doublegunshop.com - home

I've always wondered about this metal part in the foreend of Boss O/U guns. Is it a cosmetic thing, or does it have a task in the working of the gun?

Thanks
It houses some of the mechanics for the Boss-patent OU ejectors, including the coil springs.

The very fronts on either side have slots in them which align with filets on the barrels to help secure forend.

That being said, the way it's styled, with graceful arcs & steps, is purely cosmetic -- and part of what makes these guns so beautiful, IMO.

Is the gun in your pic a 28g?

OWD
Thanks OWD. Your picture shows the breathtaking artistry in making these guns!

Yes, it's one of the few 28ga guns ever built by Boss. Good eye smile
You think that’s artistry, you should see the special inletting tool a stocker has to make to inlet a new Boss forend. :-)
Sure, Nitro. NP.

I can't imagine how much work went into filing up the forend metal, fitting the wood, cutting the side supports, and then mounting it all onto the action & bbls (it snaps into place using a standard Deeley-style push button setup).

BTW: The pic doesn't capture it well, but those side supports are sort of V shaped and one side is beveled at a 45-degree angle. Just one more way Boss went out of their way to make everything fit just right (and drive their gunmakers crazy).

OWD
You know Mr. Sumner loved receiving an O/U commission. Think of all the additional engraving time spent embellishing that foreend. The foreend alone contains more engraving than an average Boxlock. I bet he charged Mr. Robertson double the sidelock engraving rate!
Cannot get any better! I was told ,fanciful though it
sounds ,that the metal helped stop rain getting into the
works. Have had the privilege in coaching owners
to shoot a good
many of these guns. Never shot one I did not like.
Thanks for the picture.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com