doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Robert Chambers Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 02:08 PM
Taken from the "Damascus explained" thread...

I can't get this poster to stay away from my posts...in the past he has elevated threads to racial hatred...I thought we had agreed to not communicate any further, but he has forgotton...

Now Lowell has chimed in on the damascus thread, again, without any information to offer that may advance everyones understanding of the subject being discussed.

Lowell and homeless have once again began posting without anything constructive to offer...these two individuals are the the reason many timid (yet knowledgeable) contributors will not add to the threads. On past threads, some have suggested the Lowell has been banished from other bullitin systems for this very reason. How many members have to flag his vicious postings before the site administrator takes notice and banishes him as well. Now hes training homeless joe to be the same. Lowell Glenthorne has done more damage to this bullitin system than can be counted...I will not be intimidated by this bully...or his sidekick homeless joe...

Lowell and joe...how dare you muck up this thread...I will meet you on another thread to address all your damaging postings.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 02:24 PM
the both of them are just plain mean people. I have no use for either of them, most especially Lowell. If only this board had an ignore feature, but, alas, it does not.

I have no use for mean people. None at all.

Brent
Posted By: jack maloney Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: BrentD
If only this board had an ignore feature, but, alas, it does not.

It does have an "ignore feature." Best of all, it is on your own keyboard! If people ignored the mean-spirited posters, they'd eventually go away - especially the ones who just do it to get attention for themselves.
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 03:12 PM
Revdocdrew, PeteM, Utahshotgunner, REB87, dbad,775,DH,Brockway,Rocketman and many others had put a great many hours of researching, digesting, and posting to assemble one of the most comprehensive studies on damsacus barrel history known. Not to mention all the photography and picture hosting hours spent by many members. You can't get this stuff anywhere else but here, and that is why this issue should be addressed. Lowell's and Joe's damaging posts undermine the efforts of all who have contributed, and some have contributed heavily. Did Lowell even notice Rev's thesis size contribution before he flew in? We owe to the acedemic contributors to keep these social butterflies at bay.
I thought I was adding to the understanding of damascus by giving notice of an upcoming episode of PBS Nova about the the damascus sibling, samurai steel. Apparently this was non-technical enough to give these members an inroad into Rev's carefully constructed thread. For that, I apologize to everyone who spilled their research hours into that thread, especially Rev.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 03:23 PM
Well, Lowell and jOe can be a little ornery, but both seem to have some useful knowledge or opinions to share from time to time; don't think I'll ignore'em just yet...Geo
Posted By: chux Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 03:30 PM
I agree totally!!
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 03:36 PM
Great! You say "ornery" because you don't have 30 to 50 hours into it that way some contributors do...I say tragically disrespectful of someone elses acedemic efforts...I'm sure you've learned alot more abour doubles from Lowell than from Rev...
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 03:54 PM
There are people of value who contribute here whose value does not involve scholarship. Sometimes Lowell, especially, presents a new take on things that make our search for knowledge more interesting. Mr. Chambers, you just rise too eagerly for their bait...Geo
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 04:10 PM
After reading this thread, what comes to mind is that Dave Weber must be one heck of a tolerant man. I've never met him but he must also fully embrace our freedom of speech, particularly in the internet arena. My hat is off to him for providing this forum.

More directly in regard to RC's post that started this thread, I'll say that more than once Lowell and others have made comments that have stuck in my crawl. I might have done the same to someone else. I'm going to say that in the spirit of Dave's obvious tolerance, I say leave these guys be. Besides, it ain't our call anyway. If no one responds to obvious disruptive posts and continues on the subject, it'll fix itself.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 04:31 PM
I also support Lowell and HJ as contributors with a sense of humor. Lighten up, life's short.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 05:10 PM
If you think Lowell's bad now you should have been here when he first arrived. He has straightened up considerably.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 05:20 PM
I never thought Lowell was a real person. I thought it was a nom de guerre of someone acting as an agent provocateur.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: MickeyD
I never thought Lowell was a real person. I thought it was a nom de guerre of someone acting as an agent provocateur.

