Ranch during its "hey day" since its opening to the public.
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 12:13 AM
I've posted this before, but this is my Son and his first bird. It was taken with a 1909 20 gauge LC Smith 2E.

This is from last Fall. It has my favorite gun, (a 1907 20 gauge LC Smith O grade), and my dog.

Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 02:27 AM
Dustin that is also one of my favorite gun pics.

And then there is this one....
Posted By: ole Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 01:17 PM
no gun but one I like

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 02:47 PM
I think I've seen that old abandoned truck in a picture of some custom engraving someone had done on a gun...Geo
Posted By: RCC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 02:59 PM
Yucca and switch grass and pheasants. I bet that old truck lays in wait somewhere in Eastern Colorado or Western Kansas.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I think I've seen that old abandoned truck in a picture of some custom engraving someone had done on a gun...Geo

Originally Posted By: RCC
Yucca and switch grass and pheasants. I bet that old truck lays in wait somewhere in Eastern Colorado or Western Kansas.

Actually that truck is a car gents....about a 37-39 Dodge or Plymouth 2 dr.........look at the back window and the rear seat windows.....the back seat frame is still in it along with the front seat frame as well..........

BTW, I have some ocean front property.............. grin

Best,
Posted By: 2holer Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 05:16 PM
It was actually abandoned by Bonnie and Clyde.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 05:38 PM
The car was abandoned after a head-on collision with a pheasant, the proof is still impaled on the hood ornament laugh
Steve
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 06:51 PM
Truck car whatever, I KNOW I've seen it engraved on somebody's gun. Come on. Fess up and claim it somebody. I did not dream this!...Geo
Posted By: PA24 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 07:01 PM
Truck car whatever, I KNOW I've seen it engraved on somebody's gun. Come on. Fess up and claim it somebody. I did not dream this!...Geo

A member in Utah had a Parker engraved by Ken Hurst with an old car on the bottom of the receiver..........THIS IS NOT THE SAME CAR GEO......I will find that picture and post it just for you Geo..........!......On the original post the member mentioned that this old car was at their favorite hunting spot here in Utah, that is why he had it etched on the gun.......
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Scroll engraving by Ken Hurst....bulino etched by Lee Griffiths......SKB put it all together....

Here you are Mr. Geo: this car looks like a late 30's Packard Coupe BTW......

SORRY TO HEAR YOU HAD A STROKE GEO......HOPE ALL IS WELL NOW.....GOD BLESS

Best,
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 07:25 PM
You're probably right, Doug. The bad thing about a 'steel-trap' memory is that once the spring starts getting rusty, the details become a little muddled up. A stroke'll do that to you, you know...Geo

To be convinced, I'm still gonna need to see that other picture though.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/07/11 07:45 PM
Looks like Doug was right. At least I ain't old enough to recognize the make of either one of those old cars...Geo
Posted By: LGF Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/08/11 03:42 PM
Some lion darting pix; no guns.

The romance of field work in Africa
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/08/11 04:44 PM
LGF
After looking at the first picture I have to ask are y'all twins?
Steve
PS what are you pushing out of the truck?
Posted By: wburns Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/09/11 04:00 PM
Great photos everyone! Here are a few I have taken excluding the one I am in.

My favorite photo of my wife with game and gun.

One of my favorites of me and my dogs but with no gun.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/09/11 10:36 PM
The dog is not in this one. Taken on a preserve, using a 16 ga. L.C. Smith hammer gun.

12 ga. Regular frame Ideal Grade w/ejectors 30" full/full. Birds were released on private property as there are no more wild pheasants in this area. Back in the early 1970's in this area the phessants were all over.

Same property this time with another FW Ideal Grade with ejectors, this one has nickeled sideplates. That is Max my English Setter, and you can see that it is swampy.

Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/10/11 05:16 AM

Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/10/11 06:47 PM

Another favorite....

DLH

P.S. to GSL: No, they were carved by John Ornberg.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/10/11 06:55 PM

Here's on of my favorites....one days kill. Just me, my dog and my W.C. Scott.
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/10/11 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Whadja use, a wheelbarrow or a lawn and leaf cart to tote those birds out of the woods? wink
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/10/11 09:48 PM
So, are you some kind of market hunter jOe?
Posted By: dal Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/10/11 10:52 PM
Last Saturday. five different species, one day - woodduck, ring bill, blue bill, mallard and green wing teal.

I was told it was a slow day!

1959 Anotnio Zoli 16ga.#5 spreader and #2 custom bismuth loads.

Don.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/10/11 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By: GLS

Whadja use, a wheelbarrow or a lawn and leaf cart to tote those birds out of the woods? wink

Had to make two trips and Doc they were all legal.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/11/11 12:04 AM
jOe, I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were doing anything illegal, just a comment on volume. Obviously, you're one helluva turkey hunter!
Posted By: wburns Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/11/11 01:14 AM

Great shooting Joe!
Posted By: LGF Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/11/11 01:57 AM
Rockdoc -

those are my students with various lions we caught for collaring. The carcass they are pushing out of the truck is a skinned cow for bait. Lion conservation is smelly business.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/11/11 03:38 AM
Here's one of me and Santa a few years back...18 degrees that morning.

Santa had one of them fancy camo automatic type guns...hard to see it in the picture.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/11/11 07:16 PM
Western Native Gambel's quail.....1925 Fox Philadelphia SW 20 b. 2.5" chambers - 28" F/M......one of twelve favorites.......

Cheers,

Posted By: nca225 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/11/11 07:19 PM
Here's a few Grouse that fell last season to my 16 Ga Sterly...

and the first for this season...

Enjoy!
Posted By: jmc Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/11/11 10:49 PM
Not a favorite pic per se, but a recent one of the bounty of one of my favorite covers in the Northeast Kingdom of VT where I spent last weekend in pleasant, but not desired Indian summer like conditions. Parker Repro DHE 12 ga. Sporting the 26" bbls of my 2 bbl set that carries like a dream...

Posted By: jaybird Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/17/11 12:43 AM
Here are a few of mine:
Circa 1900 Holland & Holland Royal Ejector 12 bore

Model 21 20 bore

Parker VHE

16 bore Henry Clarke & Sons Boxlock

Grouse guns on lunch break in the MN woods
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/17/11 02:09 AM
Welcome to the board, Jaybird! Hope you visit often and share all of your experiences and knowledge. That's a mighty fine looking arsenal you have. Tell us more about each one!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/17/11 03:38 AM
Jaybird, I'm almost 'fraid to ask, but what are the heck all those white things on the log below the 21 and the Parker in the third and fourth pictures?...Geo

Looks like turkey poop.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/18/11 04:53 PM
Fresh limit of 6 last week with 1911 Sauer Model 8.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/18/11 04:56 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/Halpics_bucket/11Oct2011016.jpg
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/19/11 05:16 AM
Just last weekend:

Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/19/11 12:48 PM
I'm not much of a photographer but here's my 16 gauge non-rebounding hammer 1866 Joseph Lang, rebarreled in Damascus by James Woodward about 1872. I've shot well over 3,000 cartridges through this gun in in the four years that I've owned it. Thanks to Dig (Small Bore) for bringing it over here.

Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/19/11 09:37 PM
Boy, I really like posting photos. Such fun. Here's one from this morning I rather like:

Posted By: RMC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/20/11 12:28 AM
Geo. Grouse drumming log with sign he's been there last spring. Obvioulsy not going to make it next spring. Randy
Posted By: steve voss Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/20/11 11:20 PM
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/21/11 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark Larson
Boy, I really like posting photos. Such fun. Here's one from this morning I rather like:

Mark, great photo. To my eye,the gun and bird have an abstract resemblance.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/21/11 10:33 AM
From a morning break during yesterday's grouse hunt:
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/21/11 03:40 PM
Little Ben brought this 18 pounder in from 80 yards through dense beds of water milfoil. He grabbed a wing from underneath close to the body and all I could see coming in was the bird! 1 1/12 oz steel 1's from a Western Field 12 ga.

