doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tom C Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/30/07 01:33 AM
I love spending other peoples money. A good friend of mine has asked me to help her purchase a new O/U for her husband. He has been shooting an 870 for years and he would like an O/U (field grade, 12 gauge) and so for their 25th she would like to buy him one with my help. She has $1,500 for this gun.

So off we went to Cabelas and Gander Mountain while her husband was away on business. There I showed her the usual Browning, Beretta, Ruger, Winchester, Franchi and Fausti. The Browning and Beretta would need to be the low end models. The Ruger RL is nice but very plain. Winchester was OK but she didn't like the high gloss finish. The Franchi Renaissance seemed like a nice gun for the money as did the Fausti. I know of all these guns except for the Fausti. However, I do know that Fausti also made guns for Traditions which I feel are junk. The Fausti line at Cabelas actually looked pretty good. Nice wood, nice metal to wood fit, nice engraving, choice of side plate or case colored etc. I have to say the Fausti seemed like a very nice gun for the money.

I am hoping some of you would like to help me spend her money wisely and offer your thoughts on the Fausti and others I mentioned. Please remember that I hunt and shoot clays and 5 stand with this guy so my reputation (butt) is on the line here. Although I have bought a number of guns over the years but most have been used and SxS.

Thanks.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/30/07 02:56 AM
You can buy several models of field Citoris for that money(I think). Any of them would be better buys than the Fausti. You asked for opinions and that's mine.
I'd also suggest shopping around at places other than Cabela's, if you want the best price.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/30/07 12:17 PM
I was not particularly impressed with the Traditions "Real 16", but I wouldn't necessarily rule out Fausti based on that. They're making the Weatherby Athena d'Italia sxs, and I understand Weatherby has also switched to Fausti (from SKB) for their OU's. Have not heard any feedback from anyone who's put one of the more expensive Faustis that Cabela's is selling through its paces.
Posted By: Tom C Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/30/07 05:48 PM
I have to say that the Fausti that Cabelas had looked much, much nicer than the Traditions. From an asthetics standpoint and features that were available they looked better than the low end Brownings and they were a couple hundred dollars less. Reliability and quality are the question and I suspect we won't know until they have been on the market for a while.

I do plan on shopping a few of the smaller, local shops. I do know that Cabelas is high priced, especially on the guns in the gun library. I will find out about new gun prices.

Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/30/07 06:13 PM
Besides reliability and quality, it's good to consider the resale market. It will much easier to re-sell a Browning Citori that something like a Fausti. The fact that they are making guns to sell under the Weatherby name doesn't mean much, either. Weatherby shotguns(and rifles, for that matter) have been more sizzle than steak for a long time, IMO.
Fausti kills themselves in the US market by using just one name. Fausti makes really nice guns and they make rather not so nice gun, and they all wear the same name. One could get away with that if there were racks of Fausti's everywhere you looked, but that isn't the case. I really don't know a good way to judge the reputation of a Fausti because they make so many different grades of guns that are not common here in the US.

I would recommend the Browning, Beretta and Winchesters becuse they all have a reputation for being stout sturdy guns.
If you have to question the quality of a Brand X gun, then it's probably not a good buy at any price. Spending the $1,500 on Brand X because it looks nice and has nice features may come back to haunt you when it's time to sell or trade up...no one wants it. I'd recommend you spend the money on a "name" brand product like the Browning, Beretta, Ruger, etc. that will hold some value. In fact, you might shop around for a nice "lightly" used gun and get even more value for the money.
Posted By: popplecop Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/31/07 01:31 AM
I shot a Fausti O/U for years, it is a 2 barrel set, 28 and 410. Never used the 410 too much, but shot several thousand rounds of 28s. Gave the gun to a Grandson that fell in love with it and it gets shot a lot. Never have had any problems with it when I was shooting it or now either. Will say I do much prefer SxSs tho.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/31/07 02:28 AM
As an old fart that has seen much between friends and loved ones, I offer the following.
You are involved with a situation that can bring a bit of distress in a friendship.
I would simply tell your friend's bride that you are out of your element and suggest that she present him with two things. A promise of something wonderful to come and her wish that he buy himself a gun.
You should then present both of them a certificate for a grand dinner at a good restaurant and your best wishes.
All will be well.
And your friend will grin, the next morning,all the way to the gun store of his choice.:}
Best,
John
VERY sound advice, John...
Posted By: JayCee Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/31/07 02:51 PM
This tribe does have its quota of Wise Men. One has spoken.

JC
DITTO
Posted By: builder Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/31/07 07:40 PM
Sometimes you have to step back to see the situation from another person's perspective. John has done just that for you. Take his wise advice and tell your friend to buy a nice card and write what she wants her husband to do with the $1500. If he is smart, he will take the money, add some to it and buy what he wants.

Best,
Milt
Posted By: Tom C Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/31/07 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I actually mentioned that to her after we looked at Cabela's. She would prefer to give him an actual gift rather than a just a note or gift certificate but she is thinking about that option. That came up because when we stopped at Gander Mountain they mentioned they would not take a new gun back for a full refund even if it had not been shot. They would however be nice enough to take it back at a big discount as a used gun!!
Tom,

Call me at 308-255-8274 or e-mail me at tbryant@cabelas.com. I think I can help you out.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 10/31/07 10:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
Weatherby shotguns(and rifles, for that matter) have been more sizzle than steak for a long time, IMO.

Jim, no comment here on Weatherby rifles. However, Weatherby OU's have been SKB's for quite some time. Do you intend the above remark to apply to those guns--and hence to SKB's as well as Weatherbys?
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 11/01/07 01:27 AM
I sure did. I have no trouble with that opinion. You don't have to agree, though.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Fausti Stefano O/U - Quality? Cabelas? - 11/01/07 12:30 PM
Well, I think quite a few people would have good things to say about SKB OU's, whether they're marked Ithaca, Mitsui, just SKB, or Weatherby. The basic design of the gun has been with us for better than 40 years now, which is fair longevity in the business.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com