doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: nialpatrickmac top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 01:37 PM
Anyone know a great tig welder in the SE. PA. NJ. or Delaware region. One who can weld a new tip on a firing pin or similar small work. Thanks.
npm
Posted By: Jim Kobe Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 04:06 PM
Why not just have a new pin made?
Posted By: Bill Hambidge Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 04:20 PM
As one who does TIG weld, Jim's suggestion is far and away the best. The weld would be fine, the integrity of the firing pin aft of the weld????? Best, Dr. BILL
Posted By: Chuck H Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 04:54 PM
Being primarily a machinist rather than a welder, I would make a new pin from scratch. While you may succeed in a welded pin working, the new pin will have better mechanical properties that make is less likely to fail again. Keep in mind that a weld is essentially a casting. Castings have grain size and alignment that is not ideal for strength or toughness. On a firing pin, there is no option to make it thicker in crossection for added strength to compensate. Typically, firing pins are made from bar stock. Bar stock has mechanical properties similar to a forging where the grain size and alignment is more idealized.

Another option that I've seen on this board is the drilling out of the tip and pressing in of a new tip.

No matter if you weld it, drill and replace the tip or make a new complete pin, it needs to be of the correct hardness, which often means heat treating.
Posted By: Montana Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 05:04 PM
I'm thinking the firing pin example was just an example. Maybe the fellow needs another sear nose or something.
Posted By: nialpatrickmac Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 06:40 PM
Montana, exactly. It's the end of a revolver pawl and a complicated little devil. I'll make a new one from O1 steel if I have to but that means a whole lot of filing.
npm
Posted By: Bill G. Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 06:49 PM
npm

Send me and e-mail and I will be glad to help you out with the welding. If it is weldable I can do it. bill@aeweld.com

Bill G.
Posted By: nialpatrickmac Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 07:56 PM
Thanks Bill. I'll do that.
npm
Posted By: gunut Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 08:36 PM
Even on a hinged shotgun its not always the pin/hook that needs the weld....After the season I have a double that will need a tig weld but its the lock mechanism that is worn not the hinge.......
Posted By: Chuck H Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 09:19 PM
GN,
Oscar mentioned he believed that a certain prominent English gentleman gunsmith in TX used a spray metal process for the hooks. This apparently applies metal fairly evenly and thinly. Might be worth studying for the bolting mech.
Posted By: nialpatrickmac Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/10/07 10:51 PM
There's an outfit in Louisiana, ad in SSM, that may use spray weld on hooks. I spoke to 'em a few years ago about tightening an SS for me. The owner wouldn't say what welding process they used so I didn't go that route. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what method of repair will be used on a very expensive gun and expect an answer. In the event, I fired up the lathe, made a new hinge pin and rejointed the action. Better and cheaper solution but way more time consuming.
npm
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/11/07 01:36 AM
The outfit in LA told me they do a series of welds that gradually builds up the hook and then it is fitted precisely. They also said the cost is in the $700 neighborhood. Not a job for inexpensive guns.
Posted By: tw Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/11/07 05:03 AM
Plasma spray was the original term for what is being called a 'sprayed on weld' here, useful for rebuilding crank pins on locomotive crankshafts and other applications that involve very expensive parts being repaired to original dimensions, and in some cases to better than original, from a duribility perspective. The equipment is not inexpensive and like most forms of precision work requires expertise for best results. As in welding, a broad selection of materials is available for use with this method. I would strongly suspect the work is being subcontracted out for any gun related repairs, but would have no reason to think the end result would not be satisfactory.

Here is a good link on the subject:

http://www.matscieng.sunysb.edu/tsl/thermal/article1.html
Posted By: TOM REGAL Re: top notch tig welder? - 10/15/07 12:30 AM
Send it to Freddie Brunner in the L.A. area.....he is a master TIG welder. He recently put the tip back on an old L.C. Smith 10 gauge cocking rod....you could not see where the work had been done....truly a craftsman. He is routinely used by Walt Schiessl the L.C. Smith man who swears by Freddie.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com