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/21/11 07:44 PM
GLS, I agree. This is a wonderful picture in color, design, and clarity.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/21/11 10:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal
Little Ben brought this 18 pounder in from 80 yards through dense beds of water milfoil. He grabbed a wing from underneath close to the body and all I could see coming in was the bird! 1 1/12 oz steel 1's from a Western Field 12 ga.

You go, Little Ben! Tundra or trumpeter swan? Or are they the same?

Guess you meant 1 1/2 oz.?

SRH
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/22/11 04:05 PM
Tundra (formerly Whistling). Trumpeters are a bit bigger and are more interior in distribution. Pic shows the biggest Tundra I have brought to bag..an even 20 lbs. Most adults are in the 17-18 lb range. For comparison, barrels on that Western Field are 30" long. I'll be out this afternoon to try for my 2011 bird.

No I meant 1 1/12 oz. 24.5 gr 800X in AA hulls with RSI Sam 1 cups. Load No. 12 in their manual.

Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/22/11 04:47 PM
Posted By: nhcrowshooter Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/22/11 09:31 PM
Opening day, NH, 2010

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/23/11 02:26 AM

Here's one I snapped a few days ago.

My 1925 W&C Scott 12ga. my dog Buster and his turkeys. Buster made the flush about 10:30. Conditions that day were a fall turkey hunters nightmare 20 to 30 mph winds with temps in the 70's....Didn't figure on much as I only saw a couple of birds when Buster made the flush....by 3 pm I had called in and killed these four. 3 loud mouthed hens and one young gobbler. ....the last hen I shot about 30 yards she went down hard then jumped up and flew straight at me I swung and dropped her about 5 feet in front of us.

(For anyone concerned they were all legal)

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/23/11 04:49 AM
Good shooting Joe, and beautiful Scott!!!
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/23/11 08:43 PM

Mark, great photo. To my eye,the gun and bird have an abstract resemblance.

Thank you. I agree. I'm so often struck with how nature seems to design itself, e.g., the wet feathers at the top of his head repetitively mimicking the graceful form of the hammer of the gun. I've had a few requests for prints of this should I decide to paint it. I think I'll give it a go.
Posted By: Mike Covington Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/24/11 01:03 AM
Does Buster help you tote all those birds?

Mike
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/24/11 03:53 PM
Stan the weight of steel 1's needed for a good crimp on those AA's (or the STS I currently load) is closer to 1 1/16 oz than 1 1/12 oz as I said earlier. No swan yesterday, but I had a good tme watching my dog and all the various birds.
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/24/11 11:07 PM
Make me wonder, if 130 years ago, the guys filing up the action, carving the stock, or making the damascus barrels on this wonderful little Boss 20 were thinking it'd end up in the USA to kill American Woodcock.......

Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/24/11 11:21 PM
HammerGuy, your Boss 20 looks to be a real beauty, can we see more of it, please?
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/25/11 01:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
HammerGuy, your Boss 20 looks to be a real beauty, can we see more of it, please?

Assuming I get some more birds to lay across it tomorrow. wink
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/25/11 05:34 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going. This was probably one of my last post as I got into Remington 17s and 37s (prohibited stuff you know).

Briar, on the right, passed last December and today was his birthdate 13yrs ago. Wow...

Love you buddy, go easy on those birds up there, your a little closer to them now.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/25/11 08:01 PM
Joe - Do you shoot many turkeys on the wing? I don't think I've ever met a turkey hunter who did. More power to you if you do.

Reminds me of a hunt for smaller birds with my Brit Ricky about 15 years ago. We're deep in the woods, he's out of range, which is a big no-no with all my dogs. Suddenly I hear him and a huge FLUSH. It must have been at least a dozen turkeys flushed and flying towards me. Some at 6 feet up,others in between that and 20. All of 'em BIG and flying at me like something from the stone age! They looked like B-17's!

Wild stuff. I like the looks of your gun and Buster a lot. Do you ever worry about turkey attacking/defending with its talons against your dog? Just that I've heard a story or 2 like that over the years.
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/25/11 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Joe - Do you shoot many turkeys on the wing? I don't think I've ever met a turkey hunter who did. More power to you if you do.

I won't speak for Joe, but I suspect Joe would answer the same way that I do. I try not to shoot at flying birds. The last thing an ethical turkey hunter wants to do is to wound and not recover a turkey especially a 20 lb. spring gobbler. A wounded turkey can out fly a quail and outrun a horse over short distances. Based on my experience and others I know, unrecovered birds (probably hit) are often shot on the flush as they fly away. The south end of a turkey flying north can absorb a lot of shot and still vanish. I'll admit it's hard not to pull the trigger when one flys. I can think of several times I wished I hadn't. It is not unsporting to shoot one which is standing flat-footed and unaware within 35-40 yards or less. How can one ever miss one under those circumstances you might ask? Hunt them religiously for over 30 years and the answer will become apparent. Anyone who claims to have killed and recovered every turkey shot at has not shot at many. I have not hunted fall birds with a dog, but that might be the exception to shooting at birds flushing, especially smaller birds of the year, as the dog can often track the bird.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/25/11 09:28 PM

This is not spring turkey hunting...this is the true sport of turkey hunting.

I've never shot a turkey on the wing that I didn't recover...I usually get a few each fall on the wing and there is nothing grander.
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/25/11 11:22 PM

I've never shot a turkey on the wing that I didn't recover

The "kiss of death". wink
Posted By: Gregoriy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/26/11 04:57 PM
Dear Sirs ,

I tranfer my photos to topic " Member Pics...Who's Who on this Forum..." as more siutable for it . Sorry.

best regards
Gregoriy
Posted By: PA24 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/26/11 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Gregoriy

Thanks to Mr. Weber I could joint to your forum .

Some photos of my drahthaar and ss-IZ26 and o/u Merkel 201
Just I worry will not overload you of my pictures .Place of photos is Russia St. Petersburg
As I assume it is my first experience here with participation.
Just a problem with pictures .I add it as links .I will try to edit it .

Best regards
Gregoriy

drat-Urs 1 2 3 4

Great Pictures Gregoriy....WELCOME.....!.....

I like your pictures...please post more, thank you........

Posted By: canvasback Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/26/11 06:08 PM

I won't speak for Joe, but I suspect Joe would answer the same way that I do. I try not to shoot at flying birds. The last thing an ethical turkey hunter wants to do is to wound and not recover a turkey especially a 20 lb. spring gobbler. A wounded turkey can out fly a quail and outrun a horse over short distances. Based on my experience and others I know, unrecovered birds (probably hit) are often shot on the flush as they fly away. The south end of a turkey flying north can absorb a lot of shot and still vanish. I'll admit it's hard not to pull the trigger when one flys. I can think of several times I wished I hadn't. It is not unsporting to shoot one which is standing flat-footed and unaware within 35-40 yards or less. How can one ever miss one under those circumstances you might ask? Hunt them religiously for over 30 years and the answer will become apparent. Anyone who claims to have killed and recovered every turkey shot at has not shot at many. I have not hunted fall birds with a dog, but that might be the exception to shooting at birds flushing, especially smaller birds of the year, as the dog can often track the bird.

Been hunting turkey for about 15 years now. Shot at one in the air. Flying at me, rising and passed directly overhead quite low still (10 yards?), going to some woods from a field. Got it. If you don't have a clear shot at the head no matter if they are on the ground or in the air, don't waste your time, shot, energy.
Posted By: Gregoriy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/26/11 06:35 PM
Posted By: PA24 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/26/11 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Gregoriy

Sorry I do not know how to add photo as it will be showen directy at my post .

1 4 5 6 7

PM sent Gregoriy....
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/26/11 08:04 PM
Canvasback, my sentiments exactly.

