doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Nitro Special single trigger - 02/13/18 09:44 PM
Anyone have a single trigger mechanism for a Nitro? Is it possible to convert a double trigger to single on the Nitro? This one is a 16 Ga. Are the trigger plates common on these from gauge to gauge?

Thanks!
Posted By: skeettx Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/13/18 10:40 PM
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93581
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 01:20 AM
Call Classic Gun Stocks, Oswego, NY. Maybe they can help. The old Company would do it for under $5.00 but those days are very long gone.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 01:31 AM
They are more common on the Lefever A grades and the western Arms guns. But they were put on the nitros as well. They are a simple trigger, but not selectable.

Swapping to double triggers would be straight forward. The trigger plates are the same, or at least similar enoigh to make the interchange easily doable. You jist need the parts for the double teigger guns. If you want to do it and need the parts, contact me. I have everything, and lots of them.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 02:08 AM
I may have misunderstood your question. I understood that you were asking about converting a double trigger gun to a single trigger gun?
BTW Ithaca advertised widely for converting double trigger guns to a single non-selective trigger. $3.21 at one point. More later.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 02:20 AM
Walter, you are correct. I have a double trigger gun that has had the barrels cut to the point that there is no discernible choke. No choke, no real advantage for double triggers. The gun is a good grouse gun in the fact that it can't be hurt much more than it has been! A single trigger would be fine and a little bit handier for me wearing gloves when it gets colder.

Thanks
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 02:42 AM
Perhaps Mr. Dudley has the parts to do the job. If not the Miller Trigger boys (Classic Gun Stocks) can do it BUT you may not like the price.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 03:25 PM
The SNS trigger is simple enough. Most parts are stamped out steel, then twisted and bent into shapes need.
IIRC the right hammer may be slightly different. The contour of the back side of it is slightly different than the plain 2 trigger gun hammer. The trigger is reset by a spring loaded arm riding on the back edge of the right hammer as it recocks each time.

Trigger plate is the same 2 slotted type. SNS trigger uses the left(rear) slot for the trigger. Right slot is filled.
Inside underneath the tang is the antidoubling counter weight.
A small slot milled to accept it and cross pinned. A simple coil spring supplies the power.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 04:15 PM
Walter, I'm thinking I'd be into the gun a bit to much with a Miller! $3.21? Where's that time machine?!

Kutter, great info! It seems that I don't need the trigger plate, just the mechanism. I was wondering how the trigger re-set. Could the existing hammer be modified or will I need to have the hammer too? I am thinking about buying a complete ST gun, converting mine to ST, converting/reselling the other. So, does it matter what gauge the donor gun is?

Thanks!
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
Perhaps Mr. Dudley has the parts to do the job. If not the Miller Trigger boys (Classic Gun Stocks) can do it BUT you may not like the price.

I was misunderstanding the question too.

If you want to convert from DT to ST, then yes, Miller is the way to go, but not the cheapest. And finding the parts just laying around somewhere for the Ithaca Lefever single triggers would be a difficult task. You would be better off buying a LNS or Western arms gun that has one and in rough shape and using it for the parts.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 11:10 PM
Not sure about wether the trigger mechanisms were in different sizes for the frames sizes. The hammer would be the smaller size in a 20ga frame gun.
The only thing done to the hammer if I'm recalling correctly is reshaping the back edge of it. That edge is in effect a cam surface that pushes that arm back to reset the mechanism.

The same set up was used in the NID SNS trigger.

I have a N/Special 20ga Skeet w/ SNS trigger somewhere. I'm going to have to pull the stock off it now and take a look at it just out of curiosity again. It's been a while since I worked on one.
If I can find it, I'll take a couple pics of the mechanism.
Posted By: John E Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 11:24 PM
This old post may help.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=418044

John
Posted By: Kutter Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/14/18 11:53 PM
Thanks for the link John,, Nice pics there.
Saves me looking for the 20ga. His is probably a lot nicer inside than mine anyway. The outside is for sure!
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Nitro Special single trigger - 02/15/18 12:10 AM
John E, that certainly helps to understand how the trigger works and how the parts are different than the DT system, thanks! Kutter, that is more great info, thanks. I am on the hunt for (another) beater 16 with ST.

Thanks!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com