doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 01:02 PM
I do look forwards to Holts Auctions one of which is going on today. Sad to say I’ve been out bid on four lots so far but still have several to go. Prices seem fairly solid. Only one item I was interested in went for the two times high estimate. Most sales I get one which goes for three times estimate. Hope others here have had better luck.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 03:37 PM
I am very interested in learning what Holt's Lot number 1801 hammer price brings. This lot is a Boss 1887 patent EJECTOR sidelever hammer gun with 31 inch damascus barrels. Holt's estimate of the price range is UKPounds 15,000-20,000. Hammer ejector guns by the London best makers of this period (and any period) are very rare and this one is one of the rarest of the rare and will be an indicator of if there remains collectors in the world who appreciate such workmanship and art.

Also Lot 1250--a trio of Purdey (Sinclair engraved) two 20 bore shotguns (O/U and SLE) and one double rifle, all in new condition and maybe unfired, estimated to bring UKPounds 150,000-180,000. For the person who can afford these and if indeed if they sell for that price, they are a bargain even with the premium to be added. Another indicator of what the market is now.
Posted By: JBG Re: Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 05:54 PM
I was going to bid on the Westley LH boxlock but got the condition report in time to cancel my bid. Didn’t see anything else I was interested in.
Posted By: SKB Re: Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 06:19 PM
those condition reports pay off.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 07:25 PM
Zero for eight today. Three were gun cases. I was close twice. One lot I think my bid was matched by an earlier bid. It was a very late bid and I could not follow live. That or the bid order with a live floor bid got me. Oh well, a couple grand saved. And now I don’t have to swear not to use this gun to make a nuclear device out of it. Those hammer gun a bombs are the best.

Condition reports work well unless you are interested in multiple things. Then they add up. Still fewer WTF surprises that way.
Posted By: keith Re: Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
those condition reports pay off.

Does the free advertising you do here on a continual basis also pay off Stevie? Do you give Dave a $12.00 cut for each job and importing of guns you do as a result of your free advertising?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 07:53 PM
Lots 1250 and 1801 unsold. I see this a lot with the top dollar stuff. And I hate the artist premium I’m seeing on more of these auctions. That’s going to make life even more expensive for some lucky bidder.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Lots 1250 and 1801 unsold. I see this a lot with the top dollar stuff. And I hate the artist premium I’m seeing on more of these auctions. That’s going to make life even more expensive for some lucky bidder.

At first thought this tells me that the value of best guns is still in turmoil and likely to further fall.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Holts auction today. - 09/17/19 11:41 PM
Any word on how much the Boss hammer gun brought?
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Holts auction today. - 09/18/19 12:25 AM
The Boss hammer ejector was unsold vs. estimate of £15,000-20,000. However, a careful reading of the description confirmed that Boss could not vouch for the authenticity of the ejectors as they were not specified on the order, although the time period was correct. Also, the ledgers specified 29” barrels and the gun measures 31”. I would love to hear someone who handled the gun to weigh in. The gun has been for sale on Jonathan Lawrence’s website for over a year at £23,000. The high expectations were set at Bonhams in 2014 when a verified Boss hammer ejector brought £27,500 Inc commission.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Holts auction today. - 09/18/19 01:20 AM
Owenjj3;

What price have Purdey Island Lock hammer ejectors brought at a non auction sale in the last decade?

I was expecting the Boss to bring at least the low estimate even with the concerns about its origins. There must be more to this story.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Holts auction today. - 09/18/19 01:12 PM
Bushveld, I suppose the uncertain provenance was enough to chill the bidding, but there could be more to the story. Sorry, I do not follow Purdey hammer ejectors as closely, however a quick search turned up a refurbished Purdey hammer ejector sold at Julia’s in 2008 for $20,125.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Holts auction today. - 09/19/19 03:57 PM
Uncertain provenance is trumped by the fact that these are old guns with uncertain condition issues. This is the reason why Steve Barnett is asking over 42 large for a bar in iron Purdey pigeon gun, a price that would buy two quantity of bar in wood or any earlier variation of a Purdey or Boss pigeon gun. Some people who buy such guns intend to shoot them in volume or with 1 1/4 ounce shells that the bar in iron guns were proofed at. There is a definite limit what we will pay for a gun that requires care in loading and volume of use. Comments are welcome from collectors who shoot their guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com