doublegunshop.com - home
OK I've got old powder cans, old shotshell boxes, old Hoppe's Supplies etc etc scattered all over the place.
I need some of your ideas on what works for you to display such items. Pics would be helpful .
Thank you,
Dale
Posted By: moses Re: OT Need Ideas for display of Memorbilia - 08/18/19 07:55 AM
Behind glass so they don't collect dust.
My Mrs. allows no other way.

O.M
We have a tall set of bookshelves that I keep some things like that on in one room. It contains pictures of my Grandad, myself as a boy, the two fo us together, and my grandsons. Amongst those pics are memorabilia of parts of our outdoor past. Grandad's Pflueger Supreme reel, duck call and his huge old railroad padlock and key are there. There are a few unique prizes from shoots I've won, like a scrimshawed powder horn from the Charlestowne Longrifles club one year when they hosted the S.C. State M/L Championship. There are a couple full boxes of magnum paper duck loads by Grandad's duck call......... and other stuff. From time to time an item may be added. My wife has no issue with dusting it all. She does it once a week, along with every other "knick-knack" of hers in the house.

Most of my shell boxes and other junk are in another location, lined up on shelves. You just can't have too many shelves. If I could start over I'd just build an entire separate building adjacent to the house for all the reloading stuff, pictures, prints, collections, gun cleaning stuff, shells, trophies, etc.

SRH
It depends who the display is for, its purpose. I wouldn't have shelves for books or bookcases in main living areas; too ostentatious for me. Hey, look what an erudite guy I am! I have separate rooms for libraries and guns, handloading and fishing gear, family photos, citations and plaques All spaces for the family. A look from time to time is enough.
I have always liked the glass top coffee tables with the display box under the glass.

I’ve seen them that used lobster traps on each end to support the box with the glass top, and all fishing and lobstering stuff was inside the diaramas.

I’ve seen them with waterfowl and upland themes, f&s magazine, pheasant feathers,compasses duck call, cartridges. what not.I’ve seen them with Native American artifacts.

Stuff looks great in a china cabinet if you can get rid of all the china. That actually happens sometimes, usually around the age of forty...Geo

I'm a master of clutter...

Posted By: SXS 40 Re: OT Need Ideas for display of Memorbilia - 08/18/19 11:29 PM

Recoil Bob, I think I have surpassed you in the clutter dept. I'm only allowed to do this in one room of the house. This is my happy place. Can you tell my bird dog is a setter?

forensic osteology jobs
upload your image and share
Posted By: GLS Re: OT Need Ideas for display of Memorbilia - 08/19/19 12:46 AM
sxs40, nice tube radios. Are they up and running? If so, did you replace the old capacitors? Gil
Maybe, maybe not....that was only one half of one wall in my office grin ....is that a Gibson L-4?
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: OT Need Ideas for display of Memorbilia - 08/19/19 03:06 AM
All the radios have been restored and function. The guitar is a Washburn.
As wonderful as the pictured rooms are, you guys have no idea what bird dog and double gun clutter can be. I've been doing this for more than 60 years and am still adding to it. At this point, I'm wondering how to thin it down.
One thing is for sure, building another barn with the second floor specifically for sporting stuff Didn’t turn out to be the answer.

I think the true answer, as much as I hate to say so, is you just have to prioritize the stuff, and then start sending it down the road to somebody else. It’s just too much to deal with at lifes end.
Amen, brother. However, I would like it to go to someone who will appreciate it.
Amen, me too.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT Need Ideas for display of Memorbilia - 08/19/19 06:39 PM
We all have too much stuff. If I was smart I’d get rid of 90% of what a have and
Concentrate on only the best stuff instead of all the stuff I have. But I just can’t stop doing half a dozen different things at once.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com