doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 01:23 AM
Hi all, what are your thoughts on this maker? "Spanish Best" gives them good reviews. What do you think (looking at sidelock models)?

Thanks!!!

Greg
Posted By: rabbit Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 02:25 AM
Weiland devotes a chapter to V.S. which indicates that at the very least it shows up on the historical radar both here and in Spain--something which you've no doubt noticed does not apply to Pedro Gorosabel. Another "gun of Kings". Wider brand recognition should lead to a bit better "brand value" or whatever Rocketman calls it in his tier system of appraisal. Probably the best thing about defunct Spanish makers is that you can't buy a new one so the gun won't depreciate by half it's retail price out the door. If "Jay Cee" should happen to show up, I'm sure he'll have something to say on the subject. As is the case with Gorosabel, there have been occasions when several were available on Thad Scott's internet site.

jack
Posted By: Don Hardin Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 02:53 AM
I think a V.S. above grade 7 or 8 Is in the same value as the Garbis& Arrietas if condition is equal.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 03:05 AM
I have seen couple 12br SLEs with good engraving coverage and arcaded fences for $2000+/-200. One simply can't go wrong for this kind of coinage.
PS. I also examined couple rifles one in .458 and second was .470, both were gorgeous. Unlike newly mass produced Merkels or Chapius ones (you know, boxes with 2 barrels sticking out) these had game scene ENGRAVING (100% coverage) and beautifully engine tuned hidden surfaces.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 03:38 AM
Keep an eye out for Stoeger imported guns made by V.S.

Most will not have anything on the gun except the gunmakers mark on the watertable to show that V.S. made it.

I picked up a nice SLnE for $400. With opened chokes it is now my steel shot waterfowler.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 03:48 AM
I think this maker produced a wide range of quality, from fairly low to very high.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 04:27 AM
I doubt you will find a 'fairly low' V.S. Mid to high is the norm.
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 04:52 AM
I have a 1954 Stoeger 20 bore Zephyr 4E marked on the watertable V.S with the running rabbit and it is a fine gun. Simple basic engraving, and I'll put its fitting and workmanship agianst anything less than 3K in today's market. Ejectors are precise, trigger pulls nice, checkering beats anything today at many hundreds more. Weiland is to be commended for his observations on these very nice SLE guns. I paid $775 from Crosnoe who didn't know the data on these guns. I think I got a bargain. Chops
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/28/07 02:02 PM
My buddy has one of the Stoeger-imported boxlock 12's (Woodland or something like that?) and likes it a lot.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 06/29/07 12:56 PM
About the only "knock" on the Stoeger-imported Sarasquetas, which are pretty good guns--running from basic to fairly fancy--is that they were made for what was considered to be the American taste in shotguns back then. So you'll find pistol grips and pretty generous beavertails on them, which in turn means that they're heavier and have different dynamics than British game guns (or Spanish copies thereof).
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 07/04/07 01:18 AM
Larry has that detail nailed.

My gun has a pretty tight pistol grip and beavertail. Not my normal favorite but the weight helps out with recoil of heavy loads and the BTFE and pistol grip help me grip well with gloves.

It works really well as a waterfowl gun.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 07/04/07 09:03 AM
You're not restricted to the guns of Sarasqueta's indenture to the Stoeger ideal of stock configuration. Plenty around which follow the English game gun model.

jack
Posted By: JohnM Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 07/05/07 06:03 PM
I have seen a very few really cheap VS's, compared to the majority of their output on US gunshow tables. Like all Spanish guns, or guns in general, it a case by case evalution. Of the three of four I've owned, including a Stoger boxlock, they have all been trouble free. But after a decade of BBS'ing, we all should know that there is no mechanical object that is trouble free forever. Time and use happen.

One of the long ago correspondents here had a nice 11E that had a tumbler go south. So he sold it. He lamented to me sometime after, that "If I knew then, what I know now, I would have sent into my doublegun smith for an overhaul" That was when Spanish Best was a new glimmer on the horizon: the DG boom, speculation, and hoarding had yet to really get underway in the lesser known niches..

However, the relative value sold and not repair'd remains about the same today. Folks own what they can afford, but for those who fancy the Basques, an upper grade VS ain't no slouch.
Posted By: slate Re: Victor Sarasqueta - Thoughts - 07/05/07 08:03 PM
A 12E came up for sale recently - from a oollectors estate sale - gun was in near perfect condition. Built in the last year of production which I believe was 1978. Anyway it had just about everything a guy could ask for including a makers case and accrutements. The one thing was that the wood was nice but not fantastic. Sold in the end for $2500 and I believe the purchaser received good value for $s. Nice guns for the $s.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com