Head/neck shots are always the most desirable. Not only are they the most lethal, but the chance of shot in the body is reduced considerably. Without regard to gut shot contaminents, the flesh of body shot turkeys is hardly what I consider table grade with bloodlines and feather pulls throughout the breast. One of my old turkey buddies thought it was an easy game shooting spring gobblers having had a run of easy birds. He called one up, had the bird lined-up with his barrel and got cocky before he pulled the trigger. "You're dead" he said to the turkey. The turkey didn't think so and left full strut to full vertical climbing airborne in an eyeblink. Burk folded the bird on the third shot with his Ithaca Mag 10 as the tom topped a longleaf pine. He vowed never to act that dumb again (on purpose) with a bird out front in range.
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/27/11 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Wild Skies

She is absolutely deadly when on the woodcock. Between the Boss and the Brittany, I'm not even sure I was needed in the field today. ;-)

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/28/11 04:10 PM

The kiss of death happened again a couple of days ago...I'd show you a picture but I had my SBE with me. wink
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/28/11 06:44 PM

The kiss of death happened again a couple of days ago...I'd show you a picture but I had my SBE with me. wink

Tick-tock, it's coming soon to a woods near you. You are overdue. wink
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/29/11 04:09 PM

best regards,
JBP
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/31/11 02:44 PM
Ben with latest prize. Nitro Special. I don't use forearm wood...just catches cattails and water when in place.

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/Halpics_bucket/?action=view&current=26Oct2011011.jpg
Posted By: shinbone Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 10/31/11 07:55 PM
My 18 month old shorthair, a pair of prairie chickens, and a 16ga Fox Sterlingworth in the Ft. Pierre National Grasslands.

--shinbone
Posted By: dollysods Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/01/11 09:55 AM
Some nice hammerguns pics in this thread. Here's my 16 ga.Liege guild gun.
Posted By: GaryW Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/02/11 02:49 AM
Too many to say one is the all time favorite, but this pic is a definite favorite. A.W. Gamage 12 bore hammer gun with 30" cyl & cyl steel barrels and a few of the doves it accounted for on a September afternoon.
Posted By: mike campbell Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/03/11 03:59 AM
Not necessarily a favorite pic, but I just shot this interesting woodcock today.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/04/11 01:09 PM

Here ya go GLS...just for you. cool

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=250510#Post250510
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/04/11 01:12 PM
Interesting, indeed.

What's the recipe for a "thicket" load? Sounds like one I might be interested in copying down for future use.
Posted By: mike campbell Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/04/11 05:17 PM
The recipe for "Thicket, Brush and Scatter" loads is about 100 yrs old; the shot is divided into 3 layers with cards. The technology has improved somewhat in that time.

One of the better discussions of spreader loads occurred here:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5701&highlight=spreaders

As always, it's up to you to filter what you read.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/18/11 10:54 PM
Favorite one this week from Downs, Kansas.

Whale of a water retrieve by my assistant.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ed good Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 12:03 AM
wonderful posts. wonderful guns. wonderful doggies...however, it troubles me to see all of the beautiful, but very dead game birds...cannot seem to come with to terms with that, except to say that killing is a young man's sport... anybody able to offer any wisdom here...ed, a retired grouse hunter
Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 12:08 AM
edD:
Gooses taste like liver. I hate liver. I quit killin' goose. Open water ducks taste like fish. I don't like birds that taste like fish. I quit killin' ducks.

In fact, I quit killin stuff I don't like to eat. Figger the critter ought to live iffin I don't need to eat it. Still like dogs though. They are the only critters who know what this life's about. And I won't eat 'em.
Posted By: dal Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 12:16 AM
Ok, have to add these!
16ga. M12

Don.
Posted By: dollysods Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 02:06 AM

Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 02:30 AM
Late season wooden duck.
Scored this pair with my favorite Crossman double and my soulmate GPS.

Posted By: skeettx Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 04:16 AM
Do I detect that you have them BLUE taped together so you can
have a side by side pellet gun?
Great picture
Mike
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 05:17 AM
yep, this is a double gun site!
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 12:38 PM
Please don't say that is your "to go gun" Walter. Those white line grip caps are deluxe. That pic made my day.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 08:17 PM
These are really, really good to eat...........NO marination required, just add your favorite spices....pan fry 'em in butter works for me........

Cheers,
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/19/11 11:16 PM
And those blue dun neck feathers make wicked good soft hackles, especially in the smaller sizes.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: PA24
These are really, really good to eat...........NO marination required, just add your favorite spices....pan fry 'em in butter works for me........

Cheers,

Doug,
I knew you were a gamblin man. wink

Not game nor gun, but somewhat related...'sides I like these.

I was cleanin out the dog's personal transportation vehicle today and snapped a few and these were my favorites.

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 12:25 PM
What might you be feeding those fellas, raw lamb? Sure are some slick coats.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 03:32 PM
That last picture is a classic, Chuck!
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: dollysods

Wow. Fantastic pics!
Posted By: dollysods Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 08:11 PM

Wow. Fantastic pics!

You made it all possible Mark by putting the little Liege gun in my hands. Thanks.

Rick
Posted By: Birdawg Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 08:59 PM
Here is a slideshow from a South Dakota hunt that has some photos I like.
Doubles, dogs,birds and kids put to music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXc4EbiPeo
Posted By: suddenthunder Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 09:35 PM
What a wonderful video! Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
What might you be feeding those fellas, raw lamb? Sure are some slick coats.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Raimey,
The brown one gets Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice. She hadn't had a bath in a few weeks when that was taken. Never brush her either. Just a hose and some shampoo, towel off. The other one only has about 3/8" coat and she gets Purina Pro Plan Performance Blend. Shampoo and towel off, no brushing.

Oh, and the brown one gets a glucosamine tab and a fish oil tab all her life. I think the fish oil gives her that coat.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 09:48 PM
Amarillo Mike with his turd hounds flushing a covey of bobs in the Texas Panhandle. Few events in life give a higher thrill than when a covey bursts into the air from your feet! I've never been able to calmly handle it. The current drought has pretty well eliminated the birds for the next few years.....

It's fun to set these photo shots up. Dogs go on point (wild birds), you run around to the best available spot for the picture, quickly set it up in the viewfinder and then snap the shot the instant you hear the birds flush. No way to see it in the viewfinder beforehand. This was a good one--certainly not more than 1/4 to 1/2 second after the flush began. Mike is lightening fast with his gun but hasn't even begun mounting it. Heh, heh....but he did drop one. It's incredible how fast these birds can attain warp speed. And their ability to hide and conceal themselves is a mystery. This covey was cornered in an open area, no brush. At one time I couldn't have been more than 10' from them and staring exactly where the dogs were looking and never could see them. Happens time and time again. Guess that's one of the reasons they're survivors.

Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 09:56 PM
Joe,
those birds and dogs are a pretty sight. Looks like Mike needed a change of chonies though.
Posted By: Birdawg Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/24/11 10:33 PM
Originally Posted By: suddenthunder
What a wonderful video! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks. It was fun to put together but not as much fun as being there smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/25/11 04:58 PM
A couple more from before freezeup. The end of boat hunting, but huge numbers of waterfowl still here as there is no snow. Too bad they don't fly during shooting hours.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/Halpics_bucket/12Nov2011.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/Halpics_bucket/5Nov2011006.jpg
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/25/11 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Looks like Mike needed a change of chonies though.

Whenever the blurr of the rise fails to quicken the pulse it will be time to quit.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/25/11 11:11 PM
Dog eat the forend wood on that old Ithaca, Hal? Great photos you deserve to be proud of!
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/26/11 12:30 AM
All the essentials; Bird dog, Bobwhite, 16 gauge SxS, and water.

Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/26/11 12:37 AM
My shooting student Joe Wood and Red:

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/26/11 12:56 AM
No Joe he takes it off before hunting with it. Its a Nitro Special and he uses Kent Matrix in it I beleive. I used it in my 16 gauge Nitro and that ammo kicks the living heck out of me and the gun.

