doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Calgary Bill WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/12/19 08:27 PM
There is a very nice Westley Richards Ovundo 12 gauge offered by Morphy's in their upcoming auction. It is complete with hand detachable (drop) locks---not all Ovundos have drop locks.
I have a pair of spare locks for an Ovundo---I purchased them thinking they would complement my drop lock side by side---sadly, that was not the case.
So, if anyone is thinking about investing in this fine piece, I have a spare set of locks that need a new home.
Bill
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/13/19 03:15 PM
Wow. A noble gesture, for sure, but, an extremely limited group that could actually put it to use.
Not many of those out there.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/14/19 09:05 PM
Years ago in my early days of gun collecting I stumbled upon a couple of Westley Richards that were pretty nice pieces. That lead to a long search for a drop lock which are uncommon in Canada. But I kept searching and eventually a good one came my way and I still treasure it. My search did uncover an Ovundo but it was not a drop lock and I passed---in hind sight, that was a wise choice on my part as the dealer wanted well above market value---in the pre internet days, fair market value wasn't easily established.
Guess, I'm off topic here but I do like my Westley Richard's guns and I'm hoping my spare locks can find the right home.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/20/19 03:04 AM
Guys,
What are the chances that Bills spare DL locks would just ''drop''into the gun for sale ?...as they were kind of hand built for a different, though same model gun. I would imagine things might not line up exactly right, though perhaps close...what do you think?
cheers
franc
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/20/19 12:37 PM
There are actually three interesting O/U's in this auction, the ovundo being one. The Boss Pigeon and late H&H pre-war on the Green patent are also very interesting. I wonder if these 3 guns came out of the same collection. Assembling those 3 with the droplock ovundo variant would have been a nice bit of collecting.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/22/19 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
There are actually three interesting O/U's in this auction, the ovundo being one. The Boss Pigeon and late H&H pre-war on the Green patent are also very interesting. I wonder if these 3 guns came out of the same collection. Assembling those 3 with the droplock ovundo variant would have been a nice bit of collecting.

The Boss pigeon is a real gem especially with its provenance. Will be interesting to see what it sells for---ditto for the other two. Guess I should buy some lottery tickets real soon.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/22/19 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
Guys,
What are the chances that Bills spare DL locks would just ''drop''into the gun for sale ?...as they were kind of hand built for a different, though same model gun. I would imagine things might not line up exactly right, though perhaps close...what do you think?
cheers
franc

I suspect they would require expert fitting which shouldn't be overly difficult for an expert smith.
Westley Richards have expressed interest in the locks---we'll see what happens.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/22/19 05:58 PM
I assume the extra lock are serial numbered. What are the numbers ?
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/22/19 07:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
I assume the extra lock are serial numbered. What are the numbers ?

They are numbered 17751 and are contained in a very nice leather case.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/25/19 05:47 PM
The Ovundo at Morphy's auction went for $21k vs estimate of $5-$8k.
The Boss over under pigeon gun went for $43k vs estimate of $15-$25k.
In many cases the guns fetched more than the estimate---perhaps this is a strong showing by collectors or low estimates by the auction company.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/25/19 11:53 PM
I think auction houses list estimates low to gin up interest. It seems like there are bargains everywhere for the bidding. A few times two bidders just say the Hell with the estimate, I want it and will by God own it. Holt's has a lot of low estimates I think. That or I fall in love with the same gun everyone else does. Like the 16 which had an estimate of 3-5K which I dropped out on at 14K and went for 20K. And that was in pounds not dollars. Estimates are to be take with a large grain of salt.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/26/19 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I think auction houses list estimates low to gin up interest. It seems like there are bargains everywhere for the bidding. A few times two bidders just say the Hell with the estimate, I want it and will by God own it. Holt's has a lot of low estimates I think. That or I fall in love with the same gun everyone else does. Like the 16 which had an estimate of 3-5K which I dropped out on at 14K and went for 20K. And that was in pounds not dollars. Estimates are to be take with a large grain of salt.

HOW TRUE!!!
Posted By: gunman Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/27/19 12:02 PM
Before you buy it ask yourself , do I know a really good gunsmith ?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/27/19 01:31 PM
Originally Posted By: gunman
Before you buy it ask yourself , do I know a really good gunsmith ?

And, is that really good gunsmith interested in ever having anything to do with this particular gun I’m looking at?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/28/19 06:03 PM
On the Boss, I spoke to a Morphy’s rep at the Southern who told me that he was on the phone taking the bids of the eventual winner of the Boss pigeon. The buyer was going to purchase it no matter what. Must be nice to have those resources.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS OVUNDO - 04/28/19 06:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
On the Boss, I spoke to a Morphy’s rep at the Southern who told me that he was on the phone taking the bids of the eventual winner of the Boss pigeon. The buyer was going to purchase it no matter what. Must be nice to have those resources.

The buyer had good taste as well. A man who knows what he wants.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com