doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Engraving question - 12/23/17 01:12 PM
Never having had this done, I haven't a clue but ............... can gold inlays be added to a gun's barrel(s) without having to reblue? Let's say a name in gold, or lightning bolts, typical things that might have been on a nicer vintage double's barrels.

My guess would be "No".

SRH
Posted By: bushveld Re: Engraving question - 12/23/17 02:15 PM
It is possible. I have not done it but there are better engravers than I am who could do that depending upon the design. Contrary to opinion, gold inlaying is not a extremely difficult task, but the preparation of undercutting and cutting holding grooves for the gold wire is the most important item of all.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Engraving question - 12/23/17 03:18 PM
What are you up to, Stan, lol?
JR
Posted By: SamW Re: Engraving question - 12/23/17 04:44 PM
There are a few problems doing this that make it not likely. First one has to make the cuts into the steel without kicking up any burr or marring the bluing. Then undercut and set the gold without any marring. Then dressing down or smoothing the gold without scratching or marring the bluing.

Not something I would attempt (again) but there may be those who can...I just don't know them.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Engraving question - 12/23/17 04:44 PM
Rust blue can be relatively easy to touch-up but can also tarnish the gold and cleaning up the gold can cause other problems with fresh bluing.
So, maybe...
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Engraving question - 12/23/17 10:44 PM
The chances of being able to add inlays without effecting the bluing is VERY slim.

The tarnishing of gold inlays is minimal with rust bluing. At least with the method that i use. And they are easily brightened up by a few different means.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Engraving question - 12/24/17 12:04 AM
Thanks to all who responded. It helps a lot.

I'm not really up to anything, John. I've just got a couple of shotguns that I have really "bonded" with, that I am considering having personalized, or, slightly customized I guess.

And, for the naysayers, I could care less if it affects the market value of them.

SRH
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Engraving question - 12/24/17 12:23 PM
Don't forget there's a clear resin with gold flecks in it to fill existing engraving with. Or gold leaf.
People tart [_]p g[_]ns with it all the time.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Engraving question - 12/24/17 01:35 PM
I've seen that stuff, and even sen some guns on which it has been applied, but that's not what I had in mind. I want something that is not already on the gun.

Thanks tho', SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Engraving question - 12/24/17 02:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Thanks to all who responded. It helps a lot.

I'm not really up to anything, John. I've just got a couple of shotguns that I have really "bonded" with, that I am considering having personalized, or, slightly customized I guess.

And, for the naysayers, I could care less if it affects the market value of them.

SRH

Preserve the gun and get a tattoo of them on your arm or arse...
Posted By: SamW Re: Engraving question - 12/24/17 04:36 PM
Stan, there will be 40 or 50 engravers at the Vegas show...talk with a few of them.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com