doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Eye candy - 12/03/17 11:50 AM
Is this one sweet, or what?

Excuse my drooling.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100359777

SRH
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 12:21 PM
Very nice. Curious about the OBO. Wonder if he'd take ????.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 12:23 PM
I hope he brings it to Vegas ..............on second tho't, I hope he doesn't bring it to Vegas.

SRH
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 12:52 PM
Stunning and the perfect two barrel set. I would like to learn more about the 300 Sherwood cartridge however. Sounds like a darn good deer or hog cartridge

I'm drooling right along with ya.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 12:59 PM
I do wonder why it wears an Austrian/ - a German style stock w/ cheekpiece?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 01:11 PM
The original owner possibly used it more as a rifle than a shotgun?

Possibly the original owner was a German, but then why the 300 Sherwood and the more English style engraving.

Be interesting to find out. smile
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 01:51 PM
I thought I had always heard the Sherwood was akin to the .310 Cadet round. Would that not be a little light for North American deer? Possibly it was a Roe or Rook cartridge?

Then again I feel I've also read that our Australian brothers used the .310 Cadet on kangaroos...so perhaps not.
Posted By: SKB Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 01:56 PM
Likely built for a Raj with the principle quarry being Blackbuck and the shot barrels being secondary.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 02:25 PM
Undoubtedly well made.
I have found it hard for a double rifle to be a well balanced shotgun when the second barrel set was fitted.
A double rifle grip and stock is too far different from what I enjoy when shotgunning.
More of a camp meat combo to use when bored.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 03:35 PM
.300 Sherwood is an incredibly anemic cartridge, but I agree, Stan, it is purty.
JR
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 04:03 PM
.300 Sherwood
140 gr (9 g) 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) 610 ft·lbf (830 J)

Might be a very small deer round, at very reasonable ranges. Kind of an in between cartridge. Bit too much for small game, not enough for deer. Nice looking set, which I suspect the new owner would find something to shoot with it.

Stan, if you buy that your Hammer Gun will funds will be gone for this year. Cruising the internet has side tracked me more than once. A computer is a very dangerous place to be sometimes.

Right now I am resisting bidding on another gun at Holt's Auction. Don't know why, it seems like every gun I bid on goes for three times the estimate and 20-30% more than my max. When you add on the cost of importing, it is a lot more expensive buying there than it was a decade ago. Still I guess I do it because I still think Christmas is real and coming not that I am sure my behavior has been up to snuff.
Posted By: WildCattle Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 04:27 PM
This set has been on the block for many years, at least 3-5 IIRC. It even went to auction once.
I think the problem so far has been the asking price.

This Henry action is described by them as "Rogers". It postdates all the traditional Alex Henry invented action production. The Rogers is IMHO not quite as elegant as the Henry.
Alexander Henry was dead at the time of the switch.
As for the .300 Sherwood, it is an elongated .300 Rook, and very close in performance to the .310 Cadet. I think it was a response by WR to Greener.

Best regards,
WC-
Posted By: Bryan_Pettet Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 07:52 PM
I saw that one as well. It's basically a double rook rifle. Nice but probably overpriced. It is beautiful though and I would love to have it...at a lesser price!

I've been researching the next purchase and might find it at Vegas in January. I definitely missed some interesting pieces in the last Julia's auction.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 07:58 PM
If I find that hammergun, Jon, a few pre-selected doubles will be for sale, too. But, it will be well worth it.

SRH
Posted By: SxS Only Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 08:06 PM
Engraving is very important to me right along with unmessed with barrels on any purchase. If the engraving is all scroll, flowers and such , it is big turn off for me. I got to have well done critters on the receiver to make me want to spend any money at all. Getting correct looking animals & birds must be very difficult to do for some engravers, so some companies like AYA, for example, avoid them all together, hence I will never own one. They could cut this price in half and I still wouldn't buy it. Just my two cents worth.

SxS Only
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 08:45 PM
I take it you're a big fan of the Bulino engraving that the Italians do all the time?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
If I find that hammergun, Jon, a few pre-selected doubles will be for sale, too. But, it will be well worth it.

SRH

In order to keep myself from getting sidetracked I have completely convinced myself that this pretty little thing isn't regulated. Yep. Th'- th'- th'- that's my story and I'm st'- st- stickin' to it.

