doublegunshop.com - home
It now costs $400 a year to use their service. If you used them before, your library is likely gone.
I've got 309 photos in photo bucket as of 30 seconds ago. Just uploaded some more in there this morning, and posted two pics on here. My library is not gone.

But, the sky may be falling.

SRH
Works for me.

PS. Sample photo just uploaded of quail eggs:

I switched to imgur.com, someone else here said it was
good. I like it thus far. In the last few months, I had
a hard time getting anything onto photobucket because of the
ads and popups.
The hard work on recording history done by hundreds of thousands of researchers and writers and us...has gone up in smoke caused by utter "I'll hold you to ransom" greed of some unknown criminal. This is a travesty and a lost for humanity.
I'll say it again, Argo. You shouldn't expect something for nuthin'.

Anybody who spent all that time researching and depended on a "free" site to preserve it has got their head in the sand.

Why are you so mad that PB took something back that they gave you for free to begin with? I'm not defending them, by any means, just saying that it's ridiculous to be so dependent on a site that never promised you anything.

SRH
Stan, Go read some of these lines....not the "Oh I hate your politics" crap but the really substantive lines that rely on some sort of historical compilation of images. And it's not just here...it's across the internet where people collect and do research with visual images. That site promised free photo downloads up to a limit. It then took it away without warning. Wonder what business model they were following because that is the equivalent of ransomware extortion.

And if you aren't upset by this type of behavior, if you aren't upset when you go back and research past lines and have a blank in front of you, gun images posted by members now dead, then you're missing something. And your response comes across as cynical bordering on sneering.

Stan, I've kept the images I posted. I went back to change them in a couple of the lines I started. I'm proud of the research I put in - months long on EM Reilly, the definitive site on that maker now anywhere. The lines are locked. I can't replace the images. The research done for history is diminished. And posting on a forum depends on an internet site. Maybe Dave will create a way to post directly here.
That's a great looking quail egg Tut. Very informative, oh wait.
I'm not sneering, though I may be a bit cynical. I just cannot get my head around expecting something for nothing. It's a shame that research is lost. But, what researcher worth his salt does not back up their data and findings somewhere else besides where they post it for the world to read? That's ludicrous.

And, where do you get "criminal". What laws have they broken? You're mad .... okay. But, take it as a lesson learned not to rely on freebies in the future. I use photo bucket, and will until they shut me down. But, they don't owe me anything, and I don't owe them anything. I do appreciate them letting me use their site for nothing for years to post my pictures, but when it's gone, it's gone. No big deal. As I said before ...... easy come, easy go.

Life's a lot bigger, for me, than PB.

SRH
Originally Posted By: tut
Works for me.

I don't know what everyone is seeing, but all I get is a blue square saying update your account to enable third party hosting.
I used it about a half hour ago, except for a lot more ads, worked OK...
I'm not really surprised. The site has been pretty sucky for some time now. All the stuff I care about is backed up and I figure I got my money's worth. But...really crappy of them to do that. Yet another reason to not trust all this whiz-bang technology.
When I see valuable research like Argo's on E M Reilly, I print a copy, put three holes in it with my obsolete three hole punch and stick it in a notebook. Call me old fashioned but nothing on the Internet is forever.
An additional/supplemental archive method would be to capture an in-focus image & store it by month & year. I'm approaching say 5500 images on Photobucket and even though it is seemingly free, they do get some benefit thru advertising from all those folks who view the many albums. So the matter is not as one sided as it seems. I'd say we are @ a crossroads here & I for one could forsake it, but it is one location where many, many of the images are organized. I suppose the time is nigh to sit down, organize all my images & pen some texts.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Let's test this...

Image:

Slide show:

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Kyrie_Ellison/slideshow/A_Temp/Francisco%20Arizaga?sort=3
Castellano Kyrie:

To which Plan might you have subscribed?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
While one might not be able to forum post photobucket photos, PB still offers free storage (so far). The photos can be downloaded to your computer for uploading to other hosting sites such as jpbox (so far). My PB photos on forums haven't been stripped (so far). I opted earlier in the year for the $10 plan for ads free for a year. When that contract year runs, I will be SOL on older post photos. Gil
You know, this thing about posted photos going away is nothing new here. I've searched for, and found, old threads to refresh my memory on some certain topic and found the pictures gone many times. This has been going on for years, which is another reason I find it amazing that such faith was placed in PB to maintain precious pictures.

