doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: chux Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 01:48 AM
Was wondering what everyone drove on their hunting excursions, I may be in the market soon. I use a 2001 Land Rover Discovery, has been wonderful in mud and such, does smell like a dog now and its getting a little long in the tooth.
Posted By: gordon g Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 02:06 AM
1968 4 Door Dodge Power Wagon. We don't discuss mileage.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 02:07 AM
Chux, I'm still driving my 1999 Dodge Durango, so I don't have any recomendations for new hunting vehicles. I've liked utilities since I bought my first International Scout in 1972. I worked my way through 2 Izuzu Troopers and a Ford Explorer before I bought the Durango. Never have wanted a pick'em-up truck...Geo
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 02:31 AM
Current war wagon is a 1997 Toyota 4Runner. Not great on mileage (16-17mpg) but tough as nails and goes anywhere. I have front & rear Class III 2" receiver hitches and an aluminum tray that will hold 500#'s so the occasional whitetail carcass is no problem. In summer the tray goes on the front for surfcasting.

I had a 1991 Explorer before that, used it for 14 years before I sold it when I picked up the Toyota.

I find that my hunting truck is doing more highway driving than off roading. With regular gas over $3/gal. my next vehicle may be a lot smaller. Do they make 4WD Mini Coopers?
Posted By: BigSkyTaku Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 03:04 AM
Ah, hunting rigs. On my second Toyota PU (05 Access cab) which is really nice for the room and power compared to my old 90 deluxe. Since I use these for river trips, fishing and firewood hauling, it does many duties. For comfort though, we use a friends F350 six pack with dog trailer. Fit in three people and the diesel price is fine. As for smaller rigs, I use my wife's Subaru Forester occasionally and used a Subaru Loyale wagon (all 4WD) for years both bird and elk hunting. Had all the clearance and power I needed. Good luck.
Posted By: Bouvier Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 03:19 AM
1996 Explorer V8 AWD ....... It will hit anything you point it at!

AL
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 03:31 AM
1999 V6 Exploder 4wd! 130k and still going strong. I really like the smell of wet dog, hoppes, hunting clothes and the errant bird that fell out of my game bag. My wife, on the other hand, waits until season is over to ride with me much.

I believe we could bottle the above as a cologne for "true" outdoorsmen!

