doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger RST Spreader - 06/11/18 11:05 PM
Does RST not load any shot sizes larger than 7.5 in their spreader loads? I would personally prefer a spreader load with 6's, but I haven't been able to find any on their site anytime I check. Anyone else?

I tried to find some on Polywad, but their website seems to be under construction or perhaps all business is only conducted over the phone?
Posted By: skeettx Re: RST Spreader - 06/11/18 11:19 PM
What gauge?

http://www.rstshells.com/store/c/39-Spreader-Loads.aspx

7 1/2, 8 or 9s

What do you wish to shoot with #6 spreaders??
Here are Polywad #6 spreaders, copy and paste the below link.

https://polywad.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fspred-r-original-12-ga-shells-275-6

Polywad products
https://polywad.com/shop?olsPage=products
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: RST Spreader - 06/11/18 11:26 PM
Mike,

I would like to use some of my vintage 12s (tight chokes) for grouse in early season leafy cover. I prefer a heavier shot size for penetration in leaves. Surely, I'm not alone in that.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: RST Spreader - 06/12/18 01:44 AM
You're not alone at all as I sometimes resort to #5's in the left barrel, with #7's in the right one.
Karl
Posted By: 2-piper Re: RST Spreader - 06/12/18 02:29 AM
Note that when you said "Smaller than 7½ size" Most All of us would think Smaller shot, not a smaller number. With shot just as in the gauge of the shotgun a smaller number = a larger size. Thus we do not think of a 12 gauge as being smaller than a 20 gauge, Nor a size 6 shot being smaller than a size 7½.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: RST Spreader - 06/12/18 08:50 AM
You're right Miller. That was my mistake. I meant larger shot - lower size number. I can see the confusion. I was "multitasking" at the time I wrote that.

So back to my question, is larger shot not an option?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: RST Spreader - 06/12/18 02:30 PM
The RST spreaders really spread. You might find #6 shot a little sparse at the target...Geo
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: RST Spreader - 06/12/18 03:37 PM
Thanks Geo. I guess that is definitely something to take into consideration, especially when dealing with one ounce or less of shot.

So the answer to the question is that RST does not and probably will not produce spreader loads in anything larger than 7.5?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: RST Spreader - 06/12/18 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
So the answer to the question is that RST does not and probably will not produce spreader loads in anything larger than 7.5?

If they do they don't advertise it...Geo
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: RST Spreader - 06/12/18 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
What gauge?

http://www.rstshells.com/store/c/39-Spreader-Loads.aspx

7 1/2, 8 or 9s

What do you wish to shoot with #6 spreaders??
Here are Polywad #6 spreaders, copy and paste the below link.

https://polywad.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fspred-r-original-12-ga-shells-275-6

Polywad products
https://polywad.com/shop?olsPage=products

Mike,

I just noticed your link to the Polywad spread-rs. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, the chambers on most of these guns are 2.5", so I guess I'll just have to stick with the 7.5 shot. I wasn't sure if RST made special runs with heavier shot in the fall hunting season. I figured the gentlemen on this forum would shoot me straight. Thanks everyone...
Posted By: builder Re: RST Spreader - 06/12/18 05:08 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to call them and find out?

Phone: 570-553-1651
Posted By: Niemann Re: RST Spreader - 06/16/18 04:01 PM
I have found Polywad spreaders superior to RSTs in my extensive pattern testing both in reloads and in factory shells.

The RST uses the 'X" wad insert for spreading and the Polywad their post design.

I think either company will make up any shot size you want if you give them enough notice and buy enough cases!
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: RST Spreader - 06/16/18 08:25 PM
Thanks a bunch Niemann!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RST Spreader - 06/17/18 12:13 AM
I've found that the Fiocchi Interceptor spreaders are terrific in my guns that will handle the pressures of most modern loads. They pattern beautifully. I've loaded spreaders, and shot RSTs and Polywads. Some are much better than others. While the RSTs work well, I won't be buying any more of them, as they fill the air with confetti at every shot. I know paper is biodegradable, but that is ridiculous.

