doublegunshop.com - home
I remember a bunch of you were showing them off a while back, but can't seem to find the thread. One for sale by me that may need some barrel work and reproof, wondering if I'd be in over my head.

Thanks, Rob
Not even an Imperial.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82942629

We had a pretty long thread about this gun while the auction was active.

Honestly, I still don't think this gun is worth the selling price due to the work needed but I am glad to see the value of my Scotts increasing. My kids will appreciate it when I'm dead.

Imperials are FEW and FAR between. If the asking price is reasonable I would jump on it. You can always do the work later.

Email me at Marksman60@hotmail.com if you have some questions about pricing etc. that you don't want to put up here. PM function doesn't seem to work for me.
From the 1928 A.F. Stoeger catalog . . .

Parker A-1 special = $721 (with single trigger)

Woodwared best SxS = $945.

Boss best O/U = $1180.

Scott Imperial = $1200.

Food for thought.

Ken
In today's world, there are guns with a glass ceiling - no matter how high the condition.
...and then there's the sky is the limit guns.
Here is the post where I debuted my "new" Imperial Premier:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post38590

Abby Books has some Scott catalog reprints with a little information on the Premier Imperial.

Best,

Mike
Thanks Mike, the one I'm looking at has steel barrels and dates to 1891. It, too, is marked "The Premier Imperial".

Utah, sent an email.

Thanks, Rob
This guy has one:

http://www.daverifflegunsales.com/images/guns/pig.html

It looks later than the one you're talking about, though.

Please tell me more about the one you saw.

If you don't want it, I may be interested in it.

Thanks

OWD
hfn_03570@yahoo.com
The "Rest of the Story"

A local auction had a WC Scott shotgun listed in their catalogue with one mediocre picture.

I went by to take a look and it was a "Premier Imperial", I knew it was special gun but had no idea how special, thanks for the education.

The gun's serial number, 48788, says it was made in 1891, it' a 12ga with 32-3/16" bbls. I was suspicious of the 3" chambers but in my inquiries a board member told me that he feels they are original, more wadding was used used back then with the long barrels. They are Sir Joseph Whitworth Barrels, address "WC Scott & Sons Patent Triplex Lever Grip, Gt. Castle Street, Regent, London, England".

The only proof marks on the gun on 12 over C in diamond (which doesn't preclude 3" chambers) crown over CP, Crown over V, and the provisional proof mark .

The gun has 100% Rose & Scroll, sculpted fences and a bar across the top of each fence, they look as though to rest the gun upside down on a flat surface.

Gas checks run horizontally out each side of the breech face and there's a US patent date of Sep. 19.82., perhaps they were added later or the serial number chart is wrong.

It is not without problems, the right barrel would not cock and the bores are .745 &.740, out of proof. There is slight pitting in each bore but in my thread about wall thickness I deem that there seems to be plenty of steel left to hone and reproof.

With the honed out bores the chokes (4" cones) are between .045 &.050, hard to tell there's some rust inside and outside the muzzle.

The stock is a wonderful piece of marble cake with a light colored but well done extension of about 1/2", fully engraved heel & toe plates. There is a repair on one of the lock plate borders and the checkering is rather simple compared to the fleur de lis of most pictures I've seen of Premiers. The dimensions are very shootable, 14-5/8, 1-3/4, 2-1/2.

So at the very least, a hone, reproof and reblue, repair to cocking mechanism, probably about $2K.

I was hoping to steal this one, which is not an impossibility at a general auction. They told me the lot would not go off until after 5pm today, I got there at 4:30 and had just missed it. I was cursing myself if it went for under my budget but not to worry, the hammer went down at $10K, add another 25% with commission and tax, $12,500.

Someone else now owns it.... back to scrounging up Nitro Specials
Wow - that's a very odd Imperial. I've never seen one with such simple checkering. Usually it's real fancy. And the engraving is odd.

Maybe it's because it's such an early one.

Do you have any more pics of it?