Jim
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 03:41 AM
I'm still the only one with a 1993 Buick Roadmaster wagon, I guess. Over 400,000 on the clock, second transmission (700R4 by me) second motor, 406 cubic inch throttle body injected Chevy by me (hey, the only small block chevy in the motor pile here was an old 400, so, thats what I used) 3:23 positraction which has never stranded me at a boat launch, room for dogs, friends, coolers, and whatever else we bring. Usually, someone else brings an all wheel drive something or other, and we use this as a motorized barge, but, one that gets 20-22 mpg on the road. It usually gets 17mpg pulling my 3000 lb Larson 190 around in the summer with the R12 equiped air conditioning on (I used the smallest Crane computer cam they make, and figure the compression is about 9.5-1). When I'm alone, I walk in, no sense getting the porker stuck in the mud. Gives the dog time to calm down, as well.
I wish they still made these. Mine is getting real tacky now that the tin worms have her in their grasp.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 04:29 AM
'99 GMC 2500 4x4 extended cab, shortbed w/SnugTop shell. 190k on the odometer when it finally left me stranded for the first time on the fwy in Palm Springs a week before Thanksgiving. Fuelpump died. My fault. Shoulda changed the filter more often. It was plugged solid. Expensive lesson. New truck is in my near future. Will keep the old one until it becomes a real problem then likely give it to a friend.
Posted By: R.Overberg Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 04:44 AM
The hunting close, within 100 miles, gets a 1998 Toyota Tacoma. The dog really likes the front seat. On the way back I'm happy to have her in the back under cover. The longer trips get the use of a 1998 extended cab 2500 Ram Diesel. The wife gets the front seat the dog gets the covered back. They both are happy that way. Altho, I have noticed the dog eye balling the front seat when the door opens. I just have to remember blond in the front brunette in the back or the bald one is in trouble. Good luck on your next truck/rig.
Ron
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 05:13 AM
Chux,
If you were happy with the last LR, why change now? I've been happy with the rig I had and will get another like it.
Posted By: Larry S Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 05:19 AM
I have always been of the opinion that if you have a good dog, you don't need a good truck. For the last few years, i've had good trucks.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 05:29 AM
The two are mutually elusive. LOL
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 05:49 AM
'97 Toyota 4Runner gets me around the rocks in Arizona. It has been a very reliable vehicle. Has hauled out a few elk and gone into the rocks pretty deep on the White Mountain and San Carlos reservations. (The Apaches put highway route markers on things which can't even be called a two track. Only thing I wish is there was space to mount a couple more spares as the rocks are really tough on tires. Last time in White Mountain Rez I had two flats, one spare, 60 miles from nearest habitation and we hadn't seen another vehicle in two days. Could use a little more power when hauling my 20ft boat up the mountain.
Posted By: RMC Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 06:14 AM
Since the 70's, its been Chevy or GMC Blazers and Suburbans. About 5 years ago, a woman pulled out in front of me and head on'd my 4door Blazer. Totalled. Looking for a replacement, I stumbled on to an Olds Bravada 4door SUV. Leather, air, the works, cheaper than the Chevy and GMC models on the used market, and miles ahead in fit, finish and quality. Since that first wreck, I've had two more totals of the same MO and each time replaced with a Bravada, each being a step up in quality from the wrecked one. Not many nice trucks in the north. I would go on autotrader.com. and find one from a rust free area and bingo, there is the Bravada, never been off the road, and sleeps every night in a garage. My last two came from Chicago. They are nice rigs, and you can find a good price on a 90's Bravada. Ted, I too love the GM/Buick and Olds wagons, big mothers with power to burn and room for lots of junk. A few years ago, an interesting article in Accurate Rifle, was about a Chevy Caprice Wagon and was touted as a great hunting rig, just like you mentioned. Randy
Posted By: jmc Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 11:48 AM
My hunting rig is the 1985 Ford Ranger we keep on the farm. Paint is oxidized to a nice, no-shine finish which keeps glare down. Inside smells of a sweet blend of hay, greese, and deteriorating vinyl under dusty seat covers - you know, the itchy kind from the auto parts store. It's a deluxe model with an extended cab which makes a great place for my 85 lb. yellow lab and a scattergun or two (no gunrack in rear window). Radio dial is stuck on country station and dash clock broken. 4 speed transmission is like butter and the exhaust has just the right amount of rust to let you know she's still running. I love this old Ford and readily park my SUV for the weekend when I'm out running the back roads of beautiful rural northern Virginia.

-jmc
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 12:09 PM
Carolla, or Town&Country van - depending on how many dogs make the trip with me.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 12:26 PM
Have driven Explorers since they came out (Disclaimer - I worked for Ford before retiring) Now driving an Expedition, which is really big, but sure is comfortable on a long trip. If anyone is interested in buying a new Ford product, let me know - I can arrange for the family price.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 12:42 PM
I am waiting for delivery of one of these.

JC
Posted By: PeteM Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 01:16 PM
It really depends on terrain. A little run about for when some friends stop over:

For those days when the you are simply not sure.

And of course, for some more urban locales.

