doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tom Hall Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 11:57 AM
Recently had a new Turkish double from an American manufacturer (who shall go nameless to avoid bad press)come into the shop. Asked why it hadn't been picked up yet.
Well, it was but there were problems.
Finish was good as was the fit but I noticed that the recoil pad was delaminating. Turns out though, that wasn't all.

Neither mainspring was installed.
If I remember correctly there was another part missing as well.
Cocking lever maybe?

Amazing.

Tom
Posted By: M D Christian Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 12:15 PM
Since you said "nameless", I'll ask, What quality control?...MDC
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 02:01 PM
Is it a Mossberg import? That 'Khan' O/U is dreadful.
As I posted before turks make wonderful wool rugs.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 02:35 PM
Somebody swiped the parts to keep another one going.
Posted By: Buzzbee Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 05:08 PM
Why do you think they cost less?
Final QC is a another overhead in the Mfg process.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 05:14 PM
Sounds like an LC Smith.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 05:58 PM
Tom,
From your cyptogram, I can't tell what manufacturer to be warned about without just painting all the Turkish made guns with the same brush. Why bring it up at all if avoiding "bad press" is what you intend? A guess; S&W because they are the only "manufacturer"?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 06:28 PM
Far as I know, S&W is indeed the only American maker with their own manufacturing plant in Turkey. However, several other American manufacturers are having guns made for them in Turkey, in plants they don't own (like Kimber and Mossberg, to name a couple).
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 09:01 PM
I bought a new post-64 Model 70 Winchester in .338 when I was in Vietnam from a dealer in Iowa. When I returned home I took the new gun out of the original box and walked through town on the way to the town dump to try her out,carrying her on my shoulder. I fired 7 shots and on the 8th the forend flew into several pieces some of them hitting me in the face. I took it home and reconstructed the stock and they had let a stock leave the plant with a 3 inch open seasoning check in the barrel channel almost an 8th of an inch wide out the door. There was even stock finish in the check. I sent it back and they replaced the stock for nothing. Some one was surely asleep on that one at New Haven.I had no further problems with the gun.
Posted By: Tom Hall Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 11:26 PM
Now I would never want to paint an entire country's trade in a negative light. I have a CZ Mallard which I still contend is the best gun on the market for the money; or at least mine is good. The wood is better fit and quality than on a friend's Beretta.
That being said, I goofed and it may in fact be Russian. Nothing to do with the quality of the piece anyway (recoil pad aside.)
Q
Question was: How did it leave the factory HERE without being noticed?
I am just waiting to see how fast the replacement comes in after the company was contacted

Tom
Posted By: Kyrie Re: Time to check on quality control - 11/05/07 11:48 PM
Some years ago I had occassion to examine a NIB S&W double stack 9mm P pistol, in which the new barrel was a smooth bore. It had never been rifled.

Last year one box of Federal 9mm P I bought had three rounds in it with the primers seated upside down.

Two months ago I was shooting trap with three friends. One brought his brand new, just out of the box Browning O/U to shoot. When he opened the action one of the ejectors popped out and flew onto the weeds. It took us fiftenn minutes down on hands and knees to find it.

All of which jsut goes to show that life hitshappens :-)

Best,

Kyrie
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com