doublegunshop.com - home
Here is a neat 19th Century Color Lithograph of a Hunting Scene Advertising Eley’s Sporting Ammunition that I picked up at the last Holts auction.

It is one of the few Posters like this I have come across that prominently mentions pinfire cartridges (my specialty).

I wrote a little article on it and talk about some interesting aspects of their catalog listing that is printed on the back.

https://aaronnewcomer.com/a-19th-ce...e-advertising-eleys-sporting-ammunition/

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It’s deja vu all over again!
Thanks for that reference! I bought a copy. (Edit: Looks like this Eley one is slightly different though past the first glance. I wonder if he created it just for the poster many years later?)

Apparently there is a whole website dedicated to this artist! They describe him as
arguably Britain’s pre-eminent animal artist of the 19th Century, whose career spanned more than six decades.

https://harrisonweir.com/
Very nice, thanks!

Cheers,
Jani
I had the same initial response, "deja vu". But, as I looked more, the differences between the two litho's, are substantial. The poses of the gunners (and dogs), the landscape in the background, and the distinction (or lack) between foreground, middle ground, and background (note the transition from corp to heath in the B&W). The understanding and presentation of the dogs' anatomy is also quite different.
Aaron, thanks for your Eley pictures and the address to your fine article. I wondered about the foliage the dogs were hunting in in each illustration. Unlike anything I hunt in. I have heard of heather, so could that be it ?
Heather is a whipsy type grass like fescue. The images look like they're hunting in a cabbage patch.
The Crop is called generically Roots. Typically Turnips, Mangelwurzels, Sugar Beets, Rutabagas or occasionally Parsnips. The cycle went like this, allow the cattle to graze the tops off before frost kill Then lift them, cart them back to the home farm, store them, often in mounds with a covering of earth to prevent frost damage [clamping]. Dig out what you needed and feed to the yarded cattle as needed. Part of Turnip Townshends four crop rotation.
I love the look of wide eyed terror in the Eley Dogs eyes, must have realized they'd pointed a cobra!
I think that in the earlier thread the consensus was that it was most likely to be Turnips.
You can see the vegetables in the very bottom of the scene below the partridges. They seem pretty big so I would go with rutabagas over the other options presented.
AaronN,
They remind me very much of hunting Hungarian Partridges in the sugar beets before hare and pheasant season opened in Germany. Good memories, wish I could do it again. Your mention of rutabagas reminded me of a story my old scout master told of the time his squad was trapped behind the German lines in the battle of the bulge. They were out of food and came upon a pile of what they thought was rutabagas. He said they couldn't boil them long enough to eat them. After living there, I decided it must have been a pile of "feed beets"(Futter Rueben).
Mike
Same stuff?
Thomas Blinks "In The Field Shooting With English Setters"

Sunflowers and sugar beet flowers

'Summer Woodcock...AB Frost...

https://live.copleyart.com/lots/vie...frost-1851-1928-set-of-shooting-pictures
The picture reminds me of when I was in the service stationed in Germany 1967. I was fortunate enough to meet a German on post who was a fireman, got to be friends with him and found out he liked to hunt also. He invited me to come on a hunt on his father's property and we hunted on large fields of sugar beets. We were hunting Hungarian Partridge and it wasn't easy walking because the turnips were large and stepping on them your foot slipped off. Fun hunting, still brings back memories now of the different hunts I was invited to.
David, In the last half of 1967 I was in Germany briefly between tours in Vietnam. I was down near the Austrian border at Bad Tolz - Lenggries with the 10th Special Forces Group Where were you?
Also, I got in that other drawing and here is a high-res photo of it if anyone would like it:

HQ link: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KmDkDgz/0/0f89dd31/O/i-KmDkDgz.jpg

Edit: And a colorized version

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com