doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gnappi Double triggers? - 12/09/17 08:01 AM
I have two old DT shotguns. One is a 60's vintage Fabarm O/U with Mod /IC fixed chokes and the other is a Miroku 500 SxS with IM/Mod chokes.

When I went to the local 5 stand range the other shooters are intrigued by them, and note that I do pretty well. Even on the skeet range despite the rather tight chokes and from a low mount I regularly take all 25 birds with either, but do better at trap with the Fabarm.

Anyone else use DT's for shotgun games?
Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 09:14 AM
Yep. Rare that I go to a range/club for "shotgun games" (we have two Lincoln throwers on the property), but anytime I do, it's always DT. But then, I'm almost always with other guys also shooting a twin barrel in an obsolete gauge with tubes laid out like my eyes. But then, I've always been. A little. Different.

Mike
Posted By: tut Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 11:34 AM
That's all I shoot at Sporting Clays and Skeet. I hunt with them and its practice for hunting as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 11:34 AM
Intrigued by double triggers. That is funny.

Shoot a SxS and they will be blown away.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 11:54 AM
gnappi
Welcome on your first posting
Yes the double triggers just seem right
Mike
Posted By: damascus Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 11:58 AM
Possibly an age thing but I don't own a double barrel gun with a single trigger O/U or SBS, I have tried them but having used double triggers from the very start of shooting a single trigger is not for me. Also I like to choose what choked barrel I want to use at the time I mount the gun, with just one trigger to pull the aged brain gets confused messages because my trigger finger cant find the one my brain has selected.
Oh the joys of growing old!!!!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 12:13 PM
Welcome, gnappi.

I enjoy double triggers as that is what I first learned to shoot a shotgun with. As many of my S x Ss are choked tighter in the left barrel than the right I often shoot the rear trigger/left barrel first, then go to the front trigger for the second shot. Incoming doves are especially suited to that, taking the first bird as far out as possible, then trying for a second bird closer.

I also enjoy a good single trigger, and can switch back and forth between the two without conscious thought.

It is interesting to see someone who has always shot a single trigger try a double trigger gun for the first time. Almost every one will try and pull the same trigger again, even when they have been instructed ahead of time. OTOH, when I taught my grandson to shoot flying I started him at age 8, the same age I was when I started, and with the same type gun, a double trigger .410. He never had any trouble getting onto double triggers and can switch between a single trigger gun and a double trigger one now, with no effort.

SRH
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 01:39 PM
Routine can be the the bain to almost anyones existence. I did it last weekend while shooting sporting clays. I was shooting a new gun and trying to get used to that. On the second station the second bird on a report pair came out broken. After clearing the trap, i had forgotten that i had already fired the right barrel. I ended up trying to pull the front trigger again. It wont be the last time.

In regards to SSTs, a lot of vintage doubles have the barrel selector in an awkward or downright unsafe location. It makes you wonder how many people actually use the selector in the field on the fly. I have always said that there is no more convenient selector than simply moving your finger back to the othet trigger.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 02:01 PM
I don’t think many, if any humans can use a barrel selector with a SST in the heat of battle. In my opinion, barrel selectors are superfluous for hunting, but useful for sporting clays where you know the shots ahead of time and can get set up for those shots ahead of time.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 02:09 PM
Funny hearing a Miroku and a Fabarm being described as "old".

All my SxS are DT. I would be unlikely to buy a single trigger SxS.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 02:17 PM
The benefits of double triggers for the unpredictable shots you get hunting are obvious. I think they are also a benefit for sporting clays. The main reason for me is on a selective single trigger gun I often forget to change the order of the barrels after a station. One station will have a long then close pair, and the next might be reversed and I often forget to switch the selector back to match the station. With double triggers that never happens.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 02:24 PM
They may be a benefit for the occasional sporting clays shooter. They are not a benefit for serious registered sporting competition. However, they should not be a hindrance either. If a true pair is set up so that you have to shoot them so fast that going to the other trigger is a problem, then that is a poorly set pair of targets. I believe I can move from one trigger to the next just about as fast as a single trigger can reset. Certainly fast enough that it has never been a hindrance. But, I shoot a single trigger on my comp O/U gun, and would never consider going to double triggers on it.

SRH
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 02:26 PM
Stan, I’m not that serious.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 02:27 PM
After many years of double triggers I shot a single selective trigger for a few years. The transition back to double triggers, which I now prefer, was painfully slow, and full of bobbled shooting opportunities.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
After many years of double triggers I shot a single selective trigger for a few years. The transition back to double triggers, which I now prefer, was painfully slow, and full of bobbled shooting opportunities.

That right there is an honest post, and more in line with my experience. I have but a single single trigger gun, an O/U Beretta, the single trigger allows for use in severe cold, but, when I was younger, I did that duty with a double trigger.
Having two roosters, or, two grouse, blast out from near your feet can and will screw with your recollection of what gun and trigger you are using.
Barrel selectors seem to cause more problems than they solve.

Thats my story.

Enjoy your guns.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 03:35 PM
Having o/u's with single triggers for years, I chose to purchase sxs's with double triggers. The only exception was my first sxs, a Browning bss sporter. After becoming accustomed to the double triggers, I came to prefer them due to the simplicity of their use. My o/u's are gone now with only the sxs's remaining, and if used exclusively I find them easy to use.
I had read here on this forum before and find it to be true, "If at first you don't succeed.......try the back trigger"!
Karl
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 03:44 PM
In my stable if it has two barrels it has two triggers, period! Always low gun on skeet and our local game of crazy skeet* (a hysterical hoot!). And I far prefer non ejectors. About as bullet proof a combination as man can make. Single triggers are a evil contraption made by the devil to entrap the unwary.