Pete
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 01:48 PM
I bought a 2000 Chevrolet "Tracker" with the 2liter , 4 cylinder engine, new. Original purpose was to tow behind PU camper. It did very little of that tho. It now has 186,000 miles, replaced transmission and clutch, still going strong. On the hiway at around 60mph, pushes 30mpg.
Posted By: CASEY C._dup1 Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 01:54 PM
Pete

I like You'r style
My hunting truck was 1993 and 1999 Ford F-250 4x4 with 4 set of chains.7.3 turbo Diesel
In Colorado hunting Elk you needed full size truck to fit the
snow ruts, any thing smaller will get stuck, and you do not want to do that at 11000 ft of elevation and 3 or4 ft of snow.
Casey
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 02:16 PM
Oh look, it has the optional duck and goose roof!
Posted By: improved modified Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 02:23 PM
I accidentally ran over a phez in my 1/2 ton chevy truck. Great killing machine. The bed also makes a easy place to load up and haul deer, elk bodies. Easy to wash out the blood out of the bed too. My S-10 Blazer was good too, but hard to load up deer and elk. Couldn't quite get them buckled in. Good thing I never got a ticket for an unbuckled passenger.
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 02:34 PM
How about a 1984 Volvo 240 wagon!
Craig
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 03:02 PM
I use a 1997 Dodge Caravan, with front wheel drive it's great in the snow (except for ground clearance) I can take out one or both rear seats and have room for my dog and whatever else I want to carry. My Caravan just turned 283,000 miles on the original engine, still doesn't use oil, and still gives me 25 mpg highway and 20 around town.
Steve
Posted By: chux Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 05:26 PM
You guys are hilarious!
Chuck H, I love the land rover, but it is major crap on gas mileage, and since I either hunt or fish almost every weekend, that adds up.. (I have a very understanding girlfriend!) and as much as i love a dog smell, some days after rolling in a few dead animals, I really dont want my pointer within nose shot.
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 06:30 PM
No one has mentioned my vehicle type. My shooting break is a 1985 VW Transporter
which has been completely rebuilt with better gearing and more powerful engine. It has great road clearance and the independent suspension is great in rough terrain.
It will haul 2000 lbs with ease and is useful as a truck or 7 passenger transport. Mine is not four wheel drive but it is available as such. In Africa it is the vehicle of choice. David
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 08:17 PM
I had an old Caravan front WD, you're right, went through snow better than my Explorer. Wish they still made those.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 08:51 PM
Chux,
That leaves a pickup. Do your dog a favor and put a cab high shell on it to get it out of the weather, toss a $25 dog bedpad in there and you're done. The new GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup gets 19 mpg.
Posted By: Fred Lowe Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 09:05 PM
Currently 2007 Dodge 2500 diesel 6'box 4 door 18.0 mpg highway, truckvault in bed with a fiberglass cap allows for 6 dog boxes, windoors on both sides allow for easy access to bed interior.
I just sold my 1998 same truck with 248,000 miles.
This one should last longer as it is used only for hunting.
Posted By: Keadog Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/13/07 11:06 PM
I have been driving pickups since 1994. Had a series of Fords until my F250 diesel went crazy and stuck in full throttle in May '06 (not pretty). Driving an '06 Silverado 1500 extended cab long bed and not thrilled with it, although I like the OnStar phone when I'm in rural Nebraska every October. Mileage not so good. My accountant says I can get a new vehicle this year (2008) and I'm looking hard at the Titan crew cab LWB. 4 doors and a 7 foot bed, which will allow me to put my ATV in and close the tailgate. I think that's the "perfect" configuration and only Nissan offers it. I grew to hate short beds because I couldn't close the tailgate with my ATV loaded. My opinion might not count for much, because I'm primarily a bowhunter for deer, but I have always liked SXS shotguns and do shoot firearms from time to time.
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/14/07 02:37 AM
Volvo XC AWD wagons. 8" of ground clearance with Volvo skid plate under the entire front end, goes about 90% of where I used to take my Jeep Cherokee but much safer off and on road and so much more comfortable and reliable. We have his and hers.
Here's mine in a corn field with last years doe.-Dick

This summer after heavy rains and run off, went over a farm path culvert over a drainage ditch. The water flow had completely washed out the earth around the 6' culvert with only about 2-3" of top soil left. Went completely through so the vehicle was suspended by the front skid plate and the wheels were hanging in 4' of space. Hitched up tractor to the rear hitch and popped the Volvo out. Only damage was one broken off mud flap! These are tough vehicles!
Posted By: Replacement Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/14/07 05:12 AM
Quote:

2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Power Wagon Hemi. Marvelous truck. Came with everything except its own gas station.
Posted By: gordon g Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/14/07 06:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:

2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Power Wagon Hemi. Marvelous truck. Came with everything except its own gas station.