SRH
Posted By: craigd Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 09:48 PM
Problem is Stan, since it's speculation time and the original buyer leaned towards the rifle part of the package due to the stocking, I'm gonna guess inch and a half ten shot groups at a hundred yards all day long. Maybe. On the face of it, there doesn't seem much practical purpose for it, it may be a kid's gift gun.

For fun, I wouldn't mind a closer look at the engraving. It appears better done than average. I don't necessarily think ducks-n-bunnies make engraving in any way better, but there is a fair amount of not so good filler scroll around. Well done scroll with nice borders to compliment can be the perfect touch, and I think tougher to do well than a picture with scratching around it.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 09:57 PM
Heck, I don't care about the .300 Sherwood (.300 Westley/.300 ExtraLong) barrels anyway. I'd prolly drive them in the ground to tie a tomato bush to. Then I'd have to rasp that cheekpiece off .............. See, I've completely convinced myself of it's uselessness.

SRH
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I take it you're a big fan of the Bulino engraving that the Italians do all the time?

Sounds more like the pre-war German and Austrian guns...
Posted By: SxS Only Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 10:31 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958

Hardly! ... I like engraving from the old masters, like Joseph Loy ...

SxS only
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 11:31 PM
Photo bucket extortionist images totally blocked unless you're using the unblocks on Chrome or Firefox which don't work on Safari or other servers. Why continue to support those hostage takers and file your photos with them? They're going bankrupt in a year anyway.
Posted By: SxS Only Re: Eye candy - 12/03/17 11:42 PM
I'll use just about any site, as long as they are FREE. And as you can see by my number of postings, wouldn't care if they all went bankrupt.

SxS Only
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Eye candy - 12/04/17 12:43 AM

SRH

In order to keep myself from getting sidetracked I have completely convinced myself that this pretty little thing isn't regulated. Yep. Th'- th'- th'- that's my story and I'm st'- st- stickin' to it.

SRH

Rotflmao...
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Eye candy - 12/04/17 12:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Argo44
Photo bucket extortionist images totally blocked unless you're using the unblocks on Chrome or Firefox which don't work on Safari or other servers. Why continue to support those hostage takers and file your photos with them? They're going bankrupt in a year anyway.

I use Safari, and have never unblocked anything. It just continues to work for me in spite of all the people telling me it doesn't. And, I have never paid them a dime. I'm not sold out to them, just saying'.

Photo posted courtesy photobucket

SRH

Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Eye candy - 12/04/17 03:20 AM

Not double guns, but a brace of .255 rook rifles for your enjoyment. A .300 Sherwood thread is probably as close to appropriate as ever to post these, especially since the Boss was originally a .300 Sherwood and was relined to .255 in period. The upper example was retailed/finished by Purdey and the lower by Boss.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Eye candy - 12/04/17 09:55 AM
Beauties Owen. Sadly a lot of Rook Rifles here in England were bored out to .410 shotgun when the Ammo became obsolete.

.300 Sherwood 140 grain lead bullet at 1400 f.p.s. giving 610 ft.lbs. Absolutely not a deer cartridge unless putting an injured road casualty down at point blank with a head shot. Might be a good one for turkey hunting though. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Bryan_Pettet Re: Eye candy - 12/04/17 01:13 PM
I love rook and cadet rifles and have a few with my personal favorite being a Greener gun that is spooky accurate. I haven't seen a Boss rook before...and no flies on the Purdey either! Nice.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Eye candy - 12/04/17 01:30 PM
The Purdey is actually the better finished gun with nice large scroll all the way around. It is in pristine original condition. I even have its original case with every accessory!Fortunately I was able to source some ammunition from Rocky Mountain cartridge. Despite the low velocity, at short range they are amazingly accurate on small game.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Eye candy - 12/05/17 02:09 AM

First let me say that I am not recommending this, BUT, A lot of whitetail deer have been killed in the US at least with the .32WCF (32-20). Normal load for this cartridge was a 115 grain bullet @ around 1300 FPS if memory serves me correct. Dave Scovill of Handloader/Rifle magizine stated that while he was NOT recommending it as a deer rifle an acquaintance of his had used one to fill his deer tag 16 years in a row. Back in the early 1980's qs I recall a story made news in several outdoor magazines of a mounted deer head being purchased at a yard sale by the nephew of an old man who had killed it many years previously in Wisconsin along a tributary to the St Croix river. Upon measurement it stood for several years as the record Typical Whitetail. It had been taken with a .32-20. I didn't save any of the articles but the story was quite amazing. Perhaps someone here is familiar with it & can provide some details. I do also recall of an account of an Eskimo Girl while out picking blackberries killing a record Grizzly with a single shot rifle firing .22 longs.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Eye candy - 12/05/17 03:06 AM
The original loading was 140 gr. bullet at 1400 fps, for 610 ft. lbs. That is a good deal more energy than the .32-20, and the .25-20, both of which are legal cartridges for whitetails in many states. I once read that more whitetails had been killed with the .22 LR than with any other single cartridge, and that it was the poacher's round of choice because of the low report. I cannot stand behind that as being true, but the point remains that, in the hands of a cool shot, a very low energy round will do the job every time when the bullet is precisely placed. And, a much higher energy bullet, poorly placed, will allow deer to escape wounded.