SRH
Posted By: L. Brown Re: RST Spreader - 06/17/18 11:28 AM
Depends, I think, on how much spread you want from a spreader load. The Polywads definitely spread more than the RST's. Try some of each (or the Fiocchis recommended by Stan) and choose according to how they pattern for you and what you want.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: RST Spreader - 06/17/18 05:50 PM
Caveat: the Polywad spreaders are useless beyond 20 yards, they just spread too much...Geo
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: RST Spreader - 06/17/18 07:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I've found that the Fiocchi Interceptor spreaders are terrific in my guns that will handle the pressures of most modern loads. They pattern beautifully. I've loaded spreaders, and shot RSTs and Polywads. Some are much better than others. While the RSTs work well, I won't be buying any more of them, as they fill the air with confetti at every shot. I know paper is biodegradable, but that is ridiculous.

SRH

Stan:

Were you using the RST Lite Spreader or the new "Paper Lite" Spreader that I see listed?

I've been using the RST Lite Spreader (plastic hull) in 1 oz. ga 12 &
7/8 oz. 16 ga for as long as they have made them & I've never noted any confetti upon discharge & in both hunting & sporting clays situations no one else has ever commented on seeing it.

I would give the 12 ga 1 oz. Fiocchi spreaders a try if they didn't load them so hot. 1300 fps is faster than it needs to be & increases recoil, something flinchers like me don't need.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RST Spreader - 06/17/18 07:45 PM
BM, I'll go out to the shop and see if I have any of them left. Seems like there's a couple boxes out there, and I'll see which ones they are. They're 16 ga., I know that much. Bought them to shoot in my 32" barreled 16 LC Smith at the Fall Southern once. They were good enough that I qualified for, and competed on, the LC Smith team in the Smith/Parker challenge. I shot the whole round with nothing but spreaders as the gun is choked exceedingly tight on both barrels. They worked great on the targets we shot, but the ground was covered with confetti when I left.

It is my understanding that spreaders get an increased spread from higher velocity. Makes sense. The Interceptors not only are incredibly uniform in patterning, but they feel exactly like my 1150 fps 1 1/8 oz. competition loads. I like not being able to feel the difference when I trigger them.

Will report back on the RSTs in a while.

SRH
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: RST Spreader - 06/17/18 08:02 PM
My limited experience with RST Spreaders coincides with BM. Just the plastic X insert. I have not bought any in about two years so something might have changed.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: RST Spreader - 06/17/18 09:30 PM
I don't see the RST Spreader Lite Paper listed in any gauge other than 12.

The RST plastic hull 16 ga 7/8 oz. Spreader Lites I have on hand were purchased 4 or more years ago so something may have changed but I bought another flat of 12 ga Spreader Lite (plastic hull) from RST @ the North East SxS 10 days ago & shot a box of them at the shoot & no "confetti" with those.

Both RST & Poly Wad seem to get adequate dispersion w/ reasonable velocities & mild recoil (1150 fps for the 12 ga 1oz RST Spreader).

Fiocchi probably loads the 1 oz Spreader @ 1300 fps to assure reliable functioning in automatics.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: RST Spreader - 06/17/18 11:47 PM
When I went to Mexico in the '80s for ducks we shot Mexican shells. They used actual newspaper confetti for filler. We called it 'reading the funnies' when we shot...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RST Spreader - 06/18/18 02:17 AM
I have to apologize for a big mistake. I trusted my memory when I should not have. I checked on the spreaders and they were/are not RSTs at all, but Polywad SpredRs. I took a pic, but haven't been able to get it uploaded yet. They are 2 1/2", 16 ga.

I am very sorry for any confusion I may have caused by trusting my memory and not checking first before posting. Lesson learned.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com