doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Recoil Rob Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/17/17 09:19 PM
I picked up my first 410, a Nitro Special, very good condition except the cut down stock.

What the state of inletting services these days for this type gun? They can use the original as a pattern I'll do the finishing, recommendations?

thanks,

Rob
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 12:07 AM
Rob they have a through bolt and are fairly easy to inlet and Gunstock Inc can probably fix you up on semi-inlet stock Bobby
I find Macon affordable and can do good work.
bill
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 01:24 AM
Beware of Macon! I am sure they will find a way to screw up a nitro special stock. And if they do, you can be sure that they won't stand behind it.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 01:30 AM
My personal experience has led me to vow to never do business with Macon.

I can't speak to the quality of their work, only that of their ethics.
Posted By: ed good Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 03:57 AM
dudley: you stock guns...macon stocks guns...they are your competition...several times you have bad mouthed macon gunstocks on this forum...they have not bad mouthed you here...myself and others have had good experience with macon...it is poor form to bad mouth others in ones line of work...people dont like to do business with back stabbers...
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 10:47 AM
Ed ,that's not a fair comparison and you know it,Macon is not direct competition for Brian or any other stockmaker ...i've seen several examples of Macon's work come across my bench and it was very poor ,I have for the life of me no idea how they stay in business...the last one was a Sterlingworth stock with the top half of the head spliced with another piece of wood,others have run the gamut of oversized inletting to special order dimensions that were miles off ..thier customer service is well documented...the OP would in fact be far better off having someone competent like Dudley run out a stock
Posted By: canvasback Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 11:37 AM
Ed I have personal experience with them accepting money (charging a credit card) for something they said was in stock and then finding out they don't have it and weren't going to have it in the future and then having to hound them for 9 months to get the money refunded.

I think they assumed because it was for a non US resident, they could tell me to go pound sand. I spent 30 years collecting my business receivables from small retailers. These guys were easy. Liars and crooks, but easy.

I'm with Chris Dawe on these guys. Finding out about the frequency of shoddy work and shady dealing is so easy, I can't understand how they stay in business.

Ed, detailing their actual performance is not back stabbing.
Posted By: ed good Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 11:53 AM
some have had good experience with macon and some have not...

but, repeated bad mouthing with innuendo only, and with no specific details just seems vindictive to me...
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 12:19 PM
Ed, your opinion means very little to me, you should know this by now.

I do not apologize for my public opinion of Macon because their work IS THAT BAD.

I will summarize simply as that i have had multiple customers provide me with semi-inletted stocks from Macon to fit and finish. And EVERY ONE had issues. Some workable, and some that made the wood useless and i ended up having to re-duplicate and start over. This requiring the customer to throw money away since it is lost on macon because they do not stand behind their product.

The last instance was a stock that a customer paid $700 to them for the blank alone and specifically requested that the inletting be cut more undersized than they normally would. Guess what... it was nor undercut, and even over cut in a number of areas.

I am to the point now that i will not accept any work involving wood from them.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 01:30 PM
I am with Dudley on this. Trying to inlet a bad semi inlet stock is a pain and could be impossible. To fix one over inlet area takes far longer than you can understand. If it's off in one area you can fix that but then you may have to also inlet five other areas. It all has to come togeather at the same time. Be off in one area and correcting that sometimes makes you off in several others. You have to be an Einstein to fix a morons sloppy work.

The worst stock for me to correct a duplication error is a Lefever. That top strap is hard to get right and if you have to fix any other areas you can't change that once it's down. It's a compound curve, tapered, with that bulb area on the end. I've learned to stop the copy duplicator about 1/2" short on the top strap and do it by hand. That way I can pull everything back if need be and not have a gap around the end of the top strap.
A $60.00 stock is a $60.00 stock.
Caveat Emptor.

If you want half your work to be Acra-glass well, then there you go.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 01:42 PM
I've determined that probably best to stay away from Macon.

Any recommendations where you've had a positive experience? I have a stock blank and can provide the original as a template, how about someone with a duplicator who knows what he's doing?

thanks,

Rob
Posted By: ed good Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 02:26 PM
gunter pfrommer in virginia does a nice job restocking guns...
If the head of your stock is ok, adding a butt transplant can work out very well and you get the dimensions you want.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good

but, repeated bad mouthing with innuendo only, and with no specific details just seems vindictive to me...

Ed I put the details in my post. It's not heresay nor is it innuendo.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 06:11 PM
Gunstocks Inc. has good lefever nitro special semi-inlets. I personally have never had an issue with anything that has come from them. You would have to see if they offer something for the .410.

Keep in mind that a lot of original nitro stocks have steeper drops. Like 3" or so, if you want something more modern, doing a custom job is the best way.
Posted By: keith Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 06:25 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback

Ed I put the details in my post. It's not heresay nor is it innuendo.

Ed Good thinks it's hearsay, bad-mouthing, and innuendo to post exact verbatim quotes of his anti-gun statements which he has repeatedly made here. He remains the poster child for "You Can't Fix Stupid".

Ed goes on to accuse Brian Dudley of being a back stabber. I think someone who pretend to be a gun guy, but posts crap like this, is the real back stabber.

next question:

does the second amendment prohibit state and local governments from regulating the keeping of arms by the people?

i believe it does not...what say you?

http://news.yahoo.com/celebrities-demand-removal-confederate-symbol-mississippi-flag-225831525.html

if mississippians can have a dialog regarding restriction of the display of "the flag", then why cant we have a dialog here regarding the restriction of semi auto handguns?

guess no body here has the balls to answer my question:

disarm...seems to work for the rest of the civilized world...

why not us?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 06:27 PM
It's hard to put one or two grand into restocking a gun worth less than a grand. I'd watch EBay for a used one or if mine was decent on the front end graft a butt section onto it as a reasonable economical repair. It's not that hard to do if you have a decent drill press and cutoff saw or band saw.
Posted By: ed good Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 06:28 PM
gee keet, nothing new or original to post today? yawn...
Posted By: ed good Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 06:38 PM
ky: agreed, paying big bucks for restocking a 410 nitro makes no financial sense...a field grade semi inlet walnut blank should run around $125...add $75 for forend...good stocker should be able to fit wood, varnish and checker for around $300...so a budget of $500, plus shipping, for the whole job should work...one could also pay twice that...but it is not really necessary for field grade wood and finish...
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 07:28 PM
EBay is no good for this, I'll wager probably half the original NS .410's were cut down for kids and now guys like me are trying to make them whole.

The graft may be the way to go. I'm sure I have a buddy with a band saw.

Any detailed photos on the web?

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
It's hard to put one or two grand into restocking a gun worth less than a grand. I'd watch EBay for a used one or if mine was decent on the front end graft a butt section onto it as a reasonable economical repair. It's not that hard to do if you have a decent drill press and cutoff saw or band saw.
A slip on recoil pad is much cheaper than a new or even butt grafted stock. Some of the leather strap on types look pretty good as well. Take it off and the grandkid can shoot it as God intended when He helped Ithaca create it...Geo
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 09:30 PM
Fit, finish AND checker for just $300? Well, you get what you pay for. If that is your budget, maybe you should stick with Macon.

Besides, most people looking to put that sort of work into a gun are not doing it strictly for financial gain.
Posted By: ed good Re: Inletting service, Nitro Special 410 - 08/18/17 10:58 PM
financial gain is not the issue...the issue is avoiding putting far too much money into a gun than one would ever hope to recover...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com