You think???...Geo
Posted By: Two Triggers Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 05:52 PM
I like to think that Lowell actually lives in Manhattan and lives on a trust fund that gives him time to be the biggest chain-jerker on the board. But that's just me. TT
Posted By: dblfever Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 06:01 PM
[..I will not be intimidated by this bully...] quoted from Mr. Chambers about Lowell, thats got to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on this board.....Lowell might be a lot of things but a bully, nah, I have seen him viciously attacked and have never seen him issue a harsh word in response. I read the whole damascus thread to see what set this off and it was nothing till Mr. Chambers went off on Homeless with one of the worst, nastiest postings I have ever seen on this board because I guess Homeless's contributions to the thread weren't up to his standards of excellence. You don't get to pick who posts here.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 06:25 PM
I've always secretly believed that the "Thorney" persona was just Dave Weber trying to boost his "Neilson Ratings" among the internet community. Just a thought, but if he doesn't deny it...well...Geo
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 06:29 PM
Trouble is we'll lose Robert and keep Lowell!!
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 06:34 PM
Hey Robert, you have to know that when you post anything in cyberspace you open yourself to all kinds of commentary both supportive and hostile. That is both a drawback and the sheer beauty of the internet. Quit whining! If you can't accept that you should probably lock yourself away in an ivory tower somewhere.

This board's collective personality is made up of many individuals, and like it or not, Thorny and Joe are part of it..........wouldn't be the same without them.....or without you, you old crank! Lighten up!
Posted By: NTaxiarchis Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 06:44 PM
Thye very worst it's ever gotten to on this board is a walk in the park compared to some forums. This place really is the acme of good will and cordiality. There are a few self-styled experts, and pot stirrers, but no more than any other site. I don't find Lowell or Homeless all that interesting. and they don't seem to contribute much (since I've been reading this board anyway) but they're both relatively harmless. I simply skip over most of what they write.

I have noticed that the chain-jerkers do seem to get more of a rise out of folks as we approach the fall. Hopefully hunting season will give everyone a chance to blow off a little steam and reset their frame of reference.

Best

Nick
Posted By: King Brown Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 08:22 PM
As a guess, Lowell may be our most provacative member, in posts and opinions.He may have been banned elsewhere. He may stay up nights making juices to stir into the board. What counts with me during the five years I've been here is that I haven't noted any nastiness from him, ethnically, morally, politically. I enjoy him.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 09:07 PM
Lighten up!
Come here....I got something for you...
Pull my finger

Posted By: Bouvier Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 09:07 PM
One of the good things about the Internet and some might say one of the bad things is that people are free to be whomever they choose to be in this village square. I have always thought that when a participant slips on an Internet persona, rather than hide who they are, they give us some real insights into who they really are. In the face to face world they might be reluctant to be outright racist, sexist, narrow-minded, or just nasty. Under cover of cyberspace the inhibition slips away ...... They can speak from the darkness. There was a time when I found it necessary to confront crappy behavior on the Internet the same way I do in the rest of my life ..... I am basically a confrontational kind of guy. But I have found out that it gives me very little satisfaction. I do not believe I can change anyone's behavior at this distance ....... so why waste the time and energy? All this being said, I must admit that I give in to my temperament from time to time and take a swing or two. All this being said, I don't think H'OJ or LG are able to hide much behind the persona they have adopted here ...... and for the most part I think they are harmless.

I have learned a lot here ...... let's talk about SxS shotguns!

Al
Posted By: Deltaboy Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/27/07 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Yeti
Lighten up!
Come here....I got something for you...
Pull my finger

Don't that smell good? Tears in my eyes!
Posted By: 775 Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 02:22 AM
Yeti, Yeti, Yeti.........
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 04:04 AM
OK...I get it...let's see if I can lighten up...

I didn't know Lowell and homOjoe had made this video...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=0

which one is the blond, Queen Lowell or homOjoe ?

Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 04:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Two Triggers
I like to think that Lowell actually lives in Manhattan and lives on a trust fund that gives him time to be the biggest chain-jerker on the board. But that's just me. TT

Actually Queen Lowell is an objectophile who likes to spend his time typing from his bedroom, in his parents home, and usually in his underwear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6rPTinLcA

how am I doing?...I feel lighter already
Posted By: dbadcraig Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 04:58 AM
I haven't posted here for many days; sometimes life just takes over fun. This forum has been a very reliable and healthy source of fun, distraction and a way to meet and exchange ideas with the like-minded and not so like-minded who share in this great pastime. Let's face it that's what a hobby is all about.