What's your secret Hal?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/26/11 05:24 PM
Nope I seldom use factory loads. Just mild 1-1/16 oz reloads. Yes I just don't like cattail leaves and water under the forearm when boat hunting.
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/27/11 06:25 PM
Hi all, went out today for some pheasants and my son and I both limited out in about a half hour. We were blessed. Here's some pics:

All the best!

Greg

My 12ga Buhag Hubertius SLE:

Me:

My Son Will (he was using my 16b Charles Boswell):

My Son and I:

Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/28/11 01:54 AM
Lucky kid - a dad to take him hunting and let him use a fine sxs.
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/28/11 02:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Lucky kid - a dad to take him hunting and let him use a fine sxs.

Thanks Dave!! I am lucky, very lucky and blessed!

Thanks again!

Greg
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/28/11 02:44 AM
Let's keep this thread going. I'm not much of a photographer nor much a a picture subject, but I certainly am enjoying the great pix you guys are posting. Greg, let me second Dave's post; both you and you son are very lucky indeed!...Geo
Posted By: Buzz Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/28/11 03:33 AM
Greg: Looks like you are enjoying some fair weather in North Dakota and what a fun time with your son. Pretty Roosters too. Buzz
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/28/11 09:56 AM
Originally Posted By: buzz
Greg: Looks like you are enjoying some fair weather in North Dakota and what a fun time with your son. Pretty Roosters too. Buzz

This year November has been pretty good to us up here. Last November we were digging out snow banks. mad Greg is blessed with some fine hunting partners but he's also blessed with a nose that can sniff out some nice shotguns. grin
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 11/28/11 11:45 AM
Thank you all for such kind words!! They are very much appreciated. As I said, I'm very, very lucky and the good Lord has blessed me more than I can ever say!

Like Joel said, the weather has been great so far this year, hope it continues.

See you someday at Ohms!

Thanks again all!!!

Greg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/01/11 04:17 PM
Still not a speck of snow here and now the pheasant hunting is great, even though populations are down, as we can walk on the ice inside the cattails and the dogs have a much easier time holding the birds. Not much left for snow geese and ducks now, but still fair numbers of Canada geese.
Posted By: suddenthunder Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/01/11 11:11 PM
Lots of great pictures being posted on this tread! The ducks must have jumped right over us here in South Dakota ,We didnt see many on the west side of the state.
The canada's are starting to show up fairly well now but we got about 3" of the white stuff last night and in to this morning so they will more than likly make for the south and not let me chase them much.
Posted By: 2holer Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/01/11 11:15 PM
As usual, the family got together for Thanksgiving and the traditional TG morning hunt. Myself, one son, SIL and five of my grandsons. Some with little experience as we only got nine birds.

Waiting for the hunt...........

My SIL's pointer and my gsp locked on a rooster.

The rooster flew low as he flushed then elevated quickly into the wind, made a big left u-turn with the wind picking up speed quickly. My son, just visible on the edge of the pic shot the bird. It came down about 30 yards from where he was shot dead in the air because of the speed and elevation he had picked up.

....and the happy hunter

Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/01/11 11:46 PM
Here is my new best picture. Taken this Wednesday when my son came to his first shoot, aged 10, he was polite and talked to the guns and beaters and really enjoyed the day. Meant an awful lot to me.

Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/01/11 11:51 PM
Very good picture and very handsome boy. Does he have to beat the girls off with a stick? What a great way to spend a day!

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/02/11 12:13 AM
Hi Mike, he needs a haircut, but he won't... smile

Yeah, he has a bit of a girl tribe.

T
Posted By: 2holer Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/02/11 12:23 AM
....and of course, I see he is in the proper attire. wink
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/02/11 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
Hi Mike, he needs a haircut, but he won't... smile

Yeah, he has a bit of a girl tribe.

T

Let him have his hair and enjoy it while he can Tony. When he gets older and the wind starts blowing it out he can look back with fond memories.
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/02/11 12:38 AM
Yes, we kitted him out. JRB of course you are right...we wouldn't make him do it...

T
Posted By: wburns Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/02/11 01:43 AM
Very nice Tony! Congrats on a fine day out with your son.
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/03/11 10:18 PM
Nice pics Tony!! Here's a couple from today, a limit of roosters taken with my Parker Repro, 16ga bbls.

All the best!

Greg

Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/04/11 01:35 AM
You're out hunting me Greg. Between being swamped in my machine shop and trying to paint my house I haven't had time to hunt. We'll discuss this sometime at Ohm's over pie and coffee. smile
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/04/11 10:49 PM
Let's keep this thread going. I'm not much of a photographer nor much a a picture subject, but I certainly am enjoying the great pix you guys are posting.

When you can hunt Wisconsin grouse in December in just shirtsleeves, it seems a moral imperative to do so......

Posted By: 2holer Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/05/11 03:01 AM
Now hunting grouse with a hammer must take a lot of practice. I know some have the hammers cocked and gun broke open, but that seems like a lot of crud would get in the action preventing closing.

I have hunted phez with a hammer that was easy to cock both with one thumb. What's your way?
Posted By: dollysods Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/05/11 09:56 AM

Does anybody else think Greg and his dog look alike with that serious pose. Good looking dog by the way.

Rick
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/05/11 02:32 PM

Does anybody else think Greg and his dog look alike with that serious pose. Good looking dog by the way.

Rick

Thanks Rick!! Good one!!! Yep, both grey around the muzzle, that's for sure!!! Thanks for the kind words about my Duchess, would not have scored without her.

Thanks again and all the best!

Greg
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/06/11 03:48 AM
Originally Posted By: 2holer
Now hunting grouse with a hammer must take a lot of practice. I know some have the hammers cocked and gun broke open, but that seems like a lot of crud would get in the action preventing closing.

I have hunted phez with a hammer that was easy to cock both with one thumb. What's your way?

You are absolutely right - it takes some practice, but after a while, I don't think pulling the hammers takes any longer than releasing the safe on my internal-hammer guns.

I keep my thumb on the right hammer and when the bird flushes it's pulling the hammer back as the gun comes to my cheek. Left hammer is going back a millisecond after the right drops, if I need it ;-)

I shoot this way in thick cover. If I'm shooting phesy or desert quail or something else where I'm walking along and not fighting for every move, I don't mind walking with the gun broke and hammers cocked - that allows for a quick shot too.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/06/11 04:48 AM
One hammer at a time. If its a dove shoot you have time to cock'em both before the bird arrives. For quail, I cock both hammers at the point and point the gun up in the air.

I cannot even imagine breaking the gun open and trying not to drop the shells out while walking in on a point and trying to keep the muzzles in a safe direction. If a wild bird gets up I cock one hammer and shoot; if the other barrel is required, I try to cock it and get off a second shot.

I dislike having to thumb the hammer and lower it if I don't get off the shot. Its ok while on a dove stand or in a duck blind, but it seems risky to me while walking around in thick cover. A hammergun is just an affectation for me...Geo
Posted By: 2holer Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/06/11 03:11 PM
The foremost point is, whether cocking both at the same time or one at at time or letting a hammer down,.....muzzles in a safe direction.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/06/11 08:10 PM
One hammer at a time. If its a dove shoot you have time to cock'em both before the bird arrives. For quail, I cock both hammers at the point and point the gun up in the air.

I cannot even imagine breaking the gun open and trying not to drop the shells out while walking in on a point and trying to keep the muzzles in a safe direction. If a wild bird gets up I cock one hammer and shoot; if the other barrel is required, I try to cock it and get off a second shot.

