CZ-USA Hammer Classic
Hammers
30 inch barrels
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-hammer-classic-12-30-5-choke-tubes/

Here is one for sale smile
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/736946665
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 01/13/18 12:59 AM
Coincidently, I sold mine today.

I bought mine when I first decided that I wanted a hammer gun with steel barrels but couldn't find any suitable old ones. The CZ has a lot going for it. Steel shot rated, 3-inch chambers, choke tubes. It is a bit chunky (thick in the stock) but it handles pretty well. I had to send mine back to CZ and have them lighten the triggers but otherwise, it was good to go. In the end, it just had too new of a vibe. I prefer something with some age on it and have since accumulated a few other hammer guns. A friend was looking for a side-by-side, I showed him the Hammer Classic and the deal was done . . .

Here's a photo that shows the CZ alongside a Husqvarna 51 and a Bernardelli. Yeah, I swapped out the CZ's steel butt plate for a recoil pad. I later regretted that decision but the buyer didn't seem to mind.

Posted By: skeettx Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 01/13/18 01:19 AM
Thank you
I have a Brescia and was intrigued by the CZ
but not now smile
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 01/13/18 01:42 AM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
Thank you
I have a Brescia and was intrigued by the CZ
but not now smile

She's sort of like a plain, somewhat thick country girl competing in a beauty pageant alongside all the sorority girls.

(ETA: If you wanted a hammer gun to take to the duck blind, I would think the CZ would be a good choice . . . sort of like how the country gal would be more helpful when it came time to do chores.)
Posted By: TMair Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 01/13/18 06:15 AM
Like Bladeswitcher I wanted a hammer gun, but I wanted a tang safety also, I picked up a Pedersoli La Bohemanie about a month ago, I couldn't be happier.

TM
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 01/13/18 09:54 AM
Bladeswitcher, I like your analogy!
Posted By: WBLDon Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 01/13/18 02:34 PM
I have had one for a year or so now. Shoots well and like TMair I liked the idea of having a safety so you can carry the gun hammers cocked.

As Bladeswitcher mentioned it is not a light slim English gun but as mentioned it does have 3" chambers, screw in chokes and will handle steel shot all at a reason able price so it's a trade off.

I have had no issues and feel that for me it was a good value for the money.....

WBLDon
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 01/13/18 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: WBLDon

I have had no issues and feel that for me it was a good value for the money.....

For what it's worth, I didn't wake up yesterday thinking I would sell my CZ Hammer. It was just one of those things that happens. A fellow gun-guy was looking for a gun. I had a gun. He had money . . . They still make them. If I want another one, I can get it.
Posted By: LGF Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 01/15/18 03:53 AM
I chimed in about this gun on Adam's Turkish gun thread before seeing this one:

I also bought one for using steel on waterfowl. I had to correct several problems: 1) awful triggers; 2) the pistol grip was too tight and my middle finger got badly banged up on the trigger guard, so I opened it up to a POW; 3) early on the left barrel failed to fire, and that turned out to be a short hammer nose, but CZ-USA sent a replacement immediately.

The one shown at the beginning of the video on their website has a more open pistol grip, so perhaps they have fixed that in the more recent ones.

She is not pretty, but she goes bang (now) and I don't worry about her in the marsh or blind.
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 03/16/18 02:17 AM
My CZ Hammer Classic came back to me. The fella I sold it to traded it in at my pawnshop. I shot a couple rounds of skeet with it last night. It really is a pretty nice gun. I had a good time with it. I think I may buy it back from myself.
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 03/16/18 08:02 PM
I bought one recently, and had the CZ-USA Custom Shop upgrade the wood with their highest grade available. I was also able to get my dimensions and extras in 10 weeks.

Triggers were heavy, and they promptly took care of that issue. It is a heavier gun due to the 30 inch barrels and heavier, well figured wood. Overall, I am quite pleased! A lot of gun for the money.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 03/16/18 09:22 PM

Would you care to post a picture of the upgraded wood and it's cost?
Posted By: TMair Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 03/17/18 04:42 AM
Originally Posted By: SXS 40

Would you care to post a picture of the upgraded wood and it's cost?

Please do!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 03/17/18 11:19 AM
bladeswitcher,

Does you Bernardelli have screw-in chokes? I have a San Georgio, which is an Italian 12 ga. hammergun, that was made in 1973, by Bernardelli, I have been told. It looks to be an exact match for your gun. It has thin wall chokes in it, and I have always assumed they were done by a previous owner, since they are Briley tubes.

Though I don't care for the idea of screw chokes in a hammergun, it is really a very versatile gun for clays and birds. BTW, it's in the shop right now having the left lock sear recut and hardened.

SRH
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 03/17/18 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
bladeswitcher,

Does you Bernardelli have screw-in chokes? I have a San Georgio, which is an Italian 12 ga. hammergun, that was made in 1973, by Bernardelli, I have been told. It looks to be an exact match for your gun. It has thin wall chokes in it, and I have always assumed they were done by a previous owner, since they are Briley tubes . . .

No. Mine has fixed chokes.
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: CZ-USA Hammer Classic - 03/17/18 08:34 PM
I have never had much luck trying to post photos. If someone volunteers--I'll send them a picture to post.

My cost was $800.00 plus the cost of the base gun. I was told by Sales Manager Dave Miller that the CZ custom shop had excess capacity at the time--so I ordered it. Overall quite pleased!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com