Who hasn't looked for an old picture only to find that stupid looking cat in the square box? And I'm not referring to this one -------

(under 2 minutes from a free PB account)

SRH

Good morning Raimey,

I’ve just been researching the status of my Photo Bucket (PB) account.

I’ve had a paid PB account for some years now. That account was for 20 GB, the cost was $29.99 per year, paid automatically once a year from my Pay Pal account.

It appears PB has restructured its subscription services/costs:

http://photobucket.com/pricing

I’ve just checked my Pay Pal account and found PB has scheduled a price increase to be effective at my next scheduled payment date (which is in February of 2018) to reflect a subscription to the new base account level (50GB at $59.99 per year).

Best,

Kyrie

P.S. As an aside to all, and presented entirely for what it’s worth, my experience in life has been that nothing is quite as expensive as something that is free. In my younger years, when I still believed in “free stuff” I eventually learned that free items ever and always come at a cost, and that cost is typically billed at the least opportune moment.
Wise words, Kyrie.

SRH
Many thanks for the effort there Castellano Kyrie. It may seem free but its really not. Hits on the website drive advertisers to pay some amount to the host. So as usual someone is paying for it. And although I have my fair share & more of non-perpetual software subscriptions that make Photobucket pail in comparison, I still would pay a non-hansom fee to have the previously posted images resurrected. Although, I'm not sure which path to take from here. I have all my images archived and if the site was hacked today(seems it may have been yesterday) & all deleted, I haven't lost any images but the lack of 3rd party hosting does make it difficult to see what was the topic @ hand lo so many moons ago.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
My images are still there..We'll see if this works...VERY VERY slow

Originally Posted By: Adrian
Originally Posted By: tut
Works for me.

I don't know what everyone is seeing, but all I get is a blue square saying update your account to enable third party hosting.

You are correct. It worked yesterday so they have tweaked it. Now you have to get a new package. In short screwed unless you want to pay more money.
I just posted pictures from Photobucket in the Union Fire Arms Co. thread, and I've never paid them a cent. The Fox Collectors, Remington Society and the PGCA web sites all let you post pictures directly. If this site and Shotgunworld offered that I could forget PB.
Going to try again with an older picture. Maybe the newer ones present a problem.

Disabling of the 3rd Party Hosting feature may be predicated on your Join date?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Couldn't get photobucket to work for me the other day, but mysteriously it's working today.

This sort of explains it in a good way:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Disabling of the 3rd Party Hosting feature may be predicated on your Join date?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Looks to me like any 3rd party posting has now become much more expensive (it's a revenue thing). My image and slide show were not put up via 3rd party hosting (I used linking) and are unaffected. If I'd tried to put them up by 3rd party hosting I'd likely have been prevented. Here is a URL, suggested by Photo Bucket, with good info:

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/...artyhosting_faq
Thanks. And Photobucket may be wiser than we give them credit. All this drama may be an attempt to solicit an absorber/purchaser.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
They wouldn't care if you put up a link I'm sure back to your photos. The link goes back to their site and then the advertising pop ups kick in. What they don't want is for folks to see the photos stored/residing on their site without being exposed to adds. Least it seems that way to me.
No notification from PB so far that anythings changed. Here's another test:

I paid the $10 a while back to lose the ads...Geo

To be honest the pop ups are now so bad on PB its becoming unusable.
Geo, I think when we paid the ten bux, it gave us a little more life on PB. When the contract year runs, so do the uploads. Gil
Gil, George, I just signed up for the no ads level this past week on a monthly plan. I'll let you know what happens at the end of the month.
This is an excerpt from their new terms. The $400 per year plan is the only one that includes image linking & third party image hosting. I was using the free account and all the images I linked no longer work. I have no idea what order they are cutting off accounts.

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

Read more: http://photobucket.com/terms#ixzz4ltkhtVpJ
There's something distictly jarring about reading "nothing on the internet is forever", when we've been told forever to keep ourselves nice because "once you hit "Enter", it could be there forever".
I remember reading something about a lot of these "free" sites: gmail, facebook, PB etc: something like: if you're not paying for it, it's not a product; YOU are the product.
I'm not so sure it has anything to do with paying anything for being ad free. I've never paid them a dime, and I can post a photo in under two minutes, start to finish, anytime. There are ads and pop-ups, yeah ..... but I've learned ways to avoid their causing me delays. Absolutely nothing has changed in the last week, that I can tell. I have uploaded several pics in the last few days.