I dislike having to thumb the hammer and lower it if I don't get off the shot. Its ok while on a dove stand or in a duck blind, but it seems risky to me while walking around in thick cover. A hammergun is just an affectation for me...Geo

All of which serves to explain why I avoid hammerguns.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 02:27 PM
Ah, hammerless sporting arms are just a passing fad. They seem to be making a slow assent from their low. I wouldn't doubt that most of the purported game tally records were achieved via a hammergun.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 02:54 PM
Here's the main point: ALL guns are incredibly dangerous and safety must be given top priority. "Out of sight, out of mind" seems to be fairly common with hunters. All guns have hammers--exposed or hidden--that need little urging to do their job. With an exposed hammer gun the risk of a misadventure is constantly being impressed on the shooter. I mean, those huge hammers stretching over the firing pins is a constant reminder that the utmost attention need be given. With a "hammerless" gun that threat is concealed and easily ignored or delayed. I think if really reviewed honestly most of us shooting hammerless guns have at one time or another forgotten that we had slid the safety off and forgotten it for a time. Nothing could be more dangerous. Hammer guns do not allow this slip to pass without notice.
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 03:05 PM

Very well said!

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Here's the main point: ALL guns are incredibly dangerous and safety must be given top priority. "Out of sight, out of mind" seems to be fairly common with hunters. All guns have hammers--exposed or hidden--that need little urging to do their job. With an exposed hammer gun the risk of a misadventure is constantly being impressed on the shooter. I mean, those huge hammers stretching over the firing pins is a constant reminder that the utmost attention need be given. With a "hammerless" gun that threat is concealed and easily ignored or delayed. I think if really reviewed most of us shooting hammerless guns have at one time or another forgotten that we had slid the safety off and forgotten it for a time. Nothing could be more dangerous. Hammer guns do not allow this slip to pass without notice.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 03:16 PM
Joe, for inspiration did you have a stout cup of coffee this a.m. with a double dollop of Kickapoo Joy Juice, adult version, to wake to the flavour??? Again, well stated.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 03:18 PM
A hammergun is just an affectation for me.

For me, the hammergun is more of an affection.

I love all they represent - from the golden age of England to the craftsmanship to a time that was slower and more genteel.

I don't hunt to put food on my table, but to commune with nature and test my skills when that dog points and the bird flushes.

One day last week, we flushed three bird the whole day and not one went down. The next day, we flushed over a dozen, and there's meat in the freezer because of it. Both were great days in my opinion.

I maintain they are as safe, if not moreso, than guns with internal hammers. I also maintain they're as fast "on the draw" as a single-trigger internal hammered gun with some practice.

Having said all that, my guns are not investments, but cherished momentos of a bygone era and I love 'em just as I would an ugly dog - maybe even more. :-)
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 04:38 PM
Hammergun, I agree with everything you just said. I have 3 sxs hammerguns and use them. However when I do use them I always end up wishing I had one of the hammerless models when the action on a dove shoot warms up...Geo

P.S.: lets get back to pictures, we all have our prefenences and prejudices on gun style...Geo
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 04:53 PM
I'm sorta partial to this one. My little 16 gauge Lindner Daly two years ago. (The feather in the trigger guard was not intended.)

Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 05:05 PM
The Daly is beautimous!! Whenever I find one similar to it for sale, it's priced like a new automobile. I'm still looking.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 05:32 PM
Chief, you're right. I just sorta fell into this one. It had a few problems that knocked the price down enough. And the talents of Mike Orlen and David Yale put her right without breaking the bank. She's a good'un. Not many 16's show up.
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 05:50 PM
Joe, Beautiful gun. What did you have done to the gun? (How's your foot? Sorry to hear of your injury.)
Gil
Posted By: skeettx Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 07:06 PM
Mr. Dillon, Mr. Dillon = Gunsmoke smile

Beautiful gun, you always have winners

Mike
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/08/11 11:06 PM
Gil, the little Lindner Daly lacked a buttplate, just raw wood but fortunately it hadn't been cut and the edges were still sharp. Kathy Yale made a beautiful leather pad for it. Then, the horn tip on the grip cap had come loose sometime in the past and had been crudely glued back on backwards. And there was small wood chips around it. David Yale was able to remove the horn cap, repair the chipped wood and replace the cap. It takes a magnifying glass to detect the repairs now. Worst of all were the bores. Some idiot had "honed" them to remove evidence of dents. Main problem was they had stopped the hone about 5" short of the muzzle and I had questions if the barrels could be restored. But Mike Orlen worked his magic and they are now perfect with properly shaped chokes. Wall thickness remains very good. I have no idea how he was able to do it but my hat is off to him. The only remaining repair is it's slightly off face but I have a shim in the hook that has made it a perfect fit. When the shim eventually pops loosed I think I'll have Ken Eversol make the permanent repair. Seems I always put more money into a gun than it'd bring but I just write that off to my fun account. To heck with it--I want it right. Overall, the gun is in incredibly high condition so I'm very pleased with it.

My foot? Well, I made it 70 years without breaking anything but did a number this time. Yesterday, x-rays showed a lateral break of the fibia in the ankle so I'm pretty well stove up for the winter. Foot is swollen like a rattlesnake bite and black 'n blue end to end. Got one of those boots on rather than a cast. Oh well, could'a been a lot worse. Doctor wasn't happy with me that I drove seven hours home with a broken foot (as though I had a choice).
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/09/11 12:02 AM
I think a lot of the process depends on what kind of hammer gun you are using. My favorite is an LC Smith, choked full and rifle. On pheasants, lots of time between point and flush. Same on waterfowl FYI: I saw Joe go down in that CRP, but thought he was picking up a bird..The old geezer can shoot..
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/09/11 12:18 AM
Sometimes we hunt with plain SxS shotguns. This one is a "standard field grade" 12 gauge Remington 1900 with 30" steel barrels. Bagged one rooster this morning near Carlyle, IL using a handload with #5 NICE shot.

JERRY

Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/10/11 11:40 PM
Hi all, here's a couple from today. My son Will and I went out and managed to get our limits. Weather was great and the dog worked hard...would not have gotten the birds without her.

All the best!

Greg

Myself and my Charles Hellis 16b

The Charles Hellis

Will using his Fabarm 12ga

And Duchess with the days bag

Posted By: 1cdog Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/10/11 11:45 PM
Greg, you lead the life! Great pictures - thanks for sharing.

Is that private land you are hunting or public land?
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/10/11 11:59 PM
Thanks so much for the very words!! I sure do appreciate them. I'm blessed for sure! We were hunting private land...good area.

Thanks again!

Greg
Posted By: wburns Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:16 AM
Looking good Greg! You guys will be getting your own show before too long. We did well today to. Put on a few miles to do it. Best part of the day was when we got right in the middle of about 40 sharptails.
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: wburns
Looking good Greg! You guys will be getting your own show before too long. We did well today to. Put on a few miles to do it. Best part of the day was when we got right in the middle of about 40 sharptails.

My own show!!! You mean I could be in the same leauge as "Jimmy Big Time" be still my heart!!!

Good going yourself, we saw a bunch of sharpies, but wild as all get out. Ready to shoot that Churchill next weekend?

Be good and thanks!

Greg
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:33 AM
Greg you must have so many guns between you and your boys that you need a bank vault to hold them. cry You must have so many pheasants in your freezer that tail feathers are sticking out the lid. grin Keep showing your pics. Next time take a video camera.
Posted By: wburns Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:36 AM
Damn right I am. Plus I think I better check out the stock on that Blanch.
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:40 AM
Hi Joel, but I do have bank safe. Our house is the old Rectory and the house has a walk in two door, totally fireproof bank safe. It was used to house the parish records. When we bought the house, they said we could convert it into a bathroom!!!

Thanks again, we do eat a lot of game.

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: RCC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:41 AM
Here is one from today. The 11 year old grandson of a farmer who has extended access to his farms to me for a decade or so.

His first pheasant ever, taken with his first shot at a pheasant ever. He used my Lindner FW.

It was a great day as we now have a newly minted pheasant hunter.