We had to take the old Power Wagon down to LA one summer to do some much needed maintanance. We let a couple of the kids drive it down 395 from Tulelake (700 miles) at top speed of 45 MPH and one of the guys was going to tow it back in the fall with his Bronco. The Bronco was working so hard going over the Grapevine towards Gorman that he thought it was going to blow up, so he stopped and towed the Bronco over the hill with the Power Wagon. It has 19" wheels and will go anywhere,except float.
Posted By: uplander Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 01:00 AM
These are all nice rigs but where do you cook your breakfast. This is from a grouse trip to the U.P. with Jeff G. Bill G. and Will P. 2400 miles round trip
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 01:40 AM
1999 Ford Expedition - Four wheel drive. Can comfortably haul 3 dogs and 4 old fat guys and their gear for a day's bird hunt or it can comfortably haul 4 dogs and two old fat guys and their gear for a three or four day trip. And while hauling that load it cruises at 75 MPH while still attaining an astounding 15mpg. Very able on the ranch roads and dirt roads. The short wheel base (compared to a Excursion or full size Suburban) makes it very easy to turn around on narrow roads and much less likely to high center. The overhang behind the rear wheels is short and doesn't drag as much as the mentioned models either.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: chux Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 03:10 AM
Amirillo Mike,
I like that drawer below your dog box, Did you build that, or is it aftermarket?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 03:18 AM
Mike,
It wasn't me that said you were old and fat.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 03:33 AM
1983 Ford Bronco and my old trusty 1977 Ford F150 4x4! Bobby
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 03:34 AM
chux I bought that and it has really been useful. It holds a ton of stuff and the stuff is all very accessible. You can also put your guns in it and lock them up. A major improvement over leaving them laying in the back of the Expedition. It is a "TruckVault" product:

http://www.truckvault.com/products/sports/ptype_suv.asp

http://www.truckvault.com/products/sports/basicvault.asp?p=t&v=s&h=s&d=1

ChuckH I know you didn't. You were the one that proved I could pass for Brad Pitt!

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 04:09 AM

My hunting car.....just depends what your hunting!
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 04:19 AM
Ken are you hunting chicks or mustangs?
Posted By: Replacement Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:

We had to take the old Power Wagon down to LA one summer to do some much needed maintanance. We let a couple of the kids drive it down 395 from Tulelake (700 miles) at top speed of 45 MPH and one of the guys was going to tow it back in the fall with his Bronco. The Bronco was working so hard going over the Grapevine towards Gorman that he thought it was going to blow up, so he stopped and towed the Bronco over the hill with the Power Wagon. It has 19" wheels and will go anywhere,except float.

I've had some committed Land Rover and Ford guys look at and drive the Power Wagon, and they admit it's a better heavy duty hunting rig than most of their stuff. Even the guys with tweaked LR2's agree that the PW will go anywhere the LR2 will go, as long as the PW will physically fit the trail. The best part is using it to pull Fords out of the ditches. Mine doesn't float, either.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/15/07 04:30 AM
Mike,

Only four wheel prey!
Posted By: snowleopard Re: Hunting vehicle? - 12/18/07 07:53 PM
One of my vehicles is a 2003 Acura NSX. I parked it at the base of the dirt road that my girlfriend shares with a neighbor. It was opening day of fall turkey season.

When I returned to the car from seeing my friend, there was a business card under the wiper that said "No Hunting, Please!" Like I'd really go turkey hunting in that car!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com