doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bladeswitcher Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/09/17 12:20 PM
12 gauge obviously. They appear German but I can't tell much more than that. This is on a gun that the seller says bears no maker's name or mark.

Posted By: billwolfe Re: Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/09/17 12:49 PM
There are many people on this board far more familiar with German proofs than I am. but I'll take a shot. It can be confusing because there are different systems for Imperial/Weimar/Nazi Germany before 1939, wartime/Nazi Germany 1939-1945, Communist East Germany ~1945-1992, West Germany 1945-1992, and reunited Germany 1992-present. Most of those systems saw subtle or obvious changes in marks over their respective timelines, and some specific marks are common to multiple systems.

My best guess for these marks

Germany, made between 1912 and 1939
Chambered for 12 gauge shells
Both bores between .719" and .729 diameter
Left bore choked
Proofed for smokeless (nitro) powder

No date code or chamber lengths marked. Would that narrow the dates?

If I've misstated anything, someone correct me, please!
Originally Posted By: billwolfe

My best guess for these marks

Germany, made between 1912 and 1939
Chambered for 12 gauge shells
Both bores between .719" and .729 diameter
Left bore choked
Proofed for smokeless (nitro) powder

No date code or chamber lengths marked.

That fits. The seller says 2-9/16 chambers.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/09/17 06:51 PM
Indeed, 1912-1923(early) Suhl & more than likely from Rhömerwerke/Römerwerk, or the components were sourced from Römerwerk.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Indeed, 1912-1923(early) Suhl & more than likely from Rhömerwerke/Römerwerk, or the components were sourced from Römerwerk.

I apologize in advance for the dumb question but, is that a good thing?
Posted By: ed good Re: Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/09/17 09:23 PM
that is a very good thing...
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/09/17 09:35 PM
Yeah, I'd say a good thing due to the stakeholders:

"Jacob Roehmer, Suhl was the manager of the "Römerwerk", mostly a machine shop and parts factory supplying the guntrade, though they made guns of their own too, like the unique "Roemerpistole",which could be converted to a selfloading rifle, or the selfloading "Beckerflinte" shotgun. Many "name" gunmakers like Dornheim, Greifelt, Thieme & Schlegelmilch, Stadelmann, several Kesslers, Funks, Jungs were shareholders."

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233908&Searchpage=1&Main=21498&Words=r%F6merwerk&Search=true#Post233908

More than likely a side x side made for the trade. Any letters on the floorplate, buttplate or under the buttplate?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/09/17 09:37 PM
"Chasing something else like the Beckerflinte, Becker & Holländer Waffenbau or just info on Becker and found some RW and RWS initials that caught my eye. RW and RWS just might be for Römerwerk Waffenteilefabrik for a finite time span.

Vorbohren, bohren, reiben und honen - sources give that a large percentage of tubes at one time originated at Römerwerk Waffenteilefabrik(1921-1931?)- Some give an origin prior to WWI. Friedrich Wilhelm Heym looks to have heavily sourced Römerwerk and owned or absorbed it at some point(1931-1938).

"Jacob Roehmer, Suhl was the manager of the "Römerwerk", mostly a machine shop and parts factory supplying the guntrade, though they made guns of their own too, like the unique "Roemerpistole",which could be converted to a selfloading rifle, or the selfloading "Beckerflinte" shotgun. Many "name" gunmakers like Dornheim, Greifelt, Thieme & Schlegelmilch, Stadelmann, several Kesslers, Funks, Jungs were shareholders."

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233908&Searchpage=1&Main=21498&Words=r%F6merwerk&Search=true#Post233908

I believe Emil & Ernst Kerner, Christoph Funk, Thieme & Schlegelmilch-mentioned above(later owned by Alfred & Ernst Funk), F.W. Keßler(mentioned above) and a few others also sourced Römerwerk."

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=312878&Searchpage=1&Main=23624&Words=r%F6merwerk&Search=true#Post312878

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

More than likely a side x side made for the trade. Any letters on the floorplate, buttplate or under the buttplate?

Can't say for sure. It's listed online. There are no letters on the exterior of the horn buttplate. It's priced at $695.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/10/17 12:33 AM
Whale of a deal. Even if the cones are lengthened, I'd snatch it up.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Whale of a deal. Even if the cones are lengthened, I'd snatch it up.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. What the heck, right? . . .

gunbroker auction
Posted By: steve f Re: Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/10/17 12:55 PM
Description says extractors but looks like ejectors. Good buy.
Originally Posted By: steve f
Description says extractors but looks like ejectors. Good buy.

Yeah, that's what it looked like to me, too.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Can somebody read these proofs for me? - 09/11/17 12:00 AM
Evenly more lovely. A Kerner-Anson workhorse and ejectors(timeed or not) along w/ long tube & a menacing muzzel. I'd gladly give you your money back plus a finder's fee.........

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Evenly more lovely. A Kerner-Anson workhorse and ejectors(timeed or not) along w/ long tube & a menacing muzzel. I'd gladly give you your money back plus a finder's fee.........

I appreciate the offer but I think I'll get to know it a bit before I consider passing it on. If you don't mind, please tell me more about what I just bought . . .

(FWIW, I shot a round of skeet today with my East German Sauer and was reminded how much Germanic guns suit me.)
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com