Posted By: postoak Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:44 AM
Originally Posted By: jerry66stl
Sometimes we hunt with plain SxS shotguns. This one is a "standard field grade" 12 gauge Remington 1900 with 30" steel barrels. Bagged one rooster this morning near Carlyle, IL using a handload with #5 NICE shot.

JERRY

Jerry all you need is a Turtle Necked Sweater and you would be a dead ringer for Hemingway ! smile
Posted By: King Brown Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:52 AM
Almost, Jerry! I own Karsh's No. 2 print of that famous photo. The guy is staring down on me from the wall!
Posted By: postoak Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:54 AM
And Mr. Jerry is a much finer man, than Poppa smile
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/11/11 12:57 AM
Originally Posted By: RCC
Here is one from today. The 11 year old grandson of a farmer who has extended access to his farms to me for a decade or so.

His first pheasant ever, taken with his first shot at a pheasant ever. He used my Lindner FW.

It was a great day as we now have a newly minted pheasant hunter.

Good going Bob!! What a great day for both you and your grandson!! Outstanding!

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/18/11 10:45 PM
Hi all, here's a couple from today. I was shooting a John Blanch 12b, SLE. Got 3 roosters and a sharpie. My son Will was using my Boswell 16b, BLE. He got 2 roosters. A good day. Can't believe the weather today, almost hot!! It's in the low 50's and here it is close to Christmas!! This don't bother me at all!!

All the best!

Greg

Posted By: Buzz Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/19/11 12:45 AM
Greg: Your John Blanch is a very nice looking gun. What shells are you shooting in her to harvest those pheasants?
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/19/11 01:19 AM
Hi Buzz, I was using New Era's. 2 1/2", 1 1/8oz #5 low pressure loads. The Blanch is Nitro Proofed for 1 1/8oz BTW.

Take care!

Greg
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/19/11 03:22 AM
I like all of Greg's doubles but there is something about that Boswell that stands out above the rest. smile
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/19/11 03:49 AM
My new favorite picture.

Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/19/11 08:17 PM
Chuck it is so nice of Kyle to let you and your turd hounds pose with him and his birds!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/19/11 09:00 PM
You know me, Mike, just glad to be there too. grin

...'sides, those birds were just hangin around doin nothin.

Oh, and only one of my dogs is a turd hound, and I'm breakin her of it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/20/11 02:55 PM
Greg the weather was unbelievably warm here also on Sunday. But our pheasants have almost disappeared after three brutal winters and cold wet springs. Same with whitetails. I hunted the whole regular and muzzleloader seasons without seeing a deer in my unit! My friend hunts on a ranch north of McClusky and the party saw 26 does opening weekend and not a fawn with any of them and the three does they shot were dry.
Still a few sharptails hanging on though.
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/21/11 12:04 AM
Greg the weather was unbelievably warm here also on Sunday. But our pheasants have almost disappeared after three brutal winters and cold wet springs. Same with whitetails. I hunted the whole regular and muzzleloader seasons without seeing a deer in my unit! My friend hunts on a ranch north of McClusky and the party saw 26 does opening weekend and not a fawn with any of them and the three does they shot were dry.
Still a few sharptails hanging on though.

Hi Hal, sorry to hear about your season. This one has been very good for me and my boys. I can count on one hand the times we got skunked. Most of the time we either filled out or close. Even the deer season has been good. Filled all but one tag (my wifes). Just lucky I guess.

Take care and better luck to you!!!

Greg
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/21/11 08:13 PM
Let's keep this thread going....Geo

70 degrees in South Louisiana means the ducks aren't moving too much, but the snipe are on fire. There's no concept of a predictable trajectory, each one that launches has a completely unique flight pattern - and man are they fun (and tasty).

Shown here, William Ford does a great job on this morning's walk......

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/21/11 09:58 PM
HammerGuy, it's always nice to see an old gun in such nice condition with just some careful honest wear to highlight the story of it's use. Don't tell me if the gun has been redone, as I'd rather think of it like I said. Nice gun.
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/22/11 12:07 AM
Originally Posted By: HammerGuy
[, each one that launches has a completely unique flight pattern - and man are they fun (and tasty).

Shown here, William Ford does a great job on this morning's walk......

Nice looking gun and snipe. Snipe are a worthy quarry and you are right about being tasty. I did a snipe/quail/dove post-Thanksgiving meal and all agreed the snipe were the tastiest of the three.
Cook'em rare to medium rare...
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/22/11 03:03 AM
Daryl,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy to tell ya, she's 99.7% original - a good ol' boy in Houston fixed a tiny splinter off the forearm during one of my darker days - and shoots like a dream. I've really been slow in researching 'er more, but the top rib is engraved "Spedial Pigeon Gun" and I'd really like to know what Ford meant by that.

HammerGuy, it's always nice to see an old gun in such nice condition with just some careful honest wear to highlight the story of it's use. Don't tell me if the gun has been redone, as I'd rather think of it like I said. Nice gun.
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/22/11 03:08 AM
Snipe are a worthy quarry and you are right about being tasty. I did a snipe/quail/dove post-Thanksgiving meal and all agreed the snipe were the tastiest of the three. Cook'em rare to medium rare...

Soaked in some milk then seasoned with a cajun blend, dredged in brown mustard and flour - then deep-fat fried.

MMMMMMM - we sure need some more tomorrow....
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/22/11 10:41 PM
Hi all, great post, and a nice bragging board to boot. Lots of great pics of classic guns, dogs and game. Here's my latest.

Was out for 2 hours today and managed a double on grouse and 2 roosters. I was using my 12ga Victor Sarasqueta 12E. Weather was great! What a wonderful day to be alive.

All the best!

Greg

Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/22/11 11:59 PM
The Red Gods smiled on me today and gave me a grouse, for which I am quite grateful. The gun is my prewar French guild 16 ga.
Posted By: suddenthunder Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/23/11 12:17 AM
Very nice Dave , Bird and gun !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/23/11 12:27 AM
Nice. Anyone who can get close enough to kill sharptails this late in the season has my respect as a hunter! Dog?
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/23/11 01:52 AM
It's a hen ruffed. Walked her up in a patch of chest-high white pines. The dog was home - she's gotten averse enough to gunfire that she'll refuse to leave the car if I have a gun.
Posted By: dollysods Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/23/11 10:03 AM
Nice bird Dave. No snow yet ???

Rick
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/23/11 02:06 PM
It's snowing now. Finally.
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/23/11 02:49 PM
Nice. Anyone who can get close enough to kill sharptails this late in the season has my respect as a hunter! Dog?

Hi Hal, if you were refering to me, thanks for the kind words! I did of course have my GSP with me (always do). She's a good dog and does well. She was working them when they decided to flush.

The 2 sharpies I got was a double, so I'm happy with that, both were fairly long shots (my son was with...so I have a witness....this time!). They both got up at the same time, but not in a big group, just those two (lucky is all I can say!). We did see one big group (at least 40 birds), but they got up about 100 yds out...you know that one!

Thanks again!!!

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: Dwight Beske Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/25/11 09:57 PM

Couple of quail before the snowstorm in Kansas. My small munsterlander Dnepr and my straight gripped 28 Army Navy CSL hammergun sold in 1887. Black powder proof gun with cyl bores.
Posted By: Dwight Beske Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/25/11 11:22 PM

Minnesota rooster with my small munsterlander Merry. Belgium Neumann Bros black powder proofed 20 ga hammergun. Fun gun with black powder loads.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/25/11 11:57 PM
Beautiful--dogs, guns, and birds--Dwight! Excellent pix, too.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone!

Mike Armstrong
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/26/11 01:00 AM
Dwight your Munsterlanders look like my liver colored French Brittanys. How much do they weigh typically?