And, for those who think I'm paying for it in some other way, think what you want. I can't remember a single advertisement I've ever seen on there. How could it be costing me anything? If it gets so advanced that they know their advertising is ineffective on me it will be time for me to retreat to the woods and "go off the grid". But, for now, let them think they're using me.

SRH

Stan:

You can call me by name as it doesn't bother me. And I don't intend to convert you. But you are not listening to what I'm tell you. It all has to do w/ advertising & the page revenue per thousand impressions by anyone; it doesn't have to be you specifically. All those who go to those albums for one reason or another add to the number of hits. Evidently you don't shop online or Edge by UDM(Under Dog Media) would have profiled you.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Raimey,

I wasn't referring to you, specifically. I'm probably too dense and/or low tech to understand all of what you're saying, but I do believe you. It has been my simplistic view that if the advertising they put up didn't cause me to buy their products then they were losing money on me. If there is more to it than that, I believe you, but I just don't understand it. What "albums" are you referring to?

I have probably been profiled because I do buy stuff occasionally on eBay, and maybe they target me with the ads, but I cannot remember a one of them for the life of me. And, for some reason, those ads don't slow me down much from getting my library to come up, choosing a pic or two, and posting them. When the page comes up I click on "Library" immediately, as quickly as humanly possible. Usually it comes right up without being slowed by ads. When I click to copy the pic and an ad starts to come up, I have learned that if I look at it's "name" on the top toolbar and "X" out of it immediately, it goes away and my pic is copied without any holdups. Little ways I get around the ads, and the holdups they cause.

Why do you think some have been "targeted" on here, and shut down, and others have not?

SRH
Stan- I've had a Photobucket account since the early 2000's
I started it before digital camera's became big. I would scan my film, and then upload it to Hunt101 to share.

Hunt 101 crashed, and some guys on Upland Journal (in it's earliest days) said they were using Photobucket.
So, I went there.

On my library, there are pictures of dogs from birth thru death. Their entire careers documented for my pleasure. That's 15 years and more.

Regrettably, I noticed unexplained "Link Copy Paste" problems with no email explanations several months ago. Near as I can figure, when I hit more than 60% full, the come-on's to buy more space increased to continuous.

I thought the LCP problems were due to storage.
Not a warm up to Photobucket killing their product.

Photobucket has no interest to me if I can't link to websites. And I'm pretty sure websites have figured out their free content has dried up from this. So places that get paid for views (like UJ) have to be really hurting.

Raimey's idea that it is either volume or age-of-account based for the curtailment of linking is probably correct.

I say that because my account is old, and I noticed the link problem long ago, and secondly, I noticed that my old smart phone backed every picture up to PB continuously, filling their server's with crap.
So, multiply that by millions of accounts.

I can't imagine the number of professionals begging to get their free web presence back.

I'm small potatoes.
I see not much difference this morning. Except way more ads and a feeble attempt to bill me for an add on service. I will be moving away from FB.
..and now the internet is covered with little blue clocks announcing ~PHOTOBUCKET DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!
My pics are still up. I guess they're going after and deleting, "3rd Party Hosting" whatever that is.

They just don't like third party stuff, just like my current girlfriend. whistle
Has anybody found a good replacement for Photobucket yet? I've tried Imgur and it's not intuitive. Perhaps I'm being to timid?
How in the hell does imgur work! I loaded the app and signed up. Successfully uploaded a picture but can't find any way to copy it to attach to this board.
Try jpgbox.com. They're back on line after a crash last night. Very easy to use. Problem is they limit the format...you can't blow them up easily - important for printed material.
I'm using imgur from a pc and you click on the photo you want to appear on the BBS, then it becomes larger and a list of options appear to the right of the photo with a copy button next to them. I copied the bbcode and this is what you get

Well Steve, it sure doesn't work that way with a iPad. Works great on my office PC.
Well hell Joe...No wonder...You caint fly an IPAD...They are for kids...
Originally Posted By: SKB
I'm using imgur from a pc and you click on the photo you want to appear on the BBS, then it becomes larger and a list of options appear to the right of the photo with a copy button next to them. I copied the bbcode and this is what you get

