doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/20/18 03:14 PM
I get cheek slap from every gun that I pre-mount for trap shooting. That includes semi's, pumps, a number of sxs, a number of o/u, a Remington 1894 F-Trap and my wife's Winchester 101 with a Gracoil.

My trap gun is especially bad, a Beretta 680 trap combo with a double barrel and an un-single that I purchased new in 1982. I have tried a high roll over Monte Carlo style stock, then whittled it to extreme cast off, put a leather pad on it, tried vaseline. I have an adjustable butt pad and have played around with the pitch. My mount is normal, I'm not doing anything different than most other trap shooters. After one round my cheek is starting to swell and after two rounds I'm generally finished.

But if I shoot low gun I never get cheek slap. Never get it shooting low gun skeet or while hunting unless I pre-mount to shoot a cripple.

Never get it from any of my rifles that includes most of the common calibers up to Win 338. All my rifles have custom stocks with extreme high roll over Monte Carlo butts.

I am the average guy, 5'10", 175lbs, fit and no unusual features.

I've had lots of guys who think they know something about gun fit provide many comments but none have worked.

I'm sure there is a fix but I don't know what it is.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/20/18 04:01 PM
A few...firmly held if not accurate...opinions here, and pictures! smile

Cheek slap
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/cheek-slap.306642/
The effect of pitch on muzzle rise
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/the-...-powers.328905/
Face Pressure
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/in-the-stock-question-or-rock-to-the-stock.587545/
Gun is beating me up
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/bt99-is-beating-me-up.554337/

It's probably time for a professional opinion and fitting

or try this
Crawling the Stock
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/the-main-reason-for-crawling-the-stock.504289/
Posted By: Buzz Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/20/18 04:03 PM
It could be a plethora of things including not enough pitch, comb to heel measurement not right, a stock that’s not the right LOP, poor mounting technique, cheeking the comb to hard, et al. Bottom line, gun likely does not fit you. You might want to get a gun fitting by a pro and then you will know.
Posted By: Mark II Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/20/18 04:09 PM
Do your stocks have level combs front to back? You might try having the point of your cheek weld be lower, so the recoil , coming straight back moves the cheek piece down. Try to set the adjustment so the cheekpiece is higher at the butt than the thumb hole.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/20/18 08:34 PM
What causes it for me is seeing too much rib, knowing that it will shoot high if I don't cheek it hard. I refuse to shoot guns like that.

SRH
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/20/18 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
What causes it for me is seeing too much rib, knowing that it will shoot high if I don't cheek it hard. I refuse to shoot guns like that.

SRH

+1
Posted By: volleyfire Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/20/18 10:27 PM
Have someone take a picture of your head on the stock. Shoot the gun both ways before you look at the pictures. You should see a difference in where your cheek is placed.
Posted By: Buzz Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/20/18 11:58 PM
25 shots and the man’s face is swelling......it’s more than a high stocked gun fellows. I hate to argue, but.......I’m putting my money elsewhere. It could even be that right before Tamid goes shooting his wife says “no” and he won’t take no for an answer. Lots of causes for cheek slap. Bottom line, the guns don’t fit you. It could be your mount technique since it’s not one gun in particular. You need hands on diagnostics and gun fitting by a pro. Without observing your gun mount, shooting and assessing gun fit in person, it’s anyones guess where the problem lies.
Posted By: Blue Grouse Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/21/18 06:00 AM
Tamid,
If you can shoot low gun and hit things and get no cheek slap, then it has to do with your mount when shooting gun up. My guess is that you are rolling your head after the mount. Head rolling does not necessarily change your eye to rib relationship but makes a huge difference in recoil management.
If happens with all guns of different fit, then it is probably not gunfit. I can shoot all sorts of different fitting guns and never get cheek slap but my brother does with any gun.
We will have to go out to the range and I can sort it out after watching you shoot, both gun-up and gun-down.
Posted By: bsteele Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/21/18 02:29 PM
The last time I experienced Cheek Slap coming home really late was the root cause...

