doublegunshop.com - home
I've been eyeballing a 1961 Gr I 32" Lighting Trap. It's in the best condition of any used SP I've ever seen. I have to look hard to find a trace of rings on the breechface, and it's very tight - like a brand new gun. There is zero blue wear and the stock is 100% undinged and original. There's no paperwork, box, or case. It's part of a Long Island, NY collection that includes two M70s and another SP, 26 1/2", all in similar condition.

At $2,500, I don't think it's a good deal, but a fair deal.

What say you guys? Wayy too much?

I dont follow SP prices but my only question would be how common are the 32" tubes?
Yeti,
Frankly, any deal YOU think is good is a good deal. A 1961 Superposed with 32" barrels in mint condition for $2,500 sounds fair as well when you consider that you can't get the same quality from a new Japanese made Browning Citori or 525 Sporting for the same money.
For everyone who tells you it's only worth $1,900 or $1,500, you should ask if they have one they'd like to sell you. Mint 60's Brownings are not frequently encountered these days. So IMHO if you like it, buy it. If you pass, let me know.
A 1961 32" Lightning Trap with standard rib is not a catalogued item. It may be a European shipped product. The only 32" Super catalogued during that time was the Broadway, which was introduced in 1963, I think. I could be wrong about that. If it is a thin ribbed gun, it is very unusual on the U.S. market. A Broadway of a similar period is seldom a $2500 item.
Sharps,
That's about how I see it too. I'm just in the final stage of my standard GewehrkaufVerrücktheit (gun purchase psychodrama?) and I prefer a sanity check with you guys rather than with my wife. I already know her answer - "if it's really going to make you happy go ahead".

Storms,
It's a common gun and barrel length in uncommon condition. Maybe.

8-Bore,
The date is an estimate based on a 91XXX serial number. I'll double check, but I think the gun is a B'way.
Well, does it have the Broadway rib? A postwar 32" Browning Trap with standard rib is a rare bird in this country. I would be tempted to pay $2500 for a "new" one, if that's what it is, but not for a Broadway. Now that I think about it, I believe that 1961 is the introduction year for the Broadway.
1931 32" w/ stepped vent rib and Twin-Single Triggers.

I don't think it is redone and is currently about 90+% condition though I am slowly lowering that percentage.

Traded about $800 into it about 3-4 years ago. Did I do ok?
Yeti,
I must agree with "eightbore" on the issue of the narrow ribe Lightning Trap versus a Broadway Trap with wide parallel rib.
I once owned a 60's vintage Broadway Trap that was virtually new but never liked it. Bulky wide forend, square knob pistol grip, etc...poor handling characteristics. By comparison, a narrow rib Lightning Trap, especially one with 32" barrels, has a lively dynamic feel that is completely different.
Bottom Line: If it's a Broadway then the $2,500 price is too high for me and may exceed fair market value anyway. Check it out carefully.
Eightbore,
Yes it 's a B'way and Schwing's book does say '61 for the intro. Interesting, Schwing's book and Browning.com estimated dates of mfr are not in sync, '62 and '61 respectively for this gun.

And thanks for the straight opinions on pricing gents, I appreciate it.
If it's a Lightning, does that mean the stock and forend are trimmer? Any lighter barrels than the standard Broadway?
Paid $1650 for NIB Lightning trap this year at Gun Show.
Personally I and many others wouldn't give you anything for a Broadway rib, its an idea that just didn't either work or was was so cosmetically ugly that no one wants them. The 32" barrels are unique though. A call to Glen Jensen, Browning Historian with serial number will yield some information if Browning imported the gun, if Browning did not import the gun, he will have no record.
If you can stand the gun cosmetically and plan to use it, $2500 may be OK but if you want to purchase for value, no.-Dick
Originally Posted By: Yeti
Sharps,
That's about how I see it too. I'm just in the final stage of my standard GewehrkaufVerrücktheit (gun purchase psychodrama?) and I prefer a sanity check with you guys rather than with my wife. I already know her answer - "if it's really going to make you happy go ahead".

I don't know if it is a good deal or not but you certainly got a "good deal" on the home front!

Best,
Milt
32" barrels are not unique on the Broadway, just one catalogue choice. Utah has one of the really great guns by Browning, a 32" prewar. My prewar 32" Midas Trap is a real treat to shoot but has a single trigger. Just this year, I found the gun I have been looking for for years, a first year Grade 1 Trap, 30" step rib, double single triggers, in high condition. I've passed up some dogs, but this one is really nice, original, except for a slightly shaved comb. The serial number is 1253, one of the first ones made. The double single trigger is a real hoot to shoot. I believe FN probably made some standard rib 32" guns in the postwar period, but they were not catalogued by Browning USA and not normally imported here. Never say never with Browning or FN, a friend has a long tang round knob A-1 Grade European version in small gauge three barrel set persuasion with the slim tapered forends. It is all original, shipped to a UK distributor for delivery to Jamaica.
Chuck H.
I am not an expert on "Supers", but the Lightning Trap with 32" tubes and narrow rib should have a slimmer forend, feel lighter (and probably does weigh less) and have much better handling than the clunky Broadway model. I'll never own another Broadway at any price.
The circa 1931 model that Utah mentions above sounds great to me, though I am not a fan of the double trigger set up. Never the less, give a pre-war superposed and I'll be a happy camper.
I believe Broadways were Lightning Models, just had wide ribs. Catalogs didn't refer to them as Lightning Broadways, but I think Broadways have receivers marked "Lightning". I don't have one to examine, unfortunately. All Trap Models had big forends, even in the long tang round knob postwar era. They may have been a little smaller than the later models, but even the early postwar Traps had a larger forend than field and skeet models. They were actually pretty graceful looking in contrast to late skeet and trap model forends.
Bill,
I've seen in hand, Broadways marked Lightning on the reciever and some that were not. I just don't recall specific features. I've also seen several narrow ribbed Lightnings in 32" trap configs but don't know the yr of prod but guess they were 60-70s guns.
Bruce Buck loves his Broadways; go figure. Lightning should be 6 to 10 oz lighter in wgt cf. to standard. Citori GTI had a wide rib reminiscent of the Broadway rib. It never bothered me a bit. A useful skeet club. I like my grade I Lightning Trap (with Briley thinwalls and all it's bluing even on the edges) for which I gave the grand sum of 9C. OK, some el Greco sort shaved the comb on this one also.

jack
I recently sold a mint 30" early Broadway in a Hartman case for a rediculously low price to a good shooting buddy. He passed away, young, about six months into the deal. I would like to have it back, but it is so hard to do that sort of thing. I hope no one has trouble giving my wife big checks after I'm gone.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com