doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Joe Wood Uh, Oh, this ain’t good….Parker Repro - 12/07/23 03:17 PM
A friend of mine was hunting pheasants in the Dakotas this week and his Parker Reproduction fell apart! I have only seen this photo but looks to me like one heck of a poor job of soldering. I would have thought it would be brazed. And the locking lug isn’t even dovetailed into the barrels but more of a partial saddle jointing. What a piece of crap.

Suggestions for a qualified gunsmith to repair?

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: mc Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 03:23 PM
That is a common way of putting barrels together I had a Boswell come apart like that
Posted By: mc Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 03:24 PM
Clean it up and resolder it.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 03:38 PM
Should have been brazed.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 03:41 PM
Clean it up and "re-silver braze" it. You can see from the photo the original braze was not done well and the coverage was not complete.

This is a good point to inform the novice that the thinner the joint the stronger with brazing and soldering. For silver brazing a clearing of 2-3 thousands of an inch between the lump and the barrels prior to brazing is the goal.

In this particular barrel, notice that there is a pin that aligns/holds the lump in position, much attention needs to be focused upon this detail of alignment before brazing. The craftsman repairing this lump is advised to use a machinist scraper to clean the surfaces of all old braze.

A silver braze with a flow temp of about 1275 degrees F works well for this work.
Posted By: dogon Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 03:57 PM
This is the typical way all Parker barrel lugs are attached, not just Parker Reproductions. The pin you see is actually a screw which comes through the top short rib into the lug for securement during the brazing process of the lugs. Take a look at any Parker and you can see the outline of this screw on the short top rib which is matted over when the rib is matted.

This is one single failure, and it doesn't automatically mean that all Parker reproduction or original Parker barrels are a piece of crap! This is just one failure on one set of barrels, it's unfortunate, but these things can happen & I wish the owner the best for getting these repaired.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 04:24 PM
Dogon;

Thank you for explaining the screw/pin feature developed by Parker Bros. of holding the lump in place for brazing. I suspect the fitting of the screw/pin to the lump was faulty, not drawing the lump and barrel close together and thus the braze joint did not have the strength it should have had. Thank you also for upholding this ancient "dove tail" method of barrel making which has been used on millions of British shotgun barrels for a 150 years. They were first brazed together in coal-fired blacksmiths forges prior to modern gas torch systems. Even today these old barrels (think damascus pattern welded barrels and old steel barrels) are still being used in day to day shooting that had their lumps brazed to the barrels in a coal-fired forge over in the corner of the barrel shop.

Some gunmakers of today such as the Turks use a rolled pin to hold the barrel tubes securely to the mono-bloc prior to solf-soldering the barrel tubes to the mono-bloc. It seems to work OK. I also suspect that the Turks are using modern glues in lieu of solf-solder as well.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by bushveld
Dogon;
I also suspect that the Turks are using modern glues in lieu of solf-solder as well.
Would an industrial/aircraft-grade adhesive/bonding agent not work on this? Some of that stuff is incredibly strong. Experts on this can let us know.
JR
Posted By: bushveld Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Dogon;
I also suspect that the Turks are using modern glues in lieu of solf-solder as well.
Would an industrial/aircraft-grade adhesive/bonding agent not work on this? Some of that stuff is incredibly strong. Experts on this can let us know.
JR

John;

I am convinced that the similar adhesive that is being used to "glue" carbide tips to circular saw blades would work with flying colors.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 04:55 PM
Dogon;
JR

John;

I am convinced that the similar adhesive that is being used to "glue" carbide tips to circular saw blades would work with flying colors.

Makes me wonder if ribs and barrels could be mated the same way.
Posted By: AGS Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Dogon;
JR

John;

Makes me wonder if ribs and barrels could be mated the same way.

I saw several places selling vent ribs and bonded mounting pillars many years ago.
Posted By: mc Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 08:03 PM
Good luck if you have to repair a glued rib, loup
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/07/23 09:01 PM
Dogon;
JR

What exactly is this stuff, John? Sounds like it might could have applications on the farm here. The most amazing stuff I've run across is called Belzona. It's used in similar applications as J-B Weld or PC-7 epoxies, but is incredibly stronger.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Dogon;
JR

What exactly is this stuff, John? Sounds like it might could have applications on the farm here. The most amazing stuff I've run across is called Belzona. It's used in similar applications as J-B Weld or PC-7 epoxies, but is incredibly stronger.

Don't ask me, Stan. I just know this stuff exists. And if something over-the-counter is stronger than JB Weld, I want it.
JR
Posted By: skeettx Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 12:54 AM
https://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx

Belzona, Inc.
2000 N.W. 88th Court, Miami, Florida 33172
U.S.A.
Telephone: +1 (305) 594-4994

Maybe they will send you a small sample to test smile
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 01:01 AM
A good starter reference on adhesives:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bonding-and-assembly-us/structural-adhesives/

The 3M stuff is about the best.

