doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 04:04 PM
Though I've hunted rails and I've hunted woodcock, I've never chased after cousin snipe. Yesterday, being off from work and dealing with a constant barrage of rain, my hunting partner and I decided we would walk the fringes of the duck swamps and bogs, as well as some flooded fields to see if we could put up any snipe. We did not raise a feather. Any tips for hunting snipe in the northern states?
Posted By: Mills Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 07:15 PM
I hunted them in the south and still do from time to time. Populations are way down where I am. Best advice is good luck finding huntable populations. When you find them, they are a lot of fun to hunt
Posted By: GLS Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 07:27 PM
They will occasionally show up in flooded pastures down here. Wet,shallow areas are what you need, the bigger the better. Gil
Posted By: Hal Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 07:49 PM
I've shot hundreds, mostly in the wet meadow zone of grazed wetlands. Few here now, as willows, hybrid cattail and reed canary grass have shaded the meadows out and glyphosate (Roundup) has killed the wet meadow plants around the edges of wetlands that still lie in cropland. Four of us shot 31 in one walk around a single bay of a grazed hardstem bulrush marsh when the limit was 8. Buddy Tom found the 32nd in his hunting coat about three weeks later!
Posted By: Mills Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 08:40 PM
Old rice fields and cow pastures - preferably rice fields that are cow pastures - are what they have historically liked down here. Even friends with perfect habitat report low populations, though
Posted By: builder Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 09:18 PM
Are snipes different than woodcock?
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 10:20 PM
Yes they're different birds (though they look similar) and I believe they have completely different diets and habitat.
Posted By: James Flynn Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 10:23 PM
Back in the 80's we hunted Snipe at Catahoula Lake in central La. and there were lots of them. It was a lot of fun. We just walked them up in the wet ground covered with cockle burrs.

We shot a lot of shells because we would shoot at some slower flying birds but found out they were actually mosquitoes.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 10:27 PM
"We shot a lot of shells because we would shoot at some slower flying birds but found out they were actually mosquitoes."

Now that is funny. I can believe it though.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 10:48 PM
Hunted a few, normally around shore line, or edges of pounds in middle of field
Posted By: Hal Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/16/18 11:43 PM
Look for hummocky ground indicative of grazed seepage areas. They make a beeeek sound when they get up and then go into a zigzag flight that makes for tricky shooting. I think they taste a lot like woodcock.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/17/18 12:13 AM
Are they usually found in groups (not physically together like quail but numerous birds in an area)?
Posted By: GLS Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/17/18 12:41 AM
Snipe are at least half the size of a female woodcock and have a grey/black coloration with a white belly. The tailfeathers have some brown near the tips. Woodcock are brownish with a buff/tan belly. No self respecting woodcock would be caught dead in snipe habitat and vice versa.

Posted By: builder Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/17/18 01:48 AM
Thank you GLS.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/17/18 01:52 AM
Gil, I have seen a few woodcock out in open, big, wet areas. But, have never seen a snipe in woodcock thickets.
SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/17/18 09:58 AM
Stan, at night woodcock will often move into and can be seen feeding along road shoulders and pastures. Their eyes will glow like rabbit eyes when hit by car lights.
Caleb, at about 7:30 and for the next couple of minutes, large flocks ("wisps") of snipe can be seen flying in and around some perfect habitat on the Georgia coast. A lot of yakking before then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hqMQvCoLsE

Surprised we haven't heard from Skip, snipehunter, who knows more about hunting snipe than anyone I know.

Gil
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/17/18 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Gil, I have seen a few woodcock out in open, big, wet areas. But, have never seen a snipe in woodcock thickets.
SRH

Stan, I shot one my dog pointed near a small pond in woods. I was expecting woodcock. As soon as I pulled the trigger, I said to myself: "Darn. That was the fastest woodcock I've ever seen!"

Used to hunt them in Iowa along with rail (mostly soras) before any upland seasons were open. (Iowa didn't have a dove season back then.) Snipe on the fringes of the marsh, frequently on mud flats. Rail in the marsh, requiring wading. Snipe are fast, bob and weave a lot. Sora rail fly low, slow, and drag their landing gear. A real contrast in shooting those two birds. Even more so than grouse and woodcock.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Any Snipe Hunters in the North? - 10/17/18 08:43 PM
Thanks Gil, I've seen that video and it looks like a ton of fun...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com