Did you write to Gallyon for info? I wonder what the records say about it.

OWD
No other pics, sorry. I thought the stock might be a replacement, but it would have to be an old replacement. Maybe it is because it's so early..
Gallyon was kind enough to tell me he did not have early records for Scott.
Actually there are more pictures that were on the internet of this gun, the Remington on another thread and a Parker. They were on Ebay in Live Auctions for a while until the ebay police found them. I watched on live auctions, when they got to the their lot # they they took a break while they auctioned them.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4495812/

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4495813/

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4495814/

Jim
How about that, more pictures!

Here are the bars over the fences, any other idea's or are they to rest the gun upside down?

More pics.

Neat gun. I wish I had known about it.

That stock looks original. It looks like it has a Holland-style hand.

How were the bbls walls? Thick? What was it proofed at?

I really wonder if the 3" chambers were original - but you never know. Was it a real heavy gun?

Weren't long chambered guns marked 12 over an LC?

I'm not sure - I would have to look it up.

Do you know why it wouldn't cock? Did you have the locks off of it?

OWD
Looks like I was wrong about the chamber.

Prior to 1925, the 12/c mark meant 12g with 3" chambers (or up to, I'm not sure).

So perhaps they were original. What size load was the gun proofed for? And was it nitroed? It is pre nitro, but it may have been done.

OWD
No other marks than what I said, didn't get to weigh it.

I mentioned the wall thickness in my other thread about wall thickness, it's about this gun.

I have to say I was only able to estimate wall thickness by measuring the barrel's OD and subrtracting the ID, then x.5.

The breech walls were very thick, the gun was actually listed at the auction house as a 10ga.

I came away with still plenty of thickness. Was not allowed to pull the locks.

At the time this gun was built 12C was good for up to 3", anything longer was marked 12L.
Posted By: reb87 Re: Tell me about Scott Imperial Premiers..... - 11/19/07 01:25 PM
What did the remington bring?
I was told it actually brought about $1200 after commission and tax.
I called Ann at ButterScotch this morning. She told me that LOT Number 431 sold for $10,000.00 and that Lot Number 432 sold for $850.00. I failed to ask what the TOTAL price was with FEES and TAXES added in. An earlier poster mentioned adding 25% to the bid price to account for the FEES and TAX, that seemed to be a very high % compared to what I am use to seeing. IF the Remington SXS 10 Gauge was an authentic gun and undamaged other than the rust on the muzzle that was a bargain and maybe even a steal !!! Did anyone here examine these guns in person ??? What was the condition of the Remington 10 Gauge ??? Thank You, Jent
Okay I got two conflicting reports on the Remington, I was told $850 then $950 but $850 seems right.

The auction commission was 17.5% and tax runs 7.375%, 24.875% total.

I saw the gun, see the thread called "Name this Rem." It looked to me to be a restock and not well done, but I don't have much experience with Remingtons. And it was a 12ga., the bores were pitted but hadn't been honed.

If your not a NY resident,as that is where it was held,there should be no sales tax charged.Some auction houses to try but its not legal for shipped items.You are then responsible to pay your own state sales tax.Of course for some of us that is 0!
Most auctions around here operate under they "you buy it, you take it with you". I assume if you made arrangements beforehand and were bidding by phone you could have it shipped and, to NH anyway, pay no tax.

Love your license plates, I come up every year to hunt with a friend and always feel good the first time I see "Live Free or Die" on a plate!
I did see the auction and its my understanding they would ship it (with FFL of course)I do bid on quite a few out of state ones and all have shipping available if they take absentee or phone bids.They want the bidders.
I like the plates too,my wife has a Moose on hers with the "Live Free or Die" logo.Beat the heck out of that liberal "Garden State" I left 10 years ago !
I once owned an old Premier,with 'Made especially for A.W. DuBray' engraved on the rib,circa 1890,that had the bars on top of the fences. These were for the old hammer gun shooters,who were used to seeing two spurs in their sight picture. Marcus
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com