At times it appears we focus on our differences more than our similarities. Which fellow among us here would not give the other fellow among us a box of shells, a spare set of eye or ear protection, or even allow a round of trap or skeet with their shotgun if the other fellow was in need? I say down to a man, each of us would step up and give a hand to the other. I know this because I have been around our sort my entire life.

I try to keep that in mind when reading posts I don't agree with or posts where someone steps outside the bounds of what is generally considered decent. Each one of us, is, or has potential to be, another's best friend. In fact, most often it tends to be the people who are most alike that find the most reason to disagree. Try to discuss much less argue caliber, gauge or choke with someone who doesn't know the difference between a shotgun and a rifle.

Now will someone kindly share a photo of a really neat recently purchased SxS shotgun and tell us how it shoots?

Doug
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 05:28 AM
I'll step up and try to lighten the air. Boss 1871 Jones underlever hammergun. Bought 1 August. It hasn't arrived yet. Non rebounding dolphin hammers, percussion fences, best foliate-scroll engraving, well figured cross-over stock with steel butt plate, 7lbs 5ozs nitro proof made in 1871. My first Boss. The photo is scanned from a printed copy thus the bad quality.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=519302&c=547&z=1"][/url]
Posted By: smilinjohn Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 07:14 AM
Often times I cannot make heads or tails out of what Lowell is talking about.....sometimes I think that I am just dense when it comes to Lowell's prose.
John
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 12:52 PM
Well then, I am dense as well. Many times I have to wait till the thread unravels to sort out the intent. I have no dog in this fight at all. But,"can't we just all get along?"
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 01:06 PM
I believe that most folks here enjoy Lowell. Just take a look at some of his threads and check out the responses. Most run to multiple pages.
Posted By: Rd Show Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 01:07 PM
With out bad you can't recognize good.
Posted By: Greg Tag Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 01:40 PM
Mike:

Way cool Boss.

Tell us a bit more about the hunt for it, and the acquisition?
Just an aside, but John Mann's friend Tolley didn't find it in his sheep shed under a grain bin?

What is the chambering. Hmm... what DID they chamber in 1871?

2"? 2-1/2"? At 7.5 pounds weight, that seems to me to produce about a 1-1/4 oz shot charge. A bit heavy for a game gun. Perhaps intended for rough shooting? I would be loath to take such a lovely thing into a duck blind.

Those non-rebounding hammers will make it slower for your man when he is reloading for you in a hot corner.

I, and the rest of the mob here ( who hopefully have now relinquished pitchfork and torch) look forward to your reply.

Regards

GKT
Posted By: John Mann Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 01:52 PM
Mike:
You posted, "My first Boss". I really like this statement. Smacks of certain knowledge that good things are in your future.
Keep us posted on this great gun and the next one you find.
Best,
John
Posted By: Hansli Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 02:00 PM
Mr. Chambers you want to win. There is no winning or losing here, just talk. Those twO guys are as important to this forun as yOu or anyone else is. Here's a box of kleenex, dry your eyes because teacher isn't going to do anything for you. Cheer up, no one is shooting at you or trying to blow you up today...that would be a real problem.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 02:07 PM
GKT and John, I bought it at an auction. Which is where I buy most of my guns. I don't need a crossover stock but for the price that I paid for it I couldn't let it get away. I'm not into hammerguns either, probably use it for trading stock. It's chambered for 2 1/2" and it has been rebarreled. The rib says " rebarreled for Boss & Co." I don't think it means it was rebarrled by them but maybe. I'll have to ask them.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 02:40 PM
I think it is pretty evident that "most" of the goofball posts, meant to incite, or be cute etc, are done by the people with fake names. The Parker site changed their rules , as I recall, to eliminate fake names. If this site did the same, it would be much better in my opinion.
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 02:42 PM
To quote Hansli..."Mr. Chambers you want to win"...this is absolute bullshit...I was discussing damascus when these pigeons arrived...What I want is these two cyber-mos to leave me out of the loop, so that I will be free to discuss doubles...
I thought I had an agreement with Queen Lowell and homOjoe to just leave me alone....Can't I be a neutral participant?...I was discussing damascus when these offensive pigeons showed up...then I was on the defensive...everyone said lighten up...so I played it offensively....now Hansli doesn't like that either
Let me see if I have this correct...QL & homOjoe won't allow me to be neutral...Yeti doesn't want me to be defensive...and Hansli doesn't want me to be offensive...
Well the only options left are to leave all board participation, or just allow these cyber-mos to run roughshod over me...
I choose to be pleasantly offensive toward these two...and have a little fun at the same time...
Why aren't you guys suggesting to Queen Lowell, that perhaps he should conduct himself differently in the future? Just because you don't have the guts to put these knuckleheads in check, doesn't mean that I have to put my tail between my legs like you...Now I'm on the offensive, I will find Lowell and homO on other discussion subjects where I have no interest other than slamming them, and do so...just for shits and giggles, like Lowell...and you all enjoy it when he does it...
Maybe...just maybe...these pigeons will let me return to being neutral....
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 02:54 PM
Post Deleted
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 03:16 PM
Geo,
My foolishness? All I want is for these pigeons to leave me alone, so that I may post academic info...is that to much to ask?...I've received several emails in support of my views...until Lowell and joe learn to treat people decently they must reap what they sow...

