38, but I’d flip it
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 09:41 AM
I thought #19 looked GREAT!
Posted By: tut Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by gunmaker
38, but I’d flip it
Bingo.
Posted By: Jusanothajoe Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 11:06 AM
Really don't see a bad one in the bunch, but #33 does it for me.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 11:09 AM
I know you hate me, but that’s beside the point. I see you are looking at Cecil’s high end stuff in the $2000-$1750 range per blank. Cecil has some pretty nice English in the $500-$750 range but you have to sort through a lot of photos to find a suitable one. I found some with straight in the grip grain that turned out very nice $750. One blank I put on an SC3 grade Perazzi sporting as a custom fitted stock. It’s pretty darned nice. Good luck.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 11:37 AM
I'll vote for 1-H (the first one), but 38 and 33 are just fine too
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 11:42 AM
33, 38, 19, a lot of good choices to pick from. They all look good with some having a bit extra. Do consider that they might look different when turned but by being equal figure on both sides they should still be a fine stock. As I said, any one sided blank runs the risk of becoming very plain when turned, it might get better or it could turn into a plain grade with neither color or figure. Two sided blanks almost never do. I think Cecil did find you several great blanks to pick from. At this level it is personal taste.
Posted By: craigd Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 12:09 PM
Luv you Bob, not really, will fight your anti America agendas forever, but those are some much nicer blanks. Even if yours isn't in this batch, things are looking up.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

I’ve bought a couple very similar to 1-H , including one from Cecil. They turned out spectacularly. One is on a Belgian 28 custom that belongs to my gunsmith friend Chris Dawe. The other is on a Sauer sidelock that Chris and CJO are in the middle of bringing back to life.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 04:37 PM
It was hard for me to move past 1H but after looking at them all - 1H.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

Originally Posted by canvasback
I’ve bought a couple very similar to 1-H , including one from Cecil. They turned out spectacularly. One is on a Belgian 28 custom that belongs to my gunsmith friend Chris Dawe. The other is on a Sauer sidelock that Chris and CJO are in the middle of bringing back to life.

Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
It was hard for me to move past 1H but after looking at them all - 1H.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 05:17 PM
At first I thought Mr. Cash was kidding about the original blanks he selected. Maybe just some fishing for some goofy comments from the normal yahoos. I see some better blanks , but many have one side figure, or one side with receiver grain correct, but the other side not so good. I agree with gunmaker that #38 could be good if the layout was flip flopped .
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 06:31 PM
What about a forend?
JR
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 07:21 PM
Cecil can include a matching forend blank. He had a room full of them last time I was there. If you change wood types you need to do both I would rather do three butt stocks than one with a forend. Often it takes me far longer to do the forend. Worse is the wood to metal fit is very long and right under eye. Nothing gets missed or hidden on a bad forend job.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 08:46 PM
For those of you who like # 38 but indicate you would "flip" the layout would you please indicate what you expect to gain by this.

#38 looks OK to me but not exactly perfect in the head & wrist & I don't see "flipping" the layout improves it much. I'm just trying to learn something here by people more expert than me about picking stock blanks.

Personally, I would pick # 33 from the pictures shown.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 09:33 PM
I wouldn’t use 38, period.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: AGS Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 11:10 PM
I just saw this thread on the Parker site. I think there is a problem in that two number 38's are shown. I think the lower one may have been labelled 33 in the other site posting. The upper one is the one I would choose. The second 38 has some problems, I think, in the wrist area and I wouldn't trust it. Number 19 looks really nice, but there is a not just above the wrist that may affect it internally.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Superposed Restock - 04/20/23 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by AGS
I just saw this thread on the Parker site. I think there is a problem in that two number 38's are shown. I think the lower one may have been labelled 33 in the other site posting. The upper one is the one I would choose. The second 38 has some problems, I think, in the wrist area and I wouldn't trust it. Number 19 looks really nice, but there is a not just above the wrist that may affect it internally.