*Anyone looking to put a little spice back into their skeet field life should ask our member, skeettx, about how crazy skeet is shot. I will promise this: very few straights will be shot. And if you're a sober citizen who disdains a good laugh this game isn't for you.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 03:57 PM
I have a funny double trigger story. My shooting companion shoots a K – 80 on the clays range with a single trigger exclusively. After years of seeing me come out with my side-by-sides he became intrigued with the idea of owning one. He found a12 gauge AYA side-by-side at a pawnshop which he purchased. He shot a personal best the first time out with it. Nonetheless, under the influence of his shooting friends, he was pressured and returned to shooting the K-80. He accompanies me to the Southern side by side every year and brings the AYA for an annual outing. This year, at station 1, he smoked the first bird, but his left barrel wouldn't fire. He continue shooting the station with only one barrel seemingly operative. On his last pair I noticed that he was neglecting his rear trigger. Upon informing him of the oversight, we had a great laugh.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 04:08 PM
Ever noticed how many folks who are not familiar with sxs guns and double triggers will put a finger on both triggers, thinking they will pull the front and then the back? The gun'll double every time! I've started explaining the problem with that before I'll let anyone I don't know well shoot one of my guns...Geo
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 04:13 PM
I like single and double triggers. Bobby
Posted By: coosa Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 04:35 PM
I learned to shoot on a DT gun and much prefer it over a ST. But finding a modern gun capable of shooting steel shot with DT is very difficult. It seems that even the Turkish guns mostly come with ST. I have read that the Beretta 486 is available with DT, but I am yet to see one. I think they are mythical. I don't like the rib on them anyway.
Posted By: gnappi Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 06:02 PM
Given that I'm considered a odd bird of sorts because I often use DT's at the range I'm a bit surprised on one hand at the number of replies to the thread, on the other what other type of users would a site called "double gun" be expected to have? :-)

I have and have had had many "modern" O/U's, pumps, and automatics for shotgun sports and for certain the logic of DT's where the "presentation" is unknown DT's are a real advantage. Try and tell that to a younger crowd!

I grew up with an old Savage (IIRC?) bolt action 20 gauge that had a wide choke and I always wished I could get a double with DT's. Those cool pics on the covers of mags with guys in the field with their dogs and SxS shotguns just hit home for me.

When my first DT equipped came along (the Fabarm) I sent it to my Dad in New York and he used it for turkey, after he passed I got it back.

The good news for users of DT's prices are very good for buyers.

Many comments above could use a reply but the one from B.Dudley is striking, "It makes you wonder how many people actually use the selector in the field on the fly" Personally I don't think many are THAT good to use the selector, crap, many kids are now using a high gun mount because they can't use a field mount and NEED that time to make the shot, use a selector? I personally don't see it happening. So many now use automatics that pumps and older double guns are at the ranges I go to getting rare.

And Canvasback, I appreciate your signature "Message to Garcia" what was then is still today.

Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 06:28 PM
Single, double, makes no difference to me.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 06:38 PM
This comes up every so often, and the passionate dissertations in favor of one style over another can be quite amusing.

They're your guns, your targets, your birds. Do as you please. Just don't preach to me that your preference is the one and only true and traditional way and stick your nose up in the air because what others do is so obviously inferior.

I don't give a rat's ass. I shoot them all, equally well or poorly as your perspective may be. They are all fun.

What I admire in a shooter is the ability to pick any gun off the rack, adapt to it, shoot it well, and not [censored] about fit, triggers, mid beads, glow worms, recoil pads, screw in choke tubes, swamped or raised ribs, barrels side by side or stacked, jam-o-matic, trombone, or the patent number.

Now I'm not saying I don't do any of the above, it's just that I find the ability to shoot anything that comes down the pike admirable. With me it's a work constantly in progress, but I do strive. Variety is half the fun.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 06:55 PM
all but one pf my shotguns are double triggers and all are sxs
Posted By: gnappi Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
This comes up every so often, and the passionate dissertations in favor of one style over another can be quite amusing.

They're your guns, your targets, your birds. Do as you please. Just don't preach to me that your preference is the one and only true and traditional way and stick your nose up in the air because what others do is so obviously inferior.

Gads, what 's bugging you? Not once did I read a preachy account, unless YOU took it that way, jeez lighten up?
Posted By: gnappi Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 08:38 PM
BTW, "observing" another shooters preference, and mentioning it is not preachy, it's an observation.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Double triggers? - 12/09/17 08:44 PM
Geezo!
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Double triggers? - 12/10/17 12:41 AM
Perhaps I unloaded both barrels through the muzzle a bit hastily.

That was intended as a preemptive strike, not a reflection of this particular thread, which however is just a continuation of an ongoing discussion.

Double triggers are fine. As is a single trigger.

Start 'low gun' if you wish, another ongoing debate. Skeet isn't bird hunting, and even a proper 'low gun' hold approximates an ideal starting position not encountered frequently afield. Of course, birds don't start at 50 mph either nor do they fly a predetermined path.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com