Apologies to all
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/21/18 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: bsteele
The last time I experienced Cheek Slap coming home really late was the root cause...

Apologies to all

I learned long ago that it was way easier to slip in late on your mama than it ever is with your wife...Geo
Posted By: Tamid Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/21/18 05:26 PM
Drew,
Thanks. Good reading but inconlusive. Seems gun fit and cause remain somewhat of an art with lots of opinions. Not enough empirical studies being undertaken.

Bluegoose,
Sounds like a plan but will have to wait for much warmer weather.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/21/18 07:55 PM
As Mark said, adjust your stock so the front has more drop than the back. That way when the gun recoils back, the comb is going away from your face.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/22/18 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: bsteele

Apologies to all

Been there.
Posted By: Tom C Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/23/18 04:09 AM
I used to have terrible check slap with any modern shotgun I used. The typical stock dimensions on newer guns just didn't fit my face shape. It wasn't until I started shooting older SxSs with much more drop at the heal and the comb that the problem went away. I now shoot guns that have 2 3/4" or more DAH with 2 1/8" or slightly more at the comb where my check touches. It's not uncommon for me to take a file to the stock of a "new" gun and drop the comb down and then refinish the entire stock and forend. On guns with modern dimensions I always saw lots of rib and had to float targets. Upon firing the force lifts the gun into your cheek more than it should if the comb is too high. And because I saw so much rib, I forced my cheek down hard on the stock to get as low as possible and this just made it worse.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/23/18 12:12 PM
I don't know why the trend on so many newer made doubles is toward less drop at comb...... and at heel, on most. Many of the Italian O/U guns are stocked like that now. I have friends who shoot Guerini(s) and they have often offered them to me to try. I have never seen one yet that wasn't stocked too high for me. Obviously there are folks whose distance from their cheekbone to their eye is much less than mine.

I have a Verona 28/410 O/U two barrel set that is stocked way too high. I only use it for sub-gauge competition, and aesthetics is secondary to proper gun fit, so I put an adhesive backed add-on rib, 1/4" high, on top of the vent rib on both barrel sets ($40 ea). Instant gun fit. It lifted my line of sight that 1/4" that I couldn't get comfortably by burying my cheek into the comb. I would recommend trying one on any gun that one is considering having bent for more drop, before doing so. If you don't like the looks of it you can remove it with no damage to the vent rib, and at least you'll know how much you need to have the stock bent down. You may well find you shoot better with it because your head is usually in a more upright position, much the way the old-timers shot in America with stocks that had/have 3" DAH.

Brister, I believe, wrote about making a balsa try-rib to add height to a gun's rib, to test for proper fit and resulting pattern placement. It is said he was one who would take a rasp to a gun in a heartbeat, if needed, to try and make it fit him better. Shaving away the comb height accomplishes the same thing as elevating the rib, but is much harder to put back than removing a glued on add-a-rib.

SRH
Posted By: jeweler Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/24/18 03:20 PM
No expert here but I am a trap shooter..I shoot a negative pitch...and I have a 21 that had the comb the same height as my trap gun but it has no pitch..neutral pitch... it does slap with hotter loads..order Stock Fitting Secrets by Rollin Oswald.
good reading
Monty
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: What Causes Cheek Slap - 02/24/18 03:46 PM
I've found that for me zero down pitch or close to it is best. The GR3 (7lb/1oz) here slapped the shit outta me when I got it. Checked the down pitch and it was nearly 8" !! Buzzed that baby down to about 1/8" and it became as civilized as a gun weighing a pound more. There is not a gun in the safe now that has more than 1" down pitch and the adjusto stocks are set at zero. Works for my wife as well and a couple other shooters that I spoken with about it.

FWIW Michael Bradley a somewhat respected coach/etc in the GB world says that down pitch serves no purpose on a gun used with modern shooting styles. I'm happy I took that advice some years ago even tho he is a Limey.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com