I just noticed that. Yes, the second 38 looks to be asking for trouble in the wrist area. I prefer the very first blank pictured, with the straight, contrasty grain through the wrist, and the figure in the butt.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Superposed Restock - 04/21/23 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by AGS

I just noticed that. Yes, the second 38 looks to be asking for trouble in the wrist area. I prefer the very first blank pictured, with the straight, contrasty grain through the wrist, and the figure in the butt.

Best,
Ted
38/1500 has the wrist issues & I agree w/ Ted. 38/1750 isn't perfect but I've seen worse used & I was assuming this was the blank people were suggesting "flipping" the layout
Posted By: tut Re: Superposed Restock - 04/21/23 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Brittany Man
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by AGS

Best,
Ted
38/1500 has the wrist issues & I agree w/ Ted. 38/1750 isn't perfect but I've seen worse used & I was assuming this was the blank people were suggesting "flipping" the layout
The 1750 38 flipped is pretty darn good. The other 38 has bad layout imo.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: Superposed Restock - 04/21/23 03:27 PM
Some gorgeous wood to choose from. Not an easy decision, for sure.
I can't wait to see the completed gun. Do you have a stocker picked out?
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Superposed Restock - 04/22/23 04:32 AM
Originally Posted by Calgary Bill
Art's is doing the work.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Superposed Restock - 04/23/23 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
Love most of you,
Hate some of you,
Thank all of you.

I still luv yOu bOb.
Posted By: keith Re: Superposed Restock - 04/24/23 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
At first I thought Mr. Cash was kidding about the original blanks he selected. Maybe just some fishing for some goofy comments from the normal yahoos. I see some better blanks , but many have one side figure, or one side with receiver grain correct, but the other side not so good. I agree with gunmaker that #38 could be good if the layout was flip flopped .

Daryl, If you seriously think Bob was kidding about the original blanks he selected, then you haven't been paying attention to what drives him, aside from the hope to turn a nice profit on this Superposed when he sells it. This is someone who called me everything but a white English gentleman when I informed him a couple years ago that the finished stock on another Browning was not the same piece of wood that he had showed us in blank form. But he wasn't at all nasty to fellow Lib rocky mtn bill when Billy informed him that the finished stock was not only not from the same tree, but it wasn't even the same species of walnut. The knowledge some here have about double shotguns is literally what little they purchase when they pay their gunsmith.

Love most of you,
Hate some of you,
Thank all of you.

A thousand thank you's to Ky Jon.
Ted said it best, feathers belong on chickens
Cecil has the goods.

English Walnut, who knew?

I have no motivation to help someone choosing a stock blank when he joined a few of his Liberal pals in a doxxing attack on me here, and has called me a Nazi literally dozens of times here because I frequented the shop of a local gunsmith who was an armorer in the German Army during WWII, when I was in my teens. I'd have to guess that I'm one of those he hates. I'd also guess that it somehow makes sense to censor and moderate me, but not him. Every business has a target audience or market, and the Liberal left seems to be favored here. That isn't working out well at the moment for Anheuser Busch though. Time will tell.

I am surprised that of all these people making recommendations as to which blank to choose, nobody asked if the stock was to be a straight grip or pistol grip configuration. Only Ted and Doug Mann were concerned about grain flow through the grip and runout at the head. Those things would make a difference to me, more than how flashy the figure is in the butt.
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: Superposed Restock - 04/25/23 12:33 AM
Doug Mann is not Brittany Man…
Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Superposed Restock - 04/25/23 02:52 AM
Bob, if you have a stocker picked out get his input about your last two or three choices. The stocker too often get stuck trying to make the customers bad wood choice work, when if asked earlier the stocker can point out things that might become a problem and suggest things to get a better outcome. I also would request more photos of the final two blank choices. I want top and bottom as well as both ends. That will tell you how centered the blank is and if there is a problem with run out with the grain running across the blank or along the long axis. Cecil will know what you need and can get them to you. You do know you just scratched the very tip[ of his wood pile? And he loves to talk wood.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: Superposed Restock - 04/25/23 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Calgary Bill
Art's is doing the work.

I suspected it would be Art's, but thought I would ask anyway. What turn around time do you expect?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com