doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Owenjj3 J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/13/23 07:38 PM
I am looking forward to reading through this book this weekend and learning a little bit more about this enigmatic maker. I’m interested to see what new information Dr. Harlow can bring to our collective knowledge.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Copy 87/250
Posted By: lagopus Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/14/23 01:17 PM
I have one on order through my local bookshop. Better give them a call and see if it's in. I understand that it is a rather limited edition. Lagopus.....
Posted By: PALUNC Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/14/23 02:08 PM
Where are you ordering from?
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/14/23 03:32 PM
Email Jo Dovey at Merlin Unwin. Jodovey@merlinunwin.co.uk OR Tel: 01584 877456

I must say that glancing over the book, it is one of the best gun books on a manufacturer that I have seen. Donald Dallas is great, but Dr. Harlow is next level. The data and statistics present from the available archives is tremendous. Want to know how many 20 bore o/u's sold in 1923? How about a breakdown by country and vendor about where those guns went? How about profiles on the original buyers from the VL&D records? All of these questions are answered. Did you know that Woodward made a 24 bore O/U on a scaled action??? There is an appendix copy of the purchase agreement whereby Purdey acquired Woodward. Fascinating. I can't wait to read it cover to cover.
Posted By: MattH Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/14/23 04:39 PM
Gunnerman books has some.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/14/23 08:02 PM
Thanks to Matt, mine is on the way.
Posted By: Parabola Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/15/23 08:00 AM
It contains interesting information about Purdey drawing on Edwinson Green’s design as the basis for their first Over and Under.

They bought a second hand Green O&U number 6896 from Vaughan’s to study, and later re-sold it.

The impression is that they made no direct contact with Green about their project.
Posted By: lagopus Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/15/23 03:11 PM
Thanks for whetting my appetite. Just contacted the bookshop and they say it won't be in until the 29th. Sept. Lagopus.....
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/16/23 03:21 PM
I'm anxious to get it.

I've seen the 24g Woodward OU...

OWD
Posted By: eightbore Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/16/23 03:52 PM
I am hoping for some information on the Woodward single trap, a highlight of my trap gun collection.
Posted By: old colonel Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/17/23 08:25 PM
Have finished reading my copy, much good information, weighted toward the Over and Under.

I wish there could have been more discussion of their SXS.

Overall a good book.
Posted By: eightbore Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/20/23 02:52 PM
If the author ignores the side by side and the single trap gun, my copy will be for sale at my cost, rarity be darned.
Posted By: eightbore Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/21/23 10:21 AM
I received my book yesterday and was pleased to find my single trap listed by serial number and owners by name. Sorry, but I will be adding the book to my collection. One thing I learned from the book is that there were only ten single traps made. I knew they were rare, but not that rare.
Posted By: lagopus Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/21/23 12:58 PM
Darn it! Still waiting for mine! Lagopus.....
Posted By: eightbore Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/21/23 07:39 PM
From whom?
Posted By: Salopian Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/23/23 10:50 AM
Lagopus,
I have sent you a private message.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/23/23 01:33 PM
Not sure UK deliveries have gone out yet. I have a copy on order (from the publishers), but was told it would be despatched towards the end of September.
Posted By: Salopian Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/24/23 07:54 AM
Copies are available immediately from Merlin Unwin the publishers, Just phone them , pay by card and it will be despatched.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/24/23 01:15 PM
It was someone at Merlin Unwin who told me (on the phone last week when I ordered and paid by card) that it would be despatched towards the end of September. Maybe they are awaiting a further delivery?
Posted By: Salopian Re: J. Woodward & Sons Book - 09/29/23 09:43 AM
I went to Merlin Unwin Publishers in Ludlow last week and they have books in stock, I couldn't have copy number 1 so I had number 250 the last of the first run of books. It is a very well researched book . I would not say it is a readers book , more of a collector or historians read I believe.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com