doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sandlapper Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/21/24 03:06 PM
I thought I would ask all of you for a possible solution to my problem; I have several guns that already have recoil pads installed that are in great shape, but they tend to hang up on my shirt when mounting in the field. Does anyone know where and what material I could use to alleviate this problem and make the slide across my shirt a little easier? I have had some leather-faced pads in the past, but not sure where to obtain hard surfaced leather or how to attach it correctly. Thanks, Sandlapper
Posted By: eightbore Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/21/24 06:13 PM
Go to your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or thrift store and buy an old leather purse. It will give you leather for several pads. I also save my old leather wallets. Barges is what you use for glue. At least, that is what I'm told.
Posted By: Gunning Bird Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/21/24 06:19 PM
Kick Eez used to make some stuff called Slick Eez that would take care of the problem you describe. However, it appears Slick Eez is no longer available.

Some folks have had good results applying Armor All to their pads.

Cole's carries a replacement pad (Cervellati) that is not supposed to stick but that might not be very appealing unless you wanted to replace pads.
Posted By: eeb Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/21/24 07:39 PM
Are you sure your LOP is not too long?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/21/24 08:58 PM
Spray the top of the pad with dry silicone until it gets slippery enough. Done it many times.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/21/24 09:24 PM
I put a leather face on the pad on my quail/woodcock gun (a 20 Ga. SWE Fox) a couple years go. It is leather from the coat my grandad wore when duck hunting in very cold weather. It reminds me of him every time I use it, and does the job you're needing perfectly. I love leather faced recoil pads.

SRH
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/21/24 09:34 PM
It doesn't matter what kind of pad you have on your gun. Or what kind of cover you have on your pad. When you mount your gun, don't slide it up so close to your body. Mount the gun a little bit more in a circular motion away from your body- that way it won't hang up on your clothing................Ol' Lefty
Posted By: eeb Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/22/24 11:29 AM
I’ve used a product sold by Amazon, leather tape, used to spot repair leather upholstery. I don’t know if it’s a bonded leather product or what, but it’s thin leather with an adhesive backing. Degrease your pad face and cut to size.
Posted By: mark Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/22/24 01:12 PM
I have to agree with Ol ‘ lefty.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/22/24 01:36 PM
I believe I still have the proper leather and the proper thickness to do that, a leather faced pads

John Boyd

Arrieta
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: Leather-faced recoil pads - 03/22/24 09:02 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for your tips and insight.I'll try the leather tape and see how it works. Regards, Sandlapper
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com