doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dprater Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 12:45 PM
I just bought an Ithaca double which is in the Minier range. It is a 2 grade, 12 guage with steel barrels. I took it to a gunsmith to have it checked out before I take it out hunting. When I picked it up he said it was in great shooting condition (I plan to shoot 2 1/2 inch low pressure shells) but he warned it was a 'buddy killer'. He showed me the safety which has 3 positions, the middle of which is the safe position. The top and bottom positions are for each barrel which means if you pull the safety to the bottom which would be normal for safe, it is ready to fire. Do any of you gentlemen have any knowledge about this kind of safety and when you fire one barrel do you have to pull the safety to the other position before you can fire the other barrel? Thanks for any information.

David
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 01:04 PM
David:

It is a 3 position saftey. When pressed forward it should return to safe(middle position). And when pulled readward, it should not return to safe upon opening the breech. I have heard a few different opinions on the subject. One was that the hammergun hunters who pulled the mule ears or dolphin hammers rearward wanted something of the like in an earless spaniel type of gun. So, pulling the safety back was akin to pulling the hammers back. Possibly a transition type safety. Very common on early Ithaca guns. One older gentleman quail hunter informed me that the rear selection was for a cove rise; whereas, the forward position was for singles.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: dprater Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 01:18 PM
Wow, great information. Forum never ceases to amaze me with the knowledge. Very appreciative.

David
Posted By: M D Christian Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 01:52 PM
I think the original intent of the three way safety, was to enable a hunter to have an automatic safety (By sliding it forward) and a trap shooter, to have a manual safety(By sliding it rearward).. MDC
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 03:40 PM
I agree with MDC., rear position was for the trap or pigeon shooter(popular back then) Ithaca discontinued the 3 position safety about 1913.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 04:57 PM
Without question, that was the purpose. But isn't it amusing to listen to the anecdotes and folklore surrounding a mechanical device?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: dprater Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 05:58 PM
I plan to take it to the Sportsman's Club today to sample some clays and get accustom to the safety before heading to Iowa to hunt. It may be my fellow hunters may send me to a different corn field!
Since you indicated it may have been used for pigeon shooting, I also have an Ithaca I think Flues that says Pigeon on the barrel. I have not looked at the safety and not shot it but would it have a the same type safety? I could not find any reference in Walt's book about pigeon guns.

Thanks
David
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 06:26 PM
Your Flues gun is a Pigeon Grade. It may have the same safety, depends when it was made. Probably has Krupp Steel barrels and cost $10.00 more then a regular grade 2.
Posted By: dprater Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 06:54 PM
Walt,

You are correct about the Krupp barrels and it appears to be the grade 2. I will check the safety when I get home. Again thanks to all for the information.

David
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/08/07 09:09 PM
I have several LC Smith guns with the three position safety and i do not care for them! I am far sighted and cannot glance down and clearly see if on safe, so i am constantly having to slide the safety to know whether gun is on safe or not! Bobby
Posted By: battle Re: Ithaca Questions - 10/09/07 12:19 AM
dprater........good to see some locals on here!
I have a Minier grade 2 20ga.
Post some pics if you get a chance. Also if you havn't purchsed Walt's book, it's a must for the Ithaca collector/shooter.

Best!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com