Great pictures of great looking dogs, guns, and game.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Dwight Beske Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/26/11 01:12 AM
Mike,
The females go from about 38 to 45 lbs and the males 45 to 60 lbs. The dogs are tending to be a little taller here in the states and perhaps a little larger than the German dogs. If you look on the North American Munsterlander site there is a lot of info about the dogs. I have had them for about 13 years. They do not get enough credit for their water work. The large munsterlanders are not genetically related to the smalls.
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/26/11 01:34 AM
Dwight, wonderful pics!!! Love that hammergun!!!!

Merry Christmas!

Greg
Posted By: Dwight Beske Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/26/11 01:48 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments. Will be going to the Las Vegas show if anyone wants to meet up.
Posted By: dollysods Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/26/11 10:44 PM
Here's a grouse I shot today with my 16 ga. Husqvarna Model 51 that Mark Larson modified into a straight griped gun. Took it over a nice point by Copper my Ryman-type English Setter.

Rick

Allegheny Mountain Wanderings
Posted By: Nigel Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/26/11 11:00 PM
Great photos. Great dogs. Great guns.

What single fact sticks out? There's a LOT of 16-bores in these photos.

16s are very popular in Europe, but I had no ideas 16s were so popular your side of the pond.

Nigel.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/27/11 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Nigel
Great photos. Great dogs. Great guns.

What single fact sticks out? There's a LOT of 16-bores in these photos.

16s are very popular in Europe, but I had no ideas 16s were so popular your side of the pond.

Nigel.

The 16 arguably is the ideal gun for our upland shooting, what you Brits would call "rough shooting", particularly in the Northeast where wading through thickets after grouse and woodcock is the order of the day. A lot of hunters here will go "yeaaaah", recognizing the 16 as an ideal upland gun even though they never had one. They're really not too common in use here. Go figure.

I went out for a couple hours this afternoon to get in a little more hunting before our grouse season closes Saturday. We had an inch or two of light snow last night and it remained cold, making for ideal tracking conditions. So I was my own dog, walking down the trails looking for bird tracks, then going in after them. I put up two birds but had no shots at either - too thick, too far and/or too fast. But I'm confident my 16 would have done the job, had I been a little less obstructed, closer and/or quicker.

If you want to really get in among a bunch of 16 aficionados, there's 16ga.com.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/27/11 12:26 AM
Nice bird, happy dog, pretty gun, good day.
Posted By: Chris Schotz Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/27/11 09:53 PM
Dwight,
Nice looking dogs, glad you had a great hunt. Wild quail, just wonderful birds to hunt.
Chris
Posted By: Hoof Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/29/11 01:52 AM
Elsie almost to my shoulder, quail on the wing, and if you look close you can see my DD Kaiser in the weeds between us.
CHAZ
Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/31/11 05:33 PM
Hi all, here's one from today. Went out early while it was still calm (we are supposed to get 40mph winds this afternoon), was able to get a limit in a couple hours. I was using my 12b Henry Atkin SLE. It was a good day!

All the best!

Greg

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/31/11 07:59 PM
Alright Greg! Finally someone has posted a picture of birds that look like the ones I bring home, sort of shot down and ruffled up so to speak.

Everyone posts photos of beautifully posed game without a feather out of place; makes you wonder if they just found some birds that died peacefully of natural causes. After I shoot'em and Willy picks'em up and throws them back up in the air for a while before relenquishing custody to me so I can cram them in my game bag, they're never really up to portrait quality...Geo
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/31/11 08:45 PM
Now that was funny, George smile
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/31/11 09:31 PM
yeah, some of them I've pulled out of my game bag looked like something ran over on the highway a week ago.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/31/11 10:36 PM
Chuck's dogs work on the halves. That is they charge him half the bird for doing the retrieve.

If you hang them by their feet they look more elegant and appear to be in better shape.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 12/31/11 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
yeah, some of them I've pulled out of my game bag looked like something ran over on the highway a week ago.

You say that in jest but more than once I've seen stuff come out of Amarillo Mike's vest that looked more like a mummy than a bird. "Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to clean it out last year....."
Posted By: mark Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/01/12 12:12 AM

Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/01/12 12:19 AM
Great Pics Mark!!! Where did you get the huns?
Posted By: mark Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/01/12 12:53 AM
Greg, thanks.

Huns were a few years ago in SK, a little tougher lately
Posted By: RCC Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/02/12 07:51 PM
Here some photos from yesterday's hunt.

Shelby, my number one dog in a string of seven and me before we ventured forth,

to hunt the grunch.

This stuff is so thick that the only way birds will be had is if the dog understands to work it in 360 degree casts around you, while you advance ten or twelve yards after each cast.

Now you see her,

now you don't.

Trust in the dog knowing and doing her job and an old hammer gun, puts the last birds of my 54th season behind us.

Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/02/12 09:17 PM
Hi all, here's one from todays hunt. Hunting today was tough, just couldn't find the amount of birds we've seen in the last couple weeks....oh well, that's why they call it hunting! I was using my 16ga Garbi Model 100

All the best!

Greg

Posted By: Mike A. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/03/12 01:03 AM
Two phez in a day beats the crap out of many days I've had in the past. On the other hand listening to my hunting buddies whine kinda made up for the slim pickins....we at least had a limit of "grouse"!

Beautiful birds and 16, and nice pic composition to make the best of 'em.
Posted By: trw999 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/06/12 10:03 AM
Had a marvellous day's shooting on Wednesday. Eight guns at Catton Hall in Derbyshire for a mixed day at partridge and pheasant. The wind has been pretty good this week in the UK and on this day the birds were getting up and blasting away on it, which of course made for some exciting and very tricky shooting.

We were very well looked after by our hosts, whose family have owned Catton since 1405 (see http://www.catton-hall.com/index.php?page=alias). Mick Walton is the head keeper and he is the fourth generation of his family on the estate.

I was fortunate to have the most wonderful third stand, the birds belting out of a strip wood above me, some very high, all very fast! It was one of those memorable times when you can replay almost the entire drive in your head and continue to derive much pleasure from it.

We finished the day with a good bag of 133 pheasant and 59 partridge. But more than that, we had been very well looked after, enjoyed excellent company in beautiful surroundings and had great fun. In short, it was a capital day.

Tim

Couple of pictures here: My Photobucket Album
Posted By: King Brown Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/06/12 04:00 PM
Thanks for the report. What drink is most prevalent while you're re-living it together at the end of the shoot?

I think I'd be thirsty for a long bitter.
Posted By: trw999 Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/06/12 05:14 PM
Cup of tea!

We kick off the day with coffee on arrival. A tot of sloe gin with our peg number at the bottom of the 'stirrup cup'. A warm consomme soup and another tot of sloe gin at elevenses. A glass or two of wine with lunch. Come in for a cup of tea before driving off back home at the end of the day.

On the back of the game card there are notes for the safety of guns. The last point says "Remember - guns and alcohol do not mix, guns are made to kill and usually do!". Ironically, the game cards are handed out at the end of the day. However, we are all experienced guns and have shot together as a roving syndicate since 1989.

Tim
Posted By: wjkins Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/06/12 07:24 PM
A buddy of mine has a gun that I was hoping someone could help me with. When I finish stripping wallpaper, later this afternoon, I will post some pictures. Here are a few pics of myself and dogs in the meantime so you could put a name to the face.

Posted By: gjw Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/09/12 11:47 AM
Hello all, just love seeing all the great pics on this thread! Some really nice guns and wonderful photo skills.

Yesterday was our last day of the bird season here in NoDak, so one last time out and one last limit. I took the birds with my 12b Samuel B. Allport, I really enjoy hunting with a hammergun, what a kick! Anyway as you can see there is no snow and in Jan. yet.

It's been a good season for me and my sons. Not great, but we always got birds. I've been lucky and the good Lord had smiled on me this season!! Anyway, here's a couple of pics.

All the best!

Greg

Posted By: dollysods Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/09/12 12:19 PM
There's just something about a hammergun that makes the whole bird hunting experience a little more special. Great pic Greg.

