doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MooseGoosers Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 08:37 PM
I post the following here because I think you guys will give an honest intelligent answer... I spotted a Charles Daly Miroku Model 500 Sxs today locally.. It is a 12 ga, 30" tubes, 3" chambers, choked full and fuller.. Barrels ring like a wind chime off the action. 1 barrel has a small dent that I think needs pushed out.. There is a VERY slight wiggle in the action with the forearm off, VERY slight.. I am being really picky.. Butt stock has a few dings, but not bad.. checkering,and blueing good.. They asked 450.00 for it..

I am feeling a bit uneasy this morning because I walked away.. what do you guys think..?

I do reload, so I would try spreader wads and ammo before I had anything done to chokes, but I bet I would need them opened up a bit..for my use..

Thank you all in advance... I lurk here often..mostly read seldom post.. smile
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 08:53 PM
MG,

Was it an English stock or pistol grip? Seems like a decent deal to me if it was not excessively heavy and fit you well...
Posted By: MooseGoosers Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 09:25 PM
pistol grip.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 10:03 PM
I'm not sure the Dalys came in 12ga 3". Never seen one anyway...Geo
Posted By: MooseGoosers Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 10:07 PM
Marked on water table as 75 mm along with choke designation of Full, full.. What they call their "magnum' model.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 10:09 PM
I was wrong. All mine have 26" or 28" barrels and they;re all 2 3/4" chambered. The 30" barrel magnum model in 12ga is 3" chambered.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/charles_daly_500_shotguns.htm

...Geo
Posted By: MooseGoosers Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 10:29 PM
Just getting ready to post that myself.. smile Its what made me look close.. Interesting gun to me.... I don't know for sure, but I bet I can get it to throw open patterns without doing anything to factory chokes... The thing that made me walk was the possible cost to have the chokes opend up,then adding on cost to raise dent,, I think I would have more in the gun than it is worth... But,, I is old,, and prolly anything I purchase now,, isn't going to be sold to anyone.. smile at least by me.. smile I do shoot a heavy gun better..
Posted By: MooseGoosers Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 10:34 PM
Some have told me the 'dent" is a deal breaker.. can be raised,,but some don't trust the strength of barrel anymore.. I don't know.. Dent is about 14" from barrel face you can see the shadow looking down the otherwise bright shiny bore. Both bores are nice and shiny.. If after the dent was raised, so as to be functional, I wouldn't worry about a re blue if it left a mark.. Touch up with cold blue will be fine.. This would be a utility gun..
Posted By: cadet Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 10:51 PM
I think you zigged when you ought to have zagged...
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: cadet
I think you zigged when you ought to have zagged...

I agree. Easily worth that and more.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 11:06 PM
Raising a minor dent, that does not involve a crack, does not weaken the area any appreciable amount, and at 14" from the breech the pressures are going to be way, way down.

I've raised lots of them. Never had a problem. Ring bulges are a different animal.

SRH
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 11:10 PM
Mike Orlen could open both chokes for $120 less 20% if you are a Shotgun World member. The dent probably wouldn’t cost more than $50. Pretty cheap for quality work. The dent being 14” ahead of breech wouldn’t worry me at all unless it’s a horrible one.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/25/18 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Mike Orlen could open both chokes for $120 less 20% if you are a Shotgun World member. The dent probably wouldn’t cost more than $50. Pretty cheap for quality work. The dent being 14” ahead of breech wouldn’t worry me at all unless it’s a horrible one.

Mr. Orlen has had a few of my barrels for both choke opening and dent raising since August. I have yet to hear back from him, but I can let you know about his work when I receive the barrels back.
Posted By: builder Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/26/18 12:04 AM
Call him back and tell him to hold it for you.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/26/18 01:12 AM
30" Monkey Wards Miroku.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/26/18 01:55 AM
I know you guys get all excited about the big fowlers, but, you have described a gun that needs a dent removed, AND to be put back on the hook. Any wiggle with the front wood off and the action closed needs to be addressed sooner, not later. You can shim it with brass shim stock, and call it your duckboat gun, or you can spend the money to have a good ‘Smith put it right. But, you have to go in knowing what you are going to do, and how much it will cost, before you come to terms with the dealer.
I don’t have a good use for a gun like that, but, I’m over my project phase anyway, and would likely pass on that one. My opinion, and worth far more than double what you paid for it.
Good Luck.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/26/18 01:57 AM
The metal displaced by the dent and then restored to proper location is actually stronger than surrounding metal; relevant theory being work hardening. Small dent removal is just sorta part of gun maintenance.

DDA
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/26/18 02:28 AM
Go back. What can you find for 450 that is as good of a value? By it as a shooter. Dents are easy to raise. As long as there is no sharp crease in it that is kit a deal breaker. Ask for 25-50 off but don’t walk if you don’t get it.
Posted By: MooseGoosers Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/26/18 05:23 AM
Ted! smile

Those are the exact reasons I walked away yesterday.. I figgered,I would prolly have the chokes opened up,and dent removed. I figured 85.00 each barrel for choke reaming and 100.00 for dent removal.The wiggle is very very slight,and considering I is old,and my time on this great earth is getting to the point I have to save for the final plane ride, Id prolly live with it.. But,, with the other stuff. I would have close to 650.00 in it, and I have seen others in auctions that are supposedly 95% guns for that same price.. I think I am still gonna pass.. Thank you all for your imput. It truly is much apprciated..
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Tradin Post find.. - 11/27/18 01:39 AM
I don’t think it would be a huge challenge to find a generic, not highly collectible double, in better condition, not needing repairs, for the money you are looking to spend.
Shipping guns hither and yon is a huge PITA. Just get one that is sound to begin with.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com