SRH
Posted By: Bryan_Pettet Re: Eye candy - 12/05/17 03:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
The Purdey is actually the better finished gun with nice large scroll all the way around. It is in pristine original condition. I even have its original case with every accessory!Fortunately I was able to source some ammunition from Rocky Mountain cartridge. Despite the low velocity, at short range they are amazingly accurate on small game.

I would love to see a photo of the case and accessories if you don't mind?

Some of the most accurate ammo in the world is low velocity but consistent...bullseye, Olympic match rimfire, etc. Rook ammo can be very accurate if kept at good tolerances and used in high quality barrels.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Eye candy - 12/05/17 04:14 AM
Gentlemen, my very non-original comment is....

It's the bullet that does the work. Not the cartridge, not the kinetic energy, but the bullet.

Handloading resources for that 'anemic' cartridge on the interweb indicate that good hunting bullets that will properly upset and expand are available in that diameter or can be sized to work.

This is a double rifle, so presumably you have the fastest possible second shot available. Double rifles are traditionally employed at short ranges.

A caliber with the energy of a .357 should be entirely adequate for deer at 50 yards when loaded with a good bullet.

Pal of mine did just that with a 4" barrel S&W a few years back. The guy is a well practiced pistol shot. He double actioned the second shot immediately after the first. They landed within inches of each other. Dead deer.

This rifle would be tons of fun to load for and hunt with.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Eye candy - 12/05/17 07:09 PM
I know bullets of all types can theoretically kill most game. Some have more margin of error than others. Nearly 40 years ago I dispatched a very large, very nasty Brown bear with a .270 at close dueling range. It was.charging, I had a .270 looking for a moose and stumbled across a bear at less than 100 feet. Instead of running away, like I wished it would, it came straight at me. Brown bears tend not to run off like Black bears I learned. One shot, right into the eye and into the brain. Lights out. Absolutely dumb luck on my part. Two more seconds and I was going to be mauled by a bear or bear scat in the next morning.

So from that point on I have a very strict rule of using more than enough gun for what I am shooting at. I don't take a .458 to shoot tree rats but would if there were pachyderms in the woods.
Posted By: craigd Re: Eye candy - 12/05/17 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Gentlemen, my very non-original comment is....

It's the bullet that does the work. Not the cartridge, not the kinetic energy, but the bullet.

Handloading resources for that 'anemic' cartridge on the interweb indicate that good hunting bullets that will properly upset and expand are available....

Anythings possible, but.... That .357 you referred to probably had a modern jacketed bullet expending its energy in the deer. My preference would be to only have lead ride through that bore. Just for grins, whatever pushed it along, the bullet is still pretty anemic. I'd vote for no expansion and see if it could get a little deeper into the game. The fellow that paid to have that rig made up, probably had a massive estate with game keepers and might have shot a deer or two with his tiger rifle among others.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 02:00 AM
Well I'm sure that there isn't a lot of 300 Sherwood cartridges sitting around at Walmart getting ready for the next big sellathon there so you're going to have to reload.

Load them up with a big fat charge of Trip 7 and have at it.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 02:24 AM
Interesting info about the 300 Sherwood,

"In 1900, Greener introduced a cartridge called the .310 Cadet and a year later, Westley Richards came out with a lengthened version of the 300 Rook cartridge which they named the .300 Sherwood. Kynoch, who loaded ammunition for it, called it the .300 Extra Long. "The .300 Sherwood launched a 140-grain bullet at 1,400 fps, a considerable gain over the .300 Rook (80 grains, 1,100 fps) but a slight gain over the 310 Cadet (120 grains, 1,530 fps). (The Greener round developed more energy at 624 ft/lbs to 610 ft/lbs.)

http://www.ammo-one.com/300Sherwood.html

http://www.ammo-one.com/British-310Cadet.html

http://www.ammo-one.com/British-300-295Rook.html

However, the case of the 300 Sherwood being 1.54 inches to the 310 Cadet of 1.075 inch you have considerably more case capacity to load the round up.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 03:48 AM
Yes, and you can de-lead the barrels and use some thin jacket bullets and make a halfway decent rifle out of it.

