doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Herrett Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 01:43 PM
Hello, new user here. After 50 Years of shooting 1100s, I decided to give an SxS a chance as they had always appealed to me. After some research, I purchased a Miroku 500 with 26" tubes - IC and Mod chokes. Here is the link from my purchase several months ago with good pictures.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101050683

Now he question, after countless hours of research, I cannot find any references to a Miroku 500 with a single trigger and color case hardening. Is anyone on the forum aware of this 500 variation?

Looking forward to learning from the forum and giving this SxS a good outing this fall.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Herrett
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 01:56 PM
I’ve seen them before. The beaver tail is a bit of a tip it was for the US market, along with the single trigger.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Herrett Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 02:13 PM
Not familiar with the reference "beaver tail a bit of a tip" Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Herrett
Posted By: oskar Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 02:20 PM
The fat wide forend and single trigger is pretty much an indication/tip that it was intend for the US market as it is about the only place that style of forend and trigger were/are popular. Some were sold through the PX's on military bases so the shotgun could have come from overseas but still intended for the US market.
Posted By: Herrett Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 02:26 PM
Thanks....that doesn't sound too good. Did I buy an albatross? I have no knowledge regarding doubles so maybe I jumped on this one too quick. But with that being said, it seems to handle great in the living room. Ha

Herrett
Posted By: Doug Fore Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 02:44 PM
Herrett,

Welcome to Double Gun, nice shotgun. My first decent double was a Miroku (Westernfield -Monky Wards) 20 gauge that balanced and handled like a 28. Of course it had the correct amount of triggers.. grin
I traded it in on some stupid stuff only a 20 something kid would do, wish I had it back. If you haven't found this info yet it might be helpful... https://www.chuckhawks.com/charles_daly_500_shotguns.htm

The pistol grip and wide forearm make for a nice handling gun for a transition from your 1100. I preferred that combo for a while, especially on rabbits, ducks, etc. The straight "english" grip and slim forearm take a bit of adjustment for some, but for me tend to work best for intuitive shooting. Great place to start with the 500, ENJOY!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Herrett
Thanks....that doesn't sound too good. Did I buy an albatross?

Herrett

No. Excellent guns.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Herrett Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 03:46 PM
All,

Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to using it in the field. Will be quite a change from the 1100.

Herrett
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 04:33 PM
Nice guns. I have a Miroku with the double triggers and splinter forearm. Very nicely balanced and nice handling.
Posted By: tut Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 04:47 PM
I think its the same as a Charles Daly model 500 but without the double triggers. I'm thinking this one was made for the Japanese or European market and as such its marked Miroku. PS. I'm used to only seeing these with double triggers.
Posted By: Herrett Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 05:13 PM
Yes, in scouring the internet, I only see the double trigger versions. I do see a reference to empire grade with single triggers but this gun does not have the engraving you would associate with an Empire model.

Herrett
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Unusual SxS - 09/11/20 10:07 PM
I would be willing to bet a serviceman who had 24 months or so to kill in Japan could have made, and got, a request from the gun club or the PX for something from a Japanese gunmaker you would never see cataloged, here.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Replacement Re: Unusual SxS - 09/12/20 12:10 AM
I have a Daly-marked 500 in 12ga and a Miroku-marked 500 in 20ga, and there are differences between the two guns, especially re the frame shape where it meets the buttstock. I do not own but have seen a number of variations in frame color and shape, forearm shape, engraving, etc. among 500s. We know that Miroku made an excellent single trigger for the BSS, both selective and non-selective, so if yours is the BSS-type trigger it will be good. There are some common and consistent configurations in the 500, but outliers keep popping up. Looks like you found one. If you like a 12 with 26" barrels, that looks like a nice one for $700.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Unusual SxS - 09/12/20 12:14 AM
Quote:
I do see a reference to empire grade with single triggers but this gun does not have the engraving you would associate with an Empire model.

Pretty sure the Empire grade was a Beretta sold under the Daly brand, similar to the GR3 (I think).
Posted By: oskar Re: Unusual SxS - 09/12/20 01:12 PM
When I was in Taiwan the Embassy Gun Shop there would get you Just about anything you wanted. There were any number of Miroku and Nikko shotguns on the rack, mostly O/U's. I looked seriously at ordering a Darne there but on my limited income bought a Nikko trap gun and Win 101 Skeet guns, 12ga 26" and a 20ga with 28 and 410 barrels. The 12's were $154 and $158 and the three barrel set was $200(I bought it from another shooter when he rotated out and sold it when I rotated out). I still have the 12's.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com