doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rtw Browning Superposed Field Rib? - 04/19/24 01:24 PM
Anyone know when or if Browning dropped the field barrel rib and went to 100% vent ribs in their Superposed shotguns?

In looking at the ones for sale it seems like after the late 1950's that all of the shotguns have vent rib barrels.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? - 04/19/24 02:52 PM
Not sure what a "field barrel rib" is that you mention. Are you talking about a solid rib?
JR
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? - 04/19/24 04:12 PM
By field rib I expect you are talking about solid rib. Those did end in the 50's. I have a soft spot for Browning with two triggers and solid ribs. Those have all been made in the early 1950's or older, like pre WWII. Many were the single-double trigger configurations which were converted to standard double triggers by Brownings. Never figure out if they just did not have parts to repair them as a single-double or never got many of them operating properly and just automatically converted any returned for service.
Posted By: rtw Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? - 04/19/24 05:59 PM
" Are you talking about a solid rib?"
JR

Yes.

Do you perhaps know when Browning raised the stock? I know that the stocks are higher in Superposed's in the early 60's.

Was there by chance a timeframe in which they built Superposed's with higher stocks and solid ribs??? If so, what date or serial number range would that be?

Thank you,

The higher stocked guns would fit me much better and I'd ideally like one with a solid rib.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? - 04/19/24 07:52 PM
I've owned probably 10-12 solid rib Superposeds, both 12 and 20 gauge, and all of them were Grade 1 field guns. They were usually 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 14 1/4 to a Browning buttplate, with a few being 2 3/8 at the heel. Maybe one had 2 1/4 d@h. They ranged from early '50's to early '60's production. It's pretty rare to find one from that time period with less drop than I mention.
JR
Posted By: eightbore Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? - 04/20/24 02:12 PM
In earlier times, the solid rib was not as disrespected by trapshooters as it is today. It is possible that a stock with less drop than field dimension could have been a trap gun. A stock with a 14 3/8" or more would prove it to be a trap stock. Trap Superposed guns were made with buttplates rather than recoil pads in the early days, all the way into the fifties.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? - 04/20/24 11:23 PM
My 1959 Browning catalog and price list show the solid rib still being offered on standard weight Grade 1 12- and 20-gauges. The next Browning catalog and price list I have is 1966 and no solid ribs.
Posted By: rtw Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? - 04/21/24 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Researcher
My 1959 Browning catalog and price list show the solid rib still being offered on standard weight Grade 1 12- and 20-gauges. The next Browning catalog and price list I have is 1966 and no solid ribs.

Does it state anything about solid ribs being available on Lightenings?

According to Ned Schwing's book on "The Browning Superposed", 1996, page 241, the stock dimensions for the 20 ga were changed in 1960 to D@C = 1 1/2", D@H =2 3/8" from D@C=1 5/8", D@H 2 1/2". The LOP stayed the same at 14 1/4". The post 1960 stock dimensions are much more workable for me than the earlier dimensions with more drop.

Ideally, I'd like to find an all original 1960-1965 Grade I vintage RKLT 20ga Lightening with 28" M/F choked barrels and a solid rib. I am not at all sure it was ever available in that specific configuration. It seems like they may have all been made with vent ribs???
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com