You guys all act like you’ve never seen a gun in this condition before. I’m going to save this picture for when somebody is saying how wonderful their sleeved gun is.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Bluestem Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 01:28 AM
Solder and brazing have the advantage of being more easily repaired. Good luck if you are trying to repair a joint that has used a super adhesive or need to remove the residual "glue."
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by skeettx
https://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx

Belzona, Inc.
2000 N.W. 88th Court, Miami, Florida 33172
U.S.A.
Telephone: +1 (305) 594-4994

Maybe they will send you a small sample to test smile

I have a "source" for a little Belzona without ordering it retail, from a friend who is putting a nose cone on the lower unit of a 40 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke outboard for me with it. He has a "source", too. The stuff is outrageously expensive but, according to another friend who has used it also, worth every penny.

What Stephen said about the carbide tips being attached to saw blades with an adhesive has me still in awe. I had no idea.
Posted By: mc Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 12:46 PM
Hello Ted,are you saying sleeved guns have a similar problem of the lump falling off?
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 01:29 PM
I’ve used Belzona to repair leaking fuel tanks that couldn’t be taken out of service for traditional repairs. They used to provide sample packets for testing, but that has been a few years ago.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by mc
Hello Ted,are you saying sleeved guns have a similar problem of the lump falling off?

I’m saying I prefer my monoblocs to be just that. A single, integral, piece of steel.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: mc Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/08/23 10:07 PM
I don't think this is a design flaw but an execution fail hundreds of thousands of sxs have brazed lumps this one was done on a Monday with a hangover
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 04:37 AM
The Parker reproduction barrels are entirely brazed together, ribs, and all. I imagine the barrels sets were brazed in a controlled atmosphere furnace. I would guess this lump asy could be re-brazed, but would need fixturing. Not an easy task, for sure.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by mc
I don't think this is a design flaw but an execution fail hundreds of thousands of sxs have brazed lumps this one was done on a Monday with a hangover

Well, show me a photo of an integral monobloc that has failed. Then let’s talk design.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: mc Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 06:20 PM
We are talking about this parker fail.i did have a Boswell that the lump failed and I had a mono block I bought from a guy named Tom ondrus so I made sleeve tubes out of the Boswell barrels and made new barrels and fitted them so I know what you mean .it looks like a sleeved gun but is new barrels.. sorta
Posted By: Parabola Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 06:33 PM
Ted, it’s a given that a one piece monoblock is ultimately stronger (although I have seen some reports of tubes trying to go down range).

A sleeved gun, at least in the U.K. has to pass proof after being sleeved and it is practically unheard of for the lump to part company subsequently.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Parabola
Ted, it’s a given that a one piece monoblock is ultimately stronger (although I have seen some reports of tubes trying to go down range).

A sleeved gun, at least in the U.K. has to pass proof after being sleeved and it is practically unheard of for the lump to part company subsequently.

I’m all about givens.

Back when there existed a thriving market for new and used sporting guns in England, and Europe, something that does not exist today, the French proof houses rejected out of hand the notion of old guns being repaired with sleeving.

Why?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

I’m all about givens.

Back when there existed a thriving market for new and used sporting guns in England, and Europe, something that does not exist today, the French proof houses rejected out of hand the notion of old guns being repaired with sleeving.

Why?

Best,
Ted

So? They thought nothing of proofing guns that did not regulate. At all.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 08:56 PM

I’m all about givens.

Why?

Best,
Ted

Gunman kindly explained the likely cause of your regulation problem. But, just like when you blew up Springfield number 220892, you didn’t listen.

At all.

Feel free to detail for us which proof houses test regulation.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 09:00 PM

I’m all about givens.

Why?

Best,
Ted

Gunman kindly explained the likely cause of your regulation problem. But, just like when you blew up Springfield number 220892, you didn’t listen.

At all.

Feel free to detail for us which proof houses test regulation.

Best,
Ted

Wrong, as usual, Ted. They didn't regulate because they were poorly made. Simple as that. No other excuse works, but keep tryin'.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 09:25 PM
I’ll take the retired English gunmakers advice, rather than the retch from the idiot who blows up Springfields, thank you.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: mc Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/09/23 11:03 PM
That's cold Ted lol
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by mc
That's cold Ted lol

What's cold is Ted's empty larder. No luck filling it with imaginary wad-killed grouse shot with guns that won't shoot where they point.

But then again, I haven't blown up a Springfield in at least a week. Actually, I've never blown up a Springfield, but that's another detail Ted can't get right. Poor bastard.
Posted By: mc Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 12:28 AM
My brother killed a dove with a wad.craziestvtjing I have ever seen.didnt know someone else had done that
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by mc
My brother killed a dove with a wad.craziestvtjing I have ever seen.didnt know someone else had done that

He didn’t believe it when I said I did it when I was a kid. A few people have told me they have seen it. He still needs to get out more. My only point, from that discussion, was that grouse aren’t that hard to kill, something I stand by, obviously. They aren’t.

