doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gunsaholic Barrels "ring" after choke modification - 04/17/19 08:39 PM
I was browsing the net for the fun of it looking at double barrels. I came across one that Cabelas has for sale. In the description it said "barrels don't ring likely due to chokes being opened". I'm curious, should opening up the chokes have any bearing on barrels ringing afterward, assuming they rang before? I thought barrels not ringing would most likely be due to a loose rib.
Sounds very lame to me. I have never seen this happen from rechoking or bore polishing. I would avoid it.
Posted By: oskar Re: Barrels "ring" after choke modification - 04/17/19 08:59 PM
Sounds like someone got the barrels to hot rechoking if they rung before.
There was probably issue to begin with
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Barrels "ring" after choke modification - 04/18/19 05:21 AM
Do not see how opening up the chokes loosened up the ribs, which is why barrels wont ring.
Consider the source - Cabela's. I saw an ad from them today for a "push feed controlled round Model 70". Firearms experts they are, for sure.

Barrels don't ring - check the solder joints. Likely oxidized.
Originally Posted By: Chukarman
Consider the source - Cabela's.

That's exactly what I am thinking.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Barrels "ring" after choke modification - 04/18/19 07:33 PM
I can tell you I just opened the chokes in both barrels of Simson from Full+ to Mod/IC. They rang like church bells before I started and they ring like church bells after I finished..... Don
Posted By: FelixD Re: Barrels "ring" after choke modification - 04/18/19 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
Originally Posted By: Chukarman
Consider the source - Cabela's.

That's exactly what I am thinking.

These are the same experts who told me last week all 12 gauge inside diameters were the same because, “it’s a rule”.
Posted By: gunman Re: Barrels "ring" after choke modification - 04/19/19 01:04 PM
If they dont ring then there is reason and its not having the chokes bored .
Could be several things but need to be examined carefully .
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com