Steve, if I do all that, are you saying I'll get that gun specifically? Or is it just a gun that's like that? laugh
Just one additional step to receive the rifle James, just send me a check wink
Hi SKB, That's a lovely looking gun in your pic. What is it please ?
Cheers.
Nick.
Hi Nick,
unknown maker, converted from a muzzleloader to breech loader, 14 bore chamber for a paper case with a 16 bore barrel. I had brass cases made for it. It shoots round balls quite well.
Steve
It's a good looker with a good history too.
Great to see its still in use.
Thanks Steve.
Hi Nick,
unknown maker, converted from a muzzleloader to breech loader, 14 bore chamber for a paper case with a 16 bore barrel. I had brass cases made for it. It shoots round balls quite well.
Steve

Steve- Until your statement, I did not know that such a conversion were feasible (James will tell you that I don't get out much). While I have an idea what is involved (thus the inquiry), a thumb nail sketch of the procedure would be most instructive.

Mike
Mike,
it was more feasible in the past when guns were valuable and labor was not. Usually they saved everything they could, lock, barrel and buttstock. A new action was sourced and the barrel had its breech plug removed and a set of lugs silver soldered to it(usually shoe lump method). The action needed to be fit to the stock and a new fore arm metal made. A very big job and usually only done to better quality guns. Here is another a friend owns that was built by Lancaster and converted by him. I own another as well, an SR Jeffery. I have a soft spot for these conversions.

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
Hi Nick,
Steve

Steve- Until your statement, I did not know that such a conversion were feasible (James will tell you that I don't get out much). While I have an idea what is involved (thus the inquiry), a thumb nail sketch of the procedure would be most instructive.

Mike

It's true.....Mike doesn't get out much! laugh
Mr. Bertrum: (SKB) is your Imgur account a freebie or a pay account?

OK, it's a reading thing. Got it.

Photobucket can stuff it!
This is just a test of my PB account.

Quote:

James, I see three pictures of this 1981 Yugo, so everything must be working OK. whistle
That's a good one, keith.

SRH
Lloyd, nice Loch Leven strain of Brown. Great photo, but I see what appears to be possible evidence of one of my Britt's presence to the right of the trout's head. Send her back home, please. wink Gil
Yeah, I saw the dried out turds too. I thought the photo of the trout was very nicely composed other than that.
Those looked like goose turds, to me.

SRH
It was the first photo in line in my PB account. Maybe this is more to your liking: laugh

Or this:

The little cottage is nice ......... and the cub. grin

SRH
Stan. it's my neighbour's workshed. At least that's what he calls it. It's really a repository for every scrap of wood he's ever cut off the piece he's using. Cub didn't know he shouldn't be asking me for food. He was a bit bigger than he looks. Just old enough to be all legs.
Great hat James! I've got one just like it.

I'd be a bit nervous about a black bear cub getting too close, knowing that Mama Bear might perceive you as a threat. A few years ago, I watched a couple sows ripping up big pieces of sod while looking for grubs easier than you or I could do it with a sharp spade. Powerful animals.
Keith, I was safely in my truck.
Better than being "unsafely" in a Yugo!

What year was the Pantera? At least you could outrun a Mama bear in that. I think Elvis had one that same color.
Main production ran from 1971 through to 1974. You can easily and quickly narrow it down to a 71/72 or a 73/74 by the style of bumpers. The later models had the stupid black plastic "5 mph" safety bumper. Didn't help Tim Horton!

The advantage of the earlier two years was lighter weight because of less safety crap and slightly better hp because of less emission crap. The downside is they were constantly tweaking the cars to work out the production bugs (there are lots) and the later cars are better built.

Most fun car I have owned. Fast and raw. When driving you have the distinct impression that there is you, the steering wheel and pedals and the engine (which is about 6" behind your head). Hell, you barely even needed the gear shift. I could start in third gear and take it up to about 95 mph without shifting. Closest thing to a race car I can imagine except for a Lotus/Caterham 7.

A woman got in the way. Now I no longer have the car or the woman. There's a lesson in there somewhere.
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
It now costs $400 a year to use their service. If you used them before, your library is likely gone.

Really? Every forum out there, crashed?

I doubt it.

Well all I can say is every picture I've posted thru PB on any of the forums I've posted them on are all gone. Guess they caught up with me.

