doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mark II FYI Summer classes - 12/05/17 09:56 PM
For those interested in summer classes, IVCC in Grinnell, IA will be offering classes. Dennis Potter will be offering his double gun class and Glenn Fewless will be giving his single shot rifle class the last week in August. Other class times aren't set yet but Bob Strossin will give an engraving class, Steve Durren metal finishing, and Dave Bennetts is offering a case repair class, As dates are firmed up and registration is opened up I will post that info.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/05/17 11:42 PM
Thanks, that is really great to know. For those who don't know IVCC is Iowa Valley Community College. Maybe it is time to start my last degree.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/06/17 02:44 AM
I have a friend that is interested so how can he get more information?
Posted By: Mark II Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/06/17 03:14 AM
I will post as more info is developed
Posted By: Bartlett Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/06/17 07:36 PM
Nice to see the courses continue.
Personally it may prove a bit far to travel but good nevertheless.
Jeremy
Posted By: Mark II Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/06/17 08:54 PM
The final class descriptions, registration links, costs etc. will be posted after the first of the year. 6 student minimums are going to be needed to make these fly. Check your schedules!
Posted By: mark Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/07/17 02:30 AM
I took Bob Strosin's engraving class last summer at Grinell. It's a very nice facility and I can't say enough about Dennis and Glenn.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/07/17 12:59 PM
Makes me wish I still lived just down the road from Grinnell. I may try to attend Dennis's class anyhow.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/07/17 08:13 PM
Mark II, Unless you got a different e-mail than what I did....
there is an adjustment to be made in your announcement.

July 23-27 Bob Strosin- Engraving
July 30- Aug 3 Dennis Earl Smith- Stock Refinishing
Aug 6-10 Steve Durren- Advanced Metal finishes
Aug 13-17 David Bennetts- Trunk Case Restoration & Re-lining

sent from David Bennetts Dec. 6, 2017 7:49 PM
Posted By: Mark II Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/08/17 10:47 PM
Dennis Earl, I'm sorry I left your class out. Dennis Potter and Glenn Fewless classes will be the week after Bennetts. For those who are trying to figure out their priorities for these classes you have a problem! I have taken Dennis Potters' class enough times I'm not sure how many. Dennis Earl's class opened my eyes to the magic he does. Steve Durren's class was very valuable. Bennetts used to work with Marvin Huey. Bob Strosin is a Colt Master engraver. and a true artist. I haven't taken Glenn's class but he is a friend, and a master machinist who makes machines do wonderful things. All these guys are special, good teachers and real gentlemen.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/09/17 07:55 PM
For the sixth consecutive year I will be offering summer classes in my workshop in Livingston, Montana. This summer there will be two sections of Stockmaking and one of Metal Preparation: Rust and Nitre Bluing. A week in a fully outfitted and working custom gunshop: Custom Gunmaking Immersion I call it.

Classes are five days with a maximum of four students in each. Tuition is $1650. All work is by hand tools.

It looks like one section of Stockmaking and the Metal Prep/Bluing classes may be filled. Several students will be returning this year and I keep an active list of folks that are very interested in attending. I send out a notice to these fellows first.I'll be asking for deposits in February.

Folks interested in attending, please email at my website.

The majority of interest has been focused on Custom Riflemaking but I am open to realistic projects for double guns, single shot rifles and other interesting projects. Shaping a stock from the blank is probably the most desired class.

Time is short but very focused and much is accomplished. We have about 40 hours in class at the bench, some lecture and demo time. I spend much prep with each student prior to class making sure their project is ready to work on when they arrive. Two night per week we meet back in the shop for a couple hours of show & tell and general discussion.

Student from all over the country have attended: San Diego to Miami, Alaska to Arizona. Some fly, some drive.

Please email at my web site if you are interested in this years (June Stockmaking) classes or want to be on the list of alternates or next seasons classes.
Posted By: gil russell Re: FYI Summer classes - 12/09/17 08:06 PM
In this part of the Southwest, we got a bit spoiled having Trinidad Colorado fairly close. The classes there by Dennis Potter and Glen Fewless were outstanding. Gil
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com