As far as I'm concerned this thread is over...I am going to focus my efforts on bashing Queen Lowell and homOjoe on every thread I can find them on...the hunted becomes the hunter...Its fine with Geo Newburn when Lowell does it to others, now we'll see how he likes it when Lowell is on the receiving end...quit protecting this bitch...
Posted By: Ed Pirie Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 03:24 PM
Mr. Chambers:

Please do not write anything more like your recent post. This is a wonderful forum where we can all learn something about a subject and hobby very dear to us. I understand that there can be some annoying posts tacked on to very worthwhile threads, but that doesn't mean we should retaliate like you are. I think if you let it go, in time, it will die of its own accord. You will drive away any support you may have for your point of view if you continue with this kind of writing. I am an eager student when the contributors are worthy of my attention. Pleae don't dissappoint me.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 03:25 PM
We should just stop this thread right where it is because I knew this was going to happen we'll lose Robert but keep Lowell!!!
Not the best
Posted By: dbadcraig Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 04:13 PM
Mike-

Very nice shotgun and very nice try! I recall you were not into hammerguns, so I was kind of surprised to see that one from you. I did eventually get a hammer gun to fill my need for an older double. Nothing as sweet as an old English make, however. I wasn't actually looking for a hammer gun, it more or less found me. They are a bit more difficult to use in the field, as you told me. But on trap and skeet and with the typically tight chokes, more so on trap they work just fine. They actually have some advantages (save for the longer lock time).

Doug
Posted By: John Mann Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 04:20 PM
Time does march on and style does change. Sometimes a certain elegance is lost along the way.
I feel that this is the case with hammer guns. As one can learn to use a pump shotgun/rifle, one can learn to use a hammer gun easily.
There is simply something satisfying in taking one afield as our fathers or grandfathers did. Sort of a hand from long ago reaching out to shake ours today.
Best,
John
Posted By: dbadcraig Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 08:01 PM
John-

Agreed! I smoke pipes, use fountain pens and routinely wear mechanical watches.

I may waste a bit of time loading and tamping my pipes, spill a bit of ink now and again, I might not be tracking atomic time, and I'll happily miss a bird or two by forgetting to cock back a hammer.

However, while I am not opposed to walking, I haven't yet taken up the classic English car (with Lucas electronics) for transportation!

A life without quality is not nearly as rich or well lived.

Doug
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
I think it is pretty evident that "most" of the goofball posts, meant to incite, or be cute etc, are done by the people with fake names. The Parker site changed their rules , as I recall, to eliminate fake names. If this site did the same, it would be much better in my opinion.

