doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bruce in WV Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 02:01 AM
I would like to engrave a low glare pattern on an unadorned rib, but don't have a sample. I would greatly appreciate any examples from American shotguns that I can share with my engraver and we can choose a modest one for my project.
Please post here a small picture of a portion of the engrved rib here or email it to 'hbrucelow at aol.com'
Thank you.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 02:19 AM
Bruce,
I can think of better things to have an engraver do with my money than scratch up a rib. But, it's your project. So, here's my favorite pattern for it's functionality. Andy's Custom Shop used to do this until he went over to the dark side and BK. Someone else might know of another machine in the biz for this.

Posted By: JM Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 01:39 PM
Bruce, I've found that a cross-cut style of engraving on the rib does a good job of cutting down glare.

Here's a link to a little site I keep. When the page loads, scroll down to the bottom row of pics and click on the third thumbnail titled "Rizzini Extra Lusso Top Strap" to see what it looks like.

http://groups.msn.com/Herbicide/shoebox.msnw?Page=2
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 02:59 PM
The example that JM provided is typical of mid to high end European guns. I don't know of vintage American guns that have used this pattern. The 'squiggly pattern' above was used on many guns from Winchesters to Fox and Brownings later, with slight variations on depth and size of the 'squiggles'.

Another typical pattern on vintage American gun ribs is the "engine turned" pattern. This particular barrel set is an Ithaca with a flat topped rib. It can have different a look based on depth and whether concave or flat topped.

And this set has a concave rib top.

This is a LC Smith pattern, which is a series of little pyrimid shaped indentations.
http://www.pbase.com/roaniecowpony/image/49583640

If you tell us what kind of gun it is, I'm sure someone can provide what may have been factory original patterns.
Posted By: JM Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 03:20 PM
Sorry about that Bruce, I overlooked that you wanted American shotguns.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 03:38 PM
BTW, all the examples that I've shown are machine cut or impressed in the case of the LC Smith.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 05:46 PM
If I recall correctly, Dan Lefever purchased a rib matting machine. He was supposed to have been very proud of that fact. Can't recall ever seeing a Lefever with engraving "on the rib".

Again, if I recall correctly. The segment of the Shotgun Journal when they redoing the M21. Mention was made, as Chuck H stated, of the matting that Andy could supply. It may have been original equipment. But I would not swear to that.

Pete
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 06:15 PM
I have seen a number of Lefevers with the "engine turned" matting.

I'm wondering if Andy's shop will restart under some supervision or if the matting machine will end up in someone's hands that can use it.
Posted By: Bill Hambidge Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 07:45 PM
If memory serves me correctly, I believe Bob Williams of Wind River Rifles has at least one barrel matting machine. Best, Dr. BILL
Posted By: Bruce in WV Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/16/07 10:09 PM
Gentlemen:
You never disappoint me! Thank you for the effort of providing the illustrations; they give me a very good starting point with the restorer.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/17/07 12:29 AM
The Ithaca rib is simple if you have a milling machine with a long table. It is produced with a single point tool and the table indexes with every rotation.
bill
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/17/07 02:34 AM
Bruce,
I looked at Wind River Rifle's website and found this. http://www.windriverrifle.com/page/page/3928942.htm

He says he does Parker and LC Smith rib matting. If true, the Parker is a shallow squiggly line pattern and the LC is shown above. So, he may be your best bet if either of those patterns are what you're after.
Posted By: tw Re: Engraving pattern on rib? - 10/17/07 04:09 AM
If the rib is flat, having it 'file cut' may prove the most expedient and probably the least expensive. Josef Jurgevic used to do one in an hour, more or less, while drinking a bit of wine and having a conversation. It requires a bit of skill and training, but no machines. Aside from the asthetic, it also provides one of the very best anti glare finishes ever devised.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com