I’ve seen a few guns that for sure didn’t shoot where anybody looked. One was an A5 Light 12. One was a Red Label. One was a Gold Label. I also know of a Winchester model 100 in .308/with a flaw in the rifling that won’t hit the target, much less the bull at 100 yards. But, all these guns are exceptions, not the rule.

My Darnes shoot just fine, as do my other guns.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 02:14 AM
I’ve shot limits upon limits of chukars, Doves, sharptails, ruff grouse, ptarmigan, blue grouse, California quail, huns and bobwhites, pheasants, with my Darnes. None of them EVER had a regulation issue, and only 2 of them (my current Darne included) were built as southpaw guns. The only birds I haven’t shot a bunch of while using the Darnes has been waterfowl. Only because I’ve never taken a Darne waterfowling.
So, I’ll proclaim with the utmost confidence that BrentD always has been and always will be…..a weapons grade retard.

Dustin
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by mc
That's cold Ted lol

What's cold is Ted's empty larder. No luck filling it with imaginary wad-killed grouse shot with guns that won't shoot where they point.

But then again, I haven't blown up a Springfield in at least a week. Actually, I've never blown up a Springfield, but that's another detail Ted can't get right. Poor bastard.

Funny, says right here you blew a Springfield up:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=446119&page=1

Puts you in rare company.

Not good company, however.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
I’ve shot limits upon limits of chukars, Doves, sharptails, ruff grouse, ptarmigan, blue grouse, California quail, huns and bobwhites, pheasants, with my Darnes. None of them EVER had a regulation issue, and only 2 of them (my current Darne included) were built as southpaw guns. The only birds I haven’t shot a bunch of while using the Darnes has been waterfowl. Only because I’ve never taken a Darne waterfowling.
So, I’ll proclaim with the utmost confidence that BrentD always has been and always will be…..a weapons grade retard.

Dustin

Carry on...

Your Darnes may have shot well, but the one I bought - it used to be Ted's - did not overlap patterns from the two barrels, regardless of the ammo used. Ted knows this. I sent him the pattern photos years ago.

The retard is the guy that has a gun that he claims he not to know is unregulated.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by mc
That's cold Ted lol

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=446119&page=1

Best,
Ted

Interesting. I don't see the word springfield anywhere in that post. Do you?

Why don't you come grouse hunting with me this week? Let's see what you can do. My guess is you can't keep up with a 100 yrs old dog.
Posted By: keith Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by mc
That's cold Ted lol

Best,
Ted

Why don't you come grouse hunting with me this week? Let's see what you can do. My guess is you can't keep up with a 100 yrs old dog.

I've read quite a few articles and book chapters that discussed the heat treatment problems with some "Low Number Springfield Model of 1903 Rifles" Among the best of the books was William S. Brophy's "The Springfield 1903 Rifles". All of them go on to detail the serial number range in which the problematic rifles were found, both by Springfield Arsenal and Rock Island Arsenal. Later on, 03-A3 Springfields were also built by Smith Corona and Remington.

The CMP or Civilian Marksmanship Program has been responsible for selling military surplus rifles for many decades. On their Information Page is found a WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” M1903 SPRINGFIELDS--- which also goes on to inform the serial number range of the potentially defective rifles by the two arsenals that built them.

The Nutty Professor sold most of the remains of his blown up rifle (except for the fragments which presumably are still lodged in his head). He blamed everything except his own carelessness for the blow-up.

It seems to me that the time to be a stickler for little details would be during reloading, when you are dropping an overload of 5744 powder into a case. It all makes me wonder if that Darne that is alleged to be poorly regulated was simply patterned with carelessly reloaded ammo.

Now he's telling Ted he has a 100 year old dog. Anything to side-step and change the subject. That's pretty amazing when the Guiness Book of Records is investigating the probable false claim of the oldest dog, which was said to have lived to age 31. I wonder how old the Nutty Professor is in Libtard years???
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Uh, Oh, this ain’t good…. - 12/10/23 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by mc
That's cold Ted lol

Best,
Ted

The word Springfield is mentioned several times in that post. Not sure what else a “low number 1903” could refer to, either.

I explained to you several times that I owned that R10 for about a month, and did not fire it as it was severely cast for a right handed shooter. At the time, I was severely left handed. Never shot it. Knew it was going down the road, because, I still buy and sell a Darne here and there. I sold the gun to someone else. At some point, it ended up at an auction house. I have no idea what happened to it between me and you, or how many people owned it between me and you. Don’t know if the chokes were opened, don’t know if the bores were tampered with, nothing.

Quit acting like I was supposed to warranty a gun you bought somewhere else.

I’m pretty particular about who I hunt with. So, sorry, no can do. The boy and I went out today, final day of muzzle loading deer season, and hunted the area at Sherburn Federal WMA that is closed to deer hunting. No birds, but a great day with my kid.

He kept up just fine to myself and the 70 year old dog.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com