doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: kemaltunali Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/13/18 07:56 PM
Hello dear doublegunners! Today i have found myself a nice old Nikko from a local gunsmith who was shooting clays with this gun, and i asked him if he sells it and he did. The gun has 30 inch barrels and was fixed choked full and improved modified and this gunsmith had the gun briley thin walled screw in chokes installed at some point. I have searched the net throughly but have found little info about Nikko apart from it was a Japanese gunmaker. I have pictured the gun and will post them, i am looking for info about the quality of this particular model. I will be using this gun for driven partridge hunting and some clay shoots. What do you guys think? Will it suit my needs?

Posted By: RARiddell Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/13/18 08:27 PM
Kodensha plant, same gun as the Winchester 101
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/13/18 08:34 PM
Is that stock honest to goodness wood or some kind of photo copied something?...Geo
Posted By: kemaltunali Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/13/18 08:37 PM
Yes its a honesty great walnut Geo smile
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/13/18 08:43 PM
Well Kem, all I can say is that it is the prettiest and fanciest walnut stock I've seen...Geo
Posted By: kemaltunali Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/13/18 08:46 PM
Thank you Geo i am glad you liked it smile the stock and the engraving pushed me to buy it i have to admit.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/13/18 09:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Kem1988
If god wanted you to shoot an over under he would have placed your eyes that way

I've just got to ask ............when you awoke the day after buying the Nikko were you eyes superposed?

SRH
Posted By: kemaltunali Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/14/18 08:32 AM
Thats a good one stan, i still prefer sidebyside shotguns but this one was an exception smile
Posted By: tut Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/14/18 10:39 AM
As I recall Nikko also built the Golden Eagle Rifles and Shotguns. High Standard also imported some of their shotguns in the early 1980's. Quality is very good. They are a Winchester 101 clone in many ways. My friend has a Nikko Shadow Deluxe, which might have the widest rib I've ever seen on a sporting shotgun. Looks like you could land a fighter jet on that rib. He shoots it well and it has taken probably 500 grouse in its lifetime although it is ungodly heavy IMO.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/14/18 11:59 AM
Just a little fun Rem. I once used the same line to a guy on a squad ahead of me who looked at my S x S and told me my gun looked like somebody had run over it with a truck and mashed the barrels out of shape.

Hope you shoot the gun well. It is pretty, tho' if it were mine I might have to take a rasp to the grip area. It may feel as comfortable as a kidskin glove when you grip it, but I'm afraid the protrusions around the grip area would be distracting to me. To a trapshooter with hands the right size it would be heavenly.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: oskar Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/14/18 04:13 PM
I have a pair of O/U's from the 1960's bought in Taiwan, one is a Nikko and one is a Winchester, you can not tell the difference until you turn them over and read the name, everything is exactly the same. I haven't drug one out to compare to your picture but the trigger on your shotgun looks different than a 101.

Yours is a beautiful looking shotgun.

To get from getting Superposed eyes with an O/U you need to use a "Gangster Twist" while shooting them
Posted By: kemaltunali Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/14/18 10:28 PM
The grip area for surprise fits to my hands perfectly. I guess we had the same size with the gunsmith i bought it from.

Thank you oskar, i really like it too. Whats the quality of the materials used in these guns? Can they stand wear and tear? Looking from the outside the metal to metal fit and the quality of the receiver seems fine. I wonder how inside is, i havent got the time to disassemble it yet. Also what loads do you recommend for me to use especially for driven game?

Best

Kem
Posted By: kemaltunali Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/14/18 10:32 PM
And also, is there any reference to serial numbers which can identify the date gun was built? Serial number is K421220
Posted By: oskar Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/18/18 03:26 AM
Well, I think they are well made. The Nikko marked one was my trap gun and the first few years of life it lived on a diet of 1 1/4oz NP 7's shooting international trap, it now has a little over 250,000 shells through it and it still won't close on a piece of computer paper, I had it rechoked for shooting live birds at hunt test and now I use it for SC. I had to put a set of firing pins in it early on as one of them got a chip off the tip and I replace both right away. I did replace the wood about 20 yrs ago as the reciever was starting to pound it's way into the head of the stock.

The other was my skeet gun and while it doesn't have as many shells through it as the Nikko it has never had any work done to it in 50 yrs.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Nikko Special Model 199 - 02/18/18 04:14 AM
Contact Chris Showler at Double Eagle Trading in Nevada for just about anything you need to know about Nikko shotguns.

cshowler@gmail.com
Phone 775-882-9739

I don't know if he still has his own website, but he lists a lot of guns on Doublegunshop.com at
http://www.doublegunshop.com/showler.htm

Nikko is the brand name for Win 101s marketed out of the U.S., and a lot of the parts are interchangeable. When I needed a new butt stock for one of my 101s, Chris sent me a Nikko stock and it was a perfect fit. The subject gun is marked "Special," so may not be a standard production version. Probably similar to Miroku's practice of having a bunch of "standard" models, but there are always odd or special versions that pop up.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com