Take a zero off the price, and I'm all in.

It would be a fun project.

People make up double rifles in all kinds of stupid calibers just for the playtoy aspect.

I'm waiting for someone to make a production operation out of extra barrels sets for popular shotguns, like Brownings and Berettas. There has to be a market.

I'd buy a 32 Win Spec set in a heartbeat if I could simply snap it on a 20 gauge Citori or 680 series gun.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 04:02 AM

The cased .255 Purdey per request.
Posted By: Bryan_Pettet Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 04:06 AM
Beautiful. Thanks for posting it.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 04:15 AM
Mess with the loading too much and you will most likely lose regulation with the .300, assuming it is regulated to start with.

SRH
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 04:21 AM
Definitely. Being a double, loads would have to be confined to those that can be effectively regulated through both barrels.

But a 140 grain bullet is producing 357 mag energy and given the open iron sights, close shots would be the norm. I would use it for deer, not hogs but definitely white tail deer.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 12:25 PM
Close shots are what is fun anyway. If I had the need to, and was willing to ignore regulations, I could very easily keep my freezer full of venison year 'round with nothing but a .22 LR, and never wound one. Pinpoint placement on head shots inside 25 yds. are very doable. Think about it, if you can head shoot squirrels out of the top of tall trees, there's no reason you can't put a lead pill in a deer's brain. The skill required to do that is mostly being able to place yourself in that close proximity to a deer without it knowing you're there. Bowhunters do it every day.

A close friend of mine killed two does with one shot three days ago, with intentional head shots. He wanted two of them and waited patiently until their heads were in line and close together. Then he placed the bullet so that it passed through the first one's head and took the one behind cleanly, too.

The sad commentary is that a large percentage of people in the woods with rifles can't keep their bullets on a pie plate at 100 yds. offhand. And flinch so badly because of the fear of muzzle blast and recoil that they can't do a whole lot better off a rest.

We use a .300 Blackout for hog work at night, using thermal scopes, whereby we position ourselves downwind and slip right up on them and, taking a knee or sitting, place the bullet right behind the ear. No fight. That is using 110 gr. loads at around 2100. Not what most would consider a hog round, but it works mighty good for us.

Bullet placement is not important ........................ it is everything!!!!!

SRH
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 02:52 PM
Good points, Stan.
JR
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 03:53 PM
The 300 Sherwood is an English cartridge, and the rifle is English, as well. In England, the 45 pound Roe deer is extensively hunted, so the 300 Sherwood makes a lot of sense for them.
Mike
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Eye candy - 12/06/17 04:49 PM
Of the three cases mentioned though the best case is the 300 Sherwood. A lot of case capacity to load up getting more energy.

But, as it is, it may be a pretty good cartridge for coyote hunting, also.
Posted By: Bryan_Pettet Re: Eye candy - 12/07/17 02:29 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to use the 300 Sherwood with hard cast bullets on small deer, coyotes and exotics. Shot placement with good bullets is everything. I would have a harder time finding use for the .410 barrels than the Sherwood barrels. Now if that was a .410 Paradox set, we would really have something to consider.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Eye candy - 12/07/17 03:03 PM
If it was otherwise a nice rifle, priced according to it's modified status, I would jump on a .410. I can think of several possibilities for new caliber liners.
Mike
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Eye candy - 12/07/17 03:28 PM
At 1400 FPS I wouldn't cast those bullets Too hard. A lead bullet cast too hard will not bump up to give a good seal in the throat or bore nor will it give any expansion on game, but will act like a full metal jacketed bullet. I would think a Brinell hardness of around 15 would be plenty if not more than enough.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Eye candy - 12/08/17 04:16 PM
Der Ami, I would think a few Roe have been shot by this round in the past but regulations are in force; and rightly so, that restrict the type and power of the rounds legal for deer shooting. It varies slightly between Scotland and England & Wales, and also slightly different in Northern Ireland and also to species. The .300 Sherwood would not match up to the legal requirement. https://basc.org.uk/cop/deer-stalking/ explains. Lagopus.....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com