Noting the ominous direction of this little private war between Chambers, Thorney and jOe, I thought I'd point out that George Newbern is not my real name. I just post using the movie star's name in hopes of getting phone numbers from hot chicks...Geo
Posted By: John Mann Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 08:36 PM
George:
Does that mean that I have permission to pass your phone number out. I must have had three dozen emails asking how to contact you and did not feel comfortable in doing so.
With your permission, I will in the future.
Naturally I do not wish to be boorish and ask how hot the emaileress is, so you will simply have to inquire yourself.LOL
Best,
John
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 08:41 PM
John, LOL...Geo
Posted By: reb87 Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 09:27 PM
Robert,
You just need to ignore posts that irritate you. HJ does contribute something worthwhile occasionaly even though he does seem to enjoy tearing others down. Being from the midwest I like to think that he is a good represenative of southern hospitality Tennessee style.
Ignore the posts, realize that some people get satisfaction out of making other people mad.
Thanks for your research,
Ross
Posted By: James M Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 09:34 PM
That's precisely the reason I DON'T post on the Parker site. How many of you want to advertise to the World that you have valuable firearms at your home? Do we really have any idea of who is monitoring this site? I have what I believe is good security but if a criminal can't find my place it doesn't really matter.
Jim
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 10:04 PM
Stallion, there could be a trade off, but they [Parker] have almost eliminated the goofball posts and those that entertain themselves by constant dialog goosing each other and anyone else they can pry loose. When posters are actually known to others, they tend not to entertain themselves with posts they would be ashamed to have friends and family read. We could be left with people who actually care to know about guns and share their information.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 11:00 PM
Robert Chambers you are evidently one sick human being....you have broken every rule in the book on this forum.

You called me a "racist and a hOmo" more than once....yOu should be ashamed of yourself Robert calling Lowell a "queen whO likes to type in his underware"...called us "pigeOns" doesn't bother me tOO much but you know how Lowell detests pigeon shooting...and I see yOu callerd me "hOmo" in another post...and Lowell a "bitch" in another....

Robert Chambers in the south we say people like you have no "up-bringing"

I would like to add I've read the vast knOwledge of trice told information in your pOsts....

"Internet Hunter"....

I think you are the one that neads to be removed from this board.

Ps...Robert'O when you called me a "hOmo" did you mean I was a hOmosapian or one of them other type hOmo'z ...

Could you send me a snapshot sweety pie ?

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 11:04 PM
Dang Lowell I go out of town a couple of days and the Interenet Hunter attacked us...

Ps....Lowell I don't care if you type in your underware.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/28/07 11:32 PM
I've enjoyed Robert making a fool of himself - center stage - for ALL TO SEE, and ALL TO KNOW. How embarrassing it must be, to be Robert Chambers.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/29/07 12:10 AM
My sentiments X'actly....Robert'O yOu been a bad bOy...

yer not typing in your underware are you Lowell ?
Posted By: Two Triggers Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/29/07 12:37 AM
Lowell: I often don't understand what you're saying, and clearly you live to "stir the pot," which sometimes drives me nuts, but you love the right kinds of guns, you love the hunt, you're a thinker, and you're always a gentleman. In my book, that counts for a great deal. Good hunting. TT
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/29/07 01:10 AM
Life would be boring without Lowell, there is not a bit of malice in the man and he can sure can start some interesting threads. I cannot understand how some real miserable men get on these boards and insult fine folks. They sure must have a miserable home life.... probably deserved...
Mike
Posted By: jas Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/29/07 04:29 PM
I often find both of them enjoyable to read. But if I am short on time, I just skip their comments. Homeless Joe did some wonderful articles on certain Shotguns which I enjoyed. I also know some folks do not like my comments on cold weather, clothes, etc. but then I have some 20 years in or on the ice in both polar regions.
Lets enjoy some of the comments but not be whinners. jas
Posted By: foxhound Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/29/07 11:20 PM
MAN, this has been one gnarly damn forum for the last few weeks!! Must be the moon or something !!!
Rick
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 09/30/07 12:26 AM
Robert'O must be off his medication.
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: Lowell and homeless joe - 10/01/07 11:46 AM
Post is going sideways...Just home form Vintage Cup and too tired to be nice (7 hour drive). So...this post..it's locked down.

I will caution certain users about abusive and or vulgar language...If it persists I will be pulling out the big red...double trigger ban the user button.

Honestly, this is supposed to be a place for SxS information exchange not an ego exercising urine squirting match. Let’s get back to basics...BE POLITE!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com