doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Larryguy R Leach of Oldham - 07/27/17 05:11 PM
I've recently sourced a 12 bore Hammergun made by R Leach of Oldham. My Boothroyd book was never returned by a now no longer friend - can anyone please provide me with information on this retailer/maker? I believe the gun was made in Birmingham.
Thank you.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: R Leach of Oldham - 07/27/17 05:15 PM
From the Internet Gun Club-------

Information

Trade: Gunmaker

Dates: 1905?- 1943?

Notes:

Robert Leach appears to have established a business as an ammunition dealer and agent at 95 Lees Road, Oldham, in about 1905. In the following years, if not in about 1905, he became a fully fledged gunsmith and gun dealer buying, amongst others, from Webley & Scott.

He was a champion live and clay pigeon shooter belonging to the Warrington and District Gun Club (silver cup winner September 1920, July 1923 and April 1924), the Fitton Hill Gun Club (gold medal winner December 1914), and the Oldham Gun Club which used to meet at the The Sportsmans Arms, Fitton Hill, near Oldham where the proprietor was G.E. Marsland.

R Leach married ?? Masters (whose father was a sergeant major in India). The pictures below show that he traded well into WWII but it is not known when he retired and the business closed.

Other:

The firm sold Eley Gastight shotgun cartridges under their own name.

Oldham Gun Club: In 1905 R Leach 8 shots out of 12 kills he also won first prize with 35 out of 40; in 1909 he won a gold medal with 37 shots out of 40; in 1910 he won with 36 out of 40; in 1911 he had first prize with 36 out of 40; and in 1914 he had 37 out of 40.

We are indebted to Peter Thorne, Robert Leach's grandson for virtually all the information and all the images shown on this page.

< Return to Search

Image/s

Leach scores 1905

Leach report 1924

Leach 33 Rochdale rd
Posted By: Larryguy Re: R Leach of Oldham - 07/27/17 09:14 PM
Daryl: Thank you very much!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com