doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HighWall Stock bending - 08/16/19 10:03 PM
I have a shotgun with too much drop at comb and need it bent. I'm in N. Illinois. Who can bend this stock and make it fit me better?
Posted By: tut Re: Stock bending - 08/16/19 11:59 PM
I'd check with FieldSport in Traverse City. They will probably recommend Dale Witman.

https://www.facebook.com/FIELDSPORTLTD/
Posted By: susjwp Re: Stock bending - 08/17/19 11:31 AM
Mike Orlen in MA. His price list is on the Shotgun World site, under gunsmithing.

good luck
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Stock bending - 08/17/19 09:40 PM
Get a couple of heat lamps and a old sock soaked in cooking oil you can tie on the wrist. Make sure all screws are tight and let the stock hang over the edge of a table. Put a bag or two of shot on the barrels and one or sometimes two on the butt of the gun. Measure to the ground and when it gets to where you want it turn off the lamps. If it don't want to bend you're only out a little bit. You won't crack em this way. Good luck. Paul
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Stock bending - 08/18/19 01:24 PM
Bending up is more problematic than bending to change the cast. Safari Outfitters in my area (NYS) has someone who skillfully uses the heat and oil method and has corrected the cast for me on several guns and raised the comb a bit on a couple of guns, although that is trickier.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Stock bending - 08/18/19 10:33 PM
What type of gun is it? SxS? O/U? Through bolt?
Posted By: HighWall Re: Stock bending - 08/21/19 05:05 PM
It is a Greener SxS
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Stock bending - 08/21/19 07:20 PM
No through bolt. I use two heat lamps and tin fixtures with clamps bought from Home Depot and a old sock dipped in cooking oil wrapped around the wrist. A old shoe lace holds it in place. After making sure all screws are tight the gun is laid on a bench with the stock over the side. Put a couple of bags of shot, or something heavy, and do the same on the end of the stock. Measure down to the floor, and every half hour check it. When it bends to what you want, or a bit more to guard against spring back, turn off the lights. Wait a bit, say a hour and remove the weight on the stock and see if it stays. You can't hurt anything this way. It doesn't cost much. Now if you were bending down you'd have to make sure the grain of the wood didn't run out along the top of the wrist. Same with cast. But even with them you're not forcing anything to happen. It will only bend if it wants to. I've cracked a couple using a fixture with a threaded rod and nut. I'd just turn a nut and it would move the stock the way I wanted with a nylon strap around the stock. I went to this way and never cracked another one.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Stock bending - 08/21/19 07:45 PM
Paul, I like your built in method of moderation in bending. I know I was pushing my first one too hard at the beginning because I did not realize how soft and flexible it would get. I got away with it but your way is safer, especially the first time.

I like to wait overnight for the stock to set before removing the force.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com