doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bouvier 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 12:30 AM
Anyone know where 2 1/2 in 12G snap caps are sold?

Thanks

Al
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 12:44 AM
Al,
Any snap caps will do!!!! No difference !!
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: Two Triggers Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 12:44 AM
Al: I've never had 12 ga. snap caps that didn't fit in a 2.5-in. gun. I don't think you need worry about it. TT
Posted By: CParker Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 01:09 AM
Beretta makes some short ones for 35 bucks. They are very nice heavy caps.

http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemMainSu...00162:008000236

Good for any chamber length
Posted By: Bouvier Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 02:22 AM
That's odd ..... I just had a 2 3/4 cap get hung up in a 2 9/16 chamber .....

Al
Posted By: David Williamson Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 03:17 AM
I think that is odd because a 2 3/4" shell that isn't fired is at least 1/4" shorter, and most snap caps are undersized.
Posted By: Bouvier Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 03:43 AM
These brass snap caps measure 2 3/4 ...... looking closely .... they may be hand made
Posted By: rabbit Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 10:19 AM
Activa all-plastic hull w/ BIC mech. pencil eraser adhered in primer well. Cut off red hull for 12 ga. to any length you want; also makes em look less like live shells. Look good with "screwturners" from Sears.

jack
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 10:31 AM
Gee, I prefer my caps to be only slightly heavier then an empty hull. My Euro-made nickel plated brass ones are a "gem". Those inexpensive plastic ones Made in Italy and sold by several outfits (like Beretta, Traditions, Pachmayr,....) also work fine for me.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 10:35 AM
I've had a set of the plastic ones that I threw away. They kept riding over the extractor.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 11:05 AM
Ejecting unduly heavy snap caps will put extra strain on the extractor/ejector.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 11:09 AM
There might be something to that, RM, although I'd think the unduly heavy ones would have to be heavier than a loaded shell, at least as far as the extractors go--because the extractors are built to lift even unfired shells far enough so they can be easily removed.
Posted By: JM Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 11:39 AM
Merkle snap caps are short if size matters.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 11:55 AM
LB - both the extractor arm itself and the ejector hammers will get undue strain if the snap caps are heavier than a fired hull. I can't say if the design of ejectors anticipated this or not. I can say that a mechanism that encounters a higher than design load will have a higher than design stress applied.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 11:58 AM
They are made for Merkel. You can actually order some really short ones with your name on them. They are advertised in Upland Journal, SSM,.....
It's just like the ammo. You know, Westley Richards ammo is not actually made by them only loaded with their name on them.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 12:26 PM
RM;
Don't really want to get in the middle here, but are you saying anytime one loads a double, both shells "Should" be fired before removing & one should "Never" extract an unfired round?
I was under the impression this was why ejectors are made "Selective", other wise could just always eject both hulls & the mechanism could be much simplified.
There are many situations in the field where it becomes desirable to unload a gun without firing it & I personally have always done so without concern.
I do agree though, that for an ejector snap caps should be light if they are to be ejected, but then that would normally re-cock the gun so nothing would be gained.
I haven't really given this a lot of thought as only have a couple of guns on which I cannot just let the hammers down on closing the gun.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 12:33 PM
You can do whatever pleases you. That's why they have dts and selective auto ejectors. Just don't leave Al caps in chambers for long time, or you are likely to get frosty residue in them. Provided the chamber has thin layer of grease one can leave plastic ones in there for very long time.
Posted By: Steve Lawson Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 12:47 PM
You can also get the "wooly" ones that have a short cap attached to the wool bore mop.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 12:54 PM
2p - No, I'm saying that ejecting a heavy snap cap will put a lot of extra stress on the extractor/ejector arm. There is a pretty significant stress area between the stem (long arm of the "L") and the side that engages the shell rim (short arm of the "L"). When the hull/snap cap is ejected, the force is manifested in bending at this location. The more cycles of ejecting the more likely the head is to break off the stem. The more severe the bending (heavier the load) the fewer cycles to breaking. Extraction of a stuck case would be similar - bending at the juncture of the "L" legs.

Ejection of fired hulls and normal extraction should be OK for many, many cycles.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 01:02 PM
I think those "mops" are the stupidest idea I have seen in snap caps! Another one is those this dessicant built in, not sure I want substance that absorbs moisture adjacent to chamber wall.
Posted By: Bouvier Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/08/07 05:45 PM
I just measured the plastic ones I have (and no longer use) and both brands are 2". The brass ones I picked up from a yard sale must have been made from a 12G brass shell, I guess ..... and measure 1/32 under 2 3/4". Were there brass shells this length or did someone make these up from scratch do you think?

Al
Posted By: rabbit Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/09/07 12:18 AM
Don doesn't miss much! 1oz reload in 12 ga. Remington greenie hull: 1.5 oz. Traditions brass snap cap (in which the piston fails to return after a few uses and has to be driven out and dressed to correct): 2.25 oz. Propelled by the steroid-boosted spring of a Southgate, they're moving fast enuf to make a dent in drywall. Activa homebrewed: no registered wgt. on either an oz. OR gram reading scale. No cost; no appreciable wgt.; less deformation of the pencil eraser than of the brass piston; no dessicant and no forcing cone tickler; and I don't use them anyway. Occasionally something which appears less complicated is less complicated.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: 2.5 inch snap caps - 08/09/07 01:56 AM
AL; I recal the old Alcan Co used to sell a 2 3/4" brass shell which took a regular 209 shotgun primer. These were designed for use in a 3" chamber. I have no idea now how they were headstamped or who else may have made similar, but yes they have been made.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com