doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mike Harrell Strange things we hide away. - 12/16/22 05:03 AM
I was digging through the gunroom today and ran across these. About 100 new never fired primed 2 1/2" 24 gauge cases. I bought them the last time I was stationed in England. I've never owned a 24 bore.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: mc Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/16/22 10:30 PM
Well get busy and buy one
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/16/22 11:26 PM
Trade them for something you can use?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/21/22 12:16 AM
Do you know anyone who has a 577 Snider?
These can be used in one.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/21/22 02:02 PM
I have often found rifle ammo both factory and reloaded, safely stored away, decades after I sold the rifle. As a rule I will give away factory ammo, with the rifle, if to a private buyer, but not any reloaded ammo. Sometimes you find stuff you forgot you ever had, sometimes it is stuff you expected to use in another rifle, which so far you have not gotten around to buying. And sometimes it stuff given to me by friends, getting out of shooting and figuring I might need it later. It’s like Christmas. I’m told Alzheimer’s is like Christmas every day but not so much in a good way.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/21/22 03:03 PM
I’m looking at a box of primed .17 Bee brass that I’ve never had a rifle or dies for.??????
If anyone needs them….. they’re yours. 😀
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/21/22 03:09 PM
I'll go out on a limb here and guess that there aren't a lot of 24 bore shotguns in Alaska. I have them advertised locally but no one has contacted me.
Posted By: 1straightshot Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/31/22 02:17 PM
My problem.... I would have bought them to. For no other reason than they are cool old paper 24 ga..
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/31/22 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by 1straightshot
My problem.... I would have bought them to. For no other reason than they are cool old paper 24 ga..

If that is actually a problem, a lot of people right here share it.

I don’t think it is that big a problem.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Hal Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/31/22 07:28 PM
I've often wondered if the problem is generic. Does the natural urge to store things such as food, arms, or utensils turn us into packrats that store more than we can use, and eventually into collectors of useless items for personal pleasure? I've got a house, barn, and two old granaries full of stuff that could satisfy all three of these theories.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Strange things we hide away. - 12/31/22 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Hal
I've often wondered if the problem is generic. Does the natural urge to store things such as food, arms, or utensils turn us into packrats that store more than we can use, and eventually into collectors of useless items for personal pleasure? I've got a house, barn, and two old granaries full of stuff that could satisfy all three of these theories.

Right there with you, brother.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: liverwort Re: Strange things we hide away. - 01/02/23 08:09 PM
Some of mine that I'll call "having useless value". An 1800s 40 caliber muzzleloading rifle in terrible condition, and a Martini action.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Strange things we hide away. - 01/02/23 08:20 PM
I call mine "one of these days projects".
Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Strange things we hide away. - 01/03/23 06:37 PM
Unknown percussion sidelock action that's been a paperweight on my desk forever...Geo
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Strange things we hide away. - 01/03/23 08:13 PM
For me it's a small poplar tree that was at the cover where I saw my first grouse. I took it years ago and put it behind the small couch in my gun room. Sitting in the room often reminds me why I'm "out there".
Karl
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Strange things we hide away. - 01/03/23 08:47 PM
Mr. Graebner, I love your gun room arrangement...Geo
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Strange things we hide away. - 01/03/23 08:58 PM
Geo.
Many thanks. It's where I go after cleaning birds/showering to clean the gun as well as a couple "fingers" of Famous Grouse. It also comes in handy when the sister-in-law and other in-laws come to haunt! Simply close the door, light the pipe and pour the the drink over ice!
Best wishes for the coming season,
Karl
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com