doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: uplander Gunshops in Michigan - 09/24/07 01:53 AM
I will be traveling to the Sagola/Iron River area in early Oct.with 3 other board members to do some grouse hunting. Any shops we should check out while we are in the area.
Thanks, John
Posted By: Chicago Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/24/07 02:39 PM
John:
Those are both fairly small towns and I am not aware of any gun shops of interest. There is a fellow that posts here that lives in that neck of the woods and he may be more informed on current status.

Not sure on your route to Iron River. There used to be an interesting selection of old american classics at the Seney general store, but they are located on M-28 and you may be gettig there via U.S. 2. Seney would be 30 minutes out of your way.

By the way all of the grouse in Iron County and Dickinson County died off years ago - essentially extinct up that way. No reported sitings in at least 5 years. The Wolves and Cougars are so thick it is not safe to be in the woods without the support of at least a company of Marines - heavily armed. Strongly advise you consider area around Montreal, Canada. Much closer to New Jersey and not nearly so dangerous. The outfitters up in Montreal will guaranty you 10 grouse per day and all the woodcock a young dog could want.
Posted By: CMWill Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/24/07 02:42 PM
Chicago, you used to hunt in Seney? My family used to go up there quite a bit and stay in the rustic cabins. Small world.
Posted By: Chicago Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/24/07 03:41 PM
CMWILL:
I grew up in SW, MI. Later I lived in Traverse City and Marquette for 11 years, but work brought me back to the Chicago area. Never hunted around Seney, more over by Marquette. My job took me across the U.P. and back down to Traverse City. Stopped in Seney every time I passed through.

Chicago Mike
Posted By: uplander Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/24/07 10:00 PM
Chicago, We tried hunting in Canada but none of our dogs speak french so it didn't work out too well.
John
Posted By: Chicago Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/24/07 10:28 PM
Uplander:
My English Setter offers French lessons to all Eastern dogs free of charge. He usually holds these classes in Ohio and South Eastern Michigan, but could be persuaded to hold a set in New Jersey.

Do you ever hunt the "Pine Barrens", I think that is close to the areas name. I spent some time in Lakehurst years ago, but never made it out hunting.

Good Luck on your trip to the U.P.

Chicago Mike
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/24/07 10:53 PM
You might stop at Cabela's in south central MI, in the town of Dundee (near Ann Arbor) or Hampel's Gun and Lock Shop in Traverse City (ask about their "Other room" - The good stuff often isn't generally available. never have figured out the marketing strategy
Posted By: Bill Hambidge Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/25/07 12:51 AM
Channing Will is too modest to list his family's GREAT shop near Alpena, MI, also there is another good sxs shop in Alpena, "Bob's" I believe. Best, Dr. BILL
Posted By: Chicago Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/25/07 02:02 AM
Hampel's is a great store, I have bought several doubles there. I forgot to mention Fieldsport in Traverse City, it is on Airport Rd. They have a wide selection of upper end doubles. You could check out their web site before you visit to narrow down options. My advise at either store is to leave your credit card at home, unless you are looking to buy. Google "Fieldsport" to find them, I forget their website address.
Posted By: RMC Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/25/07 02:33 AM
Chicago, Seney Store, has one less SXS as of a month ago. Brother bought a great Gates SXS hammergun. Engraving and wood you dream about. Embarrased to reveal the price. All that was left was a beater LC and a high end Merkel O/U. Have fun in the UP. If you need a guide, contact Grouse Feather Outfitter, Kevin Sloan, outside Munising. 906-322-1997. As serious a grouse hunter there is. Randy
Posted By: uplander Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/25/07 11:14 PM
Chicago, I did a lot of camping and hiking in the Pine Barrens but have never hunted them. Interesting place surrounded by alot of strange history. I'm sure we will have a great trip and I'll keep my eyes open for them cougars.
John
Posted By: Will S. Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/25/07 11:58 PM
Chicago -
If you like a good read, try THE PINE BARRENS by John McPhee.
Will
Posted By: Chicago Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/26/07 02:38 AM
RMC:
Thanks for tip on guide. I lived in Marquette for about 8 yrs, so I know the area fairly well.

Uplander:
Do you know if there is any upland hunting in Pine Barrens? Always looking for a new opportunity, especially if not frequented by many hunters.

Will:
A number of years ago I read a book about a Tracker who grew up near the Pine Barrens. He had an American Indian friend whose grandfather taught them both the old ways. Is that the same book?
Posted By: uplander Re: Gunshops in Michigan - 09/26/07 03:07 AM
The upland game in NJ is all pen raised these days we hunt leased property and preserves. The deer hunting is still very good. I have friends that deer hunt the pine barrens and do very well.
John
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com