doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jimmy W OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/05/24 09:20 PM
A good place to hunt? https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Hunt
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/05/24 10:11 PM
And------ https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/wolf
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/05/24 10:40 PM
Yes Jimmy WI is a good to great place to hunt, and like most places better if you're a resident! I don't go there as I am much more familiar with MN. There are many parallels though. Grouse, deer, waterfowl turkeys etc. Very good trout fishing and lots of it. I have done some of that. I don't know how much public access they have, I would think a lot. I encourage everyone to go to WI, please!

Chief
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 12:55 AM
With your self proclaimed aversion to cold temps, you should try Bong Air Base rec area. They probably still release pheasants in the morning, and you can lock arms with fellow chicagoans for the afternoon shoot, all within a chip shot of downtown Milwaukee. On the other hand, the farther north and west you go, probably the better the hunting, but fair warning, you'll need a 4wd vehicle that burns petroleum based fuel in fairly large amounts. Get in shape.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 12:27 PM
I lived in Wisc many years ago. Great Nat resources. I will say at the time it was deer tick central and having a friend that got Lymes that didn't get diagnosed properly soon enough, it is nothing to mess with
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 02:46 PM
I heard that last fall the ticks were really bad. I didn't take me dog out because of it.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 03:43 PM
The wolf population is exploding That's bad for deer and grouse dogs The state approved a limited season to keep them in check but people like jimmy protested and it was stopped There is a limited amount of moose and they won't be long The state also restocked some elk which have been doing alright but soon they will turn out to be just dinner for the wolves.

They restocked turkeys a few years ago and they have exploded Places i used to hunt grouse or pheasants have been taken over by turkeys
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by ksauers1
The wolf population is exploding That's bad for deer and grouse dogs The state approved a limited season to keep them in check but people like jimmy protested and it was stopped There is a limited amount of moose and they won't be long The state also restocked some elk which have been doing alright but soon they will turn out to be just dinner for the wolves.

They restocked turkeys a few years ago and they have exploded Places i used to hunt grouse or pheasants have been taken over by turkeys

This lass was on my property yesterday. I still have deer, turkeys, grouse, grouse dogs, and more too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

This lass was on my property yesterday. I still have deer, turkeys, grouse, grouse dogs, and more too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What is that on the ground next to that wolf?
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
....What is that on the ground next to that wolf?
Too funny Jimmy, that's what's commonly known as baiting. Of course, it'll be called something else, because most university trained phds know wildlife always thrives when there's an artificial food source.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by craigd
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
....What is that on the ground next to that wolf?
Too funny Jimmy, that's what's commonly known as baiting. Of course, it'll be called something else, because most university trained phds know wildlife always thrives when there's an artificial food source.

Guess again? ) 0 for 1. Take another swing.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 05:36 PM
Wolves in Iowa?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 05:38 PM
Wolves in Iowa?

Actually, yes. There were three killed last year. But I'm not just Iowan.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 05:39 PM
Where in Iowa?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 05:42 PM
Where in Iowa?

I don't recall the details, but you can google them I think. One is being mounted down in Chariton County, for the DNR I believe. Two were shot (poached), one hit by car.

The photo is not from Iowa.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 05:57 PM
I seriously thought it was a beehive or something. Or the lid for a sistern? I didn't know. Oh well.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 06:11 PM
....This lass was on my property yesterday. I still have deer, turkeys, grouse, grouse dogs, and more too....

Just kidding prof., neat little visitor. Where's the rest of them, got pushed out of the pack? I like the anecdotal evidence though, the stuff of epic grants, huh.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Interesting topic........ - 04/06/24 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by craigd
....This lass was on my property yesterday. I still have deer, turkeys, grouse, grouse dogs, and more too....

Just kidding prof., neat little visitor. Where's the rest of them, got pushed out of the pack? I like the anecdotal evidence though, the stuff of epic grants, huh.

No grants. Sorry, but if you want to donate, feel free to send cash.

Rest of the pack, I do not know. But we saw pups last summer, and I have seen six sets of tracks in the snow crossing the back 40 in one direct which strongly suggests the pack is largish.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com