Rick
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/09/12 01:23 PM

My early "A grade" A. H. Fox with a few birdies this weekend. Restocked and restored by Buck Hamlin.

Jerry Godstein
St. Louis, MO

Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 01/09/12 02:19 PM

+1

There's just something about a hammergun that makes the whole bird hunting experience a little more special.
Posted By: GaryW Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 02/20/12 07:00 AM
Last day of duck season.....just a few taken jump shooting off the pond with my A grade Fox.
Posted By: GaryW Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 02/20/12 07:32 AM
Had to add this one........Son Jared's birthday present to me - a quail hunt.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 02/20/12 04:17 PM
Taken December 2010 in western Minnesota.

Jay

Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 02/21/12 04:33 AM
Mike Bonner and I on a morning duck hunt when he visited the
Wet Coast at Xmas 2011. A mixed bag of mallards and widgeon.
Using an SKB 100 12 gauge.

Posted By: Skeeterbd Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/09/12 07:46 PM
GLS suggested that I post a picture here and so here I am. I have no photographs to compare with the beautiful ones already posted and which I have just spent hours poring over but the ones below are of my favourite gamebird and my most used gun.

The gun is a hammer (as is obvious) Manton & Co. 20 gauge with 28 inch barrels and 2 1/2 inch chambers nitro proofed for 7/8th ounce of shot and weighs 5 pounds 12 ounces.

The bird is a red junglefowl (Gallus gallus murghi) and is the wild ancestor of all domestic chickens. Yup, he is the king of all chickens!

All the best

Skeeterbd
Posted By: topgun Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/09/12 09:00 PM
That is a beautiful "chicken" indeed; but he sure looks a lot like the "Banny" roosters everyone had in their yards when I was growing up in rural Georgia. The one thing I remember that all those little rooster birds seemed to have in common was a bad disposition!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/09/12 11:07 PM
Sometime back in the 1950's the State of Georgia was getting a lot of pressure from outdoorsmen to experiment with stocking pheasants. What the natural resources biologists discovered was that pheasants won't survive or breed in the South. Someone got the bright idea of stocking red jungle fowl like the one pictured above by skeeterbd.

A big bunch of them were planted near the town of Fitzgerald at the state fish hatchery at Bowen's Mill. I think the State of Georgia got snookered into buying tame birds rather than wild stock. They look just like the picture above and unlike tame bantams they all look just about alike.

The birds all seem to have migrated into the town to find someone to feed them. People began feeding them and they're still there. The city of Fitzgerald, GA has a "wild chicken festival" every year to celebrate the colony. The residential streets have chicken nests built on poles to provide the hens with protected places to set their eggs.

The nicer parts of town are full of the birds which wander freely around the homes. There are fewer in the less affluent parts of town near the public housing projects, so I presume they must be pretty good to eat. Probably taste "just like chicken"...Geo
Posted By: guns Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/09/12 11:18 PM
Hatch,lemon hackle?
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/10/12 12:26 AM
Skeeterbd, nice looking gun! Where do you hunt these chickens?
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/10/12 05:54 AM
Key West Florida had these same birds (along with all the other wild foul it has). Natives hated them; I knew people who had super-power Germanic air rifles just to thin down the birds that lived in their gardens.

I like "chicken music". But I guess Conchs aren't "morning people." Jose Cuervo apparently is no friend of theirs, either.

Red Jungle Fowl are called "Arkansas Travelers" when they are domesticated, I think (any banty experts here?). I've seen the "banty chicken" form back down an 1800# range bull. We had them on our ranch and had to have a rooster rodeo every spring to cut their spurs and keep them from killing each other. Great fun--they can run like a roadrunner and fly like a pheasant. Simpler times.
Posted By: Skeeterbd Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/10/12 06:38 AM
"Them chickens" certainly have an attitude. A raucously cackling cock junglefowl erupting out of the undergrowth, charging you on the full is the most fearsome thing in the jungle. Men staunch to tiger have required a change of trousers after being charged by "them chickens".

Geo, Mike A

These things are extremely wary wherever hunted and even where they aren't with an uncanny ability to disappear even when being so gaudily clad. It would be interesting to know how they behave in the less affluent parts of Fitzgerald,GA. and Key West. Incidentally they are a lot better than "chicken" on the table, being a very white meat. They compare very favourably with a partridge (as in hun) which is easily my favourite bird meat closely rivalled by snipe.

Guns

They certainly are a flying flytier's dream.

Dave Katt

I shoot them in the jungles and tea estates north-east of the Bay of Bengal. my apologies for not being more specific.

All the best

Skeeterbd.
Posted By: dollysods Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/10/12 09:21 AM
Nice little hammergun and a beautiful cockbird. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/10/12 01:23 PM
That is a beautiful bird and gun. And I have to add your usage, about "men staunch to tiger", to my notebook of excellent turns of phrase. Thanks for joining the site and please share more of your Indian experiences - always nice to hear and learn.

On to roosters - a friend of mine had a flock of hens with a bantam to keep them in line. One snowy winter night, a fisher broke into the henhouse. The rooster went out, but he went out a hero and that fisher paid very dearly for his meal. Left a blood trail and never came back.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/11/12 04:10 AM
Fishers are very tough customers; I've seen one back a couple of coyotes off a deer carcase it was excavating. Apparently in February in upstate NYS they become very "open minded" about what they're willing to eat!
Posted By: Shane T Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/12/12 08:19 PM
On this morning I had a chance to get out for a bit to check out a WMA close by the office that looked good but I've never been out there before.

About an hour out Jaeger (my GSP)slid to a stop from a full run and slammed a gorgeous point at some brush. I went over and kicked around for a bit but nothing flushed. Miraculously, against all odds Jaeger held steady for me to do this. Since nothing was flushing for me, and it was kind of thick I sent in the wunderhund to flush it out. He dives in, knub wagging, frantically rooting around for about 10 seconds then jumps back, trots over to me and drops this at my feet.

On one hand, he did have a good enough nose to smell a mouse at a nearly full run. On the other hand....it's a mouse!

I know it's not a snazzy pic with grouse or woodcock piled up but it's a reminder that you don't have to be over serious to have fun in the woods with your best buddy and it always makes me smile.

He was sooo proud of himself. That's my little prodigy! lol
Posted By: Researcher Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/12/12 09:06 PM
Guess it is time for me to post a couple here. Here is some evidence of where I got this double gun disease --

My Father and Curley with Grandpa's 1890-vintage Parker Bros. PH-Grade the fall of 1932 at King Lake, Minnesota --

My Father with his 1896-vintage Remington AE-Grade and Rusty in Columbia County, Washington, in 1972 --

There were a lot of birds then. Rusty wasn't that much of a dog. A lady friend of ours found him half starved and near froze to death in Grant County, Washington, spent a bundle on nursing him back to health and he spent most of his time sleeping on a white brocade sofa in her livingroom.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/12/12 09:57 PM
Thanks for5 sharing
Are the live mallards, calling ducks (live decoys)?

http://edecoy.org/livedecoy.html

Mike
Posted By: wburns Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/12/12 10:55 PM
I think that is a Roan duck (domestic). They look similar to a malard but are much larger and the white ring on the neck is thinner.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/13/12 02:35 AM
Yes. From the family stories I've heard that was the last year live decoys were legal. My Father and Uncles always referred to them as Dad's English call ducks.
Posted By: GLS Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/13/12 02:53 PM
Skeeterbd,

Great looking bird and Manton. A Manton was Patrick O'Brian's character Lucky Jack Aubrey's shotgun of choice.

Researcher, that's a wonderful family photo and a pile o'ducks. What's the Roan's name--Benedict Arnold?? wink
Gil
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Your favorite gun/game picture - 05/13/12 05:17 PM
Skeeterbd,
What's the Roan's name--Benedict Arnold?? wink
Gil

Judas.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com