Best,

Greg
Originally Posted By: canvasback
It was the first photo in line in my PB account. Maybe this is more to your liking: laugh

Or this:

I like that hat. Our great leader is doing great job. For few kind words and pat on the back he made it possible for us to sell eastern europeans expensive natural gas and outdated military equipment for billions of dollars.
Originally Posted By: keith
Quote:

James, I see three pictures of this 1981 Yugo, so everything must be working OK. whistle

It would make better point if the car in pic was Trabant from former DDR.
PS. I thought you're going to show that Trumpmobile covered with Trump Make America Great Again stickers. What happened?
Gentlemen:

Here's my version of the Trumpmobile:

James: I've had the car for 21-years and the wife for 32. I must be doing something right?
Nice.

There's beer in those coolers, right?

Here's my version of the Trumpmobile:

James: I've had the car for 21-years and the wife for 32. I must be doing something right?

That is nice car one does not see every day. Our great leader did great job in Saudi Arabia and Poland. We got major arms order from Saudi Arabia and the Poles will buy some military hardware, natural gas and perhaps even coal from West Virginia. Hail to the Chief.
Originally Posted By: gjw
Well all I can say is every picture I've posted thru PB on any of the forums I've posted them on are all gone. Guess they caught up with me.

Best,

Greg

Ditto for me. Wish they would have grandfathered in all existing photo's because this flat out sucks. I've got probably over a 100 photos posted in different places and now none of them are viewable. Nice job Photobucket.
Jaegermeister:

I was late to the Trump train but I'm fully on-board now. That speech in Poland about defending Western Values seals it for me.

The car is also very Trump-like. Loud, boisterous, cude, mildly-sexist, wildly anti-enviro (6 MPG when playing hard!), and gobs of pure adrenaline-inducing fun when shifting hard up through the gears.

Lonesome Roads: there should be.

Gil/Keith: sorry about the goose turds, there was a shortage of open & dry land that day.
I was down in New Mexico over the 4th.

Nice to know the fishing down there is still decent (no goose turds in this one).

Photobucket wants $400 a year to 3rd party hosting of pics....the forum needs a different way of posting pics than through photobucket. All the pics I've posted are now gone unless I pay.
What's the deal?
Gary
Everyone needs a maximum carbon foot print Trumpmobile of some sort:

And pictures of it on jpgbox.

Best,
Ted

Plastic Jesus you 'gotta go...
I consider my carbon footprint a God-given American birthright. Me and Al Gore.
Beautiful cars Ted and Lloyd!!!

Lloyd, 440?
Sweet ride Lloyd. Clearly you've managed the car/wife thing better than I. May you continue to do so!

Ted, I like yours too!
Somehow I see Ted in a purple Citroen DS wearing a raspberry beret nervously hot-boxing a Gauloises as he cautiously makes his way to Bobski's in the dead of night.

He would have to drive at night because I'm pretty sure those backwoods Missouri boys would beat the crap out of anyone wearing a raspberry beret and driving a purple Citroen DS.

Actually, you might get a glimpse for a moment if you are along highway 10, twixt Coon Rapids, and Anoka, on a 90 degree Saturday afternoon in the summer, just prior to the informal gathering in Anoka, of old cars and old car people. I'll be the one doing 80, with the cruise control holding that speed, while the air conditioning, loaded up with 4 .25 lbs of R12, keeps things chilly inside the cabin.
There will be, on the same stretch of road, at the same time, a parade of big block Chevys, Fords, Mopars, and what not, all doing about 40, with the windows down, and, the heaters on, typically.

Sweating is over rated.

Best,
Ted

Rather envious over the automobiles gentlemen!! Just to go back to the Photobucket part of this thread. Like your good selves they contacted me but being a cantankerous old Brit I thought I would point a couple of things out just to put a little sand in their ointment. To start I pointed out that I am a British citizen and our currency is in pounds sterling and if you are asking for money's it is only courteous to ask for the extra required in the correct currency. I then went on to say that when I initially started to use Photobucket there was no mention of third party any things, and finally if they had altered their terms and conditions would they please supply me with proof that I accepted them? I know it is all fighting a battle with Goliath but it may give the cash crabbing Tw*t's something to mull over.
Another photobucket test:

Yep, must be the clean living and clear conscience that does it...Geo
Photobucket unilaterally altered their contract with their users. We had relied (clearly to our detriment) on their original terms of service. Is that actionable? Maybe, but only if you can prove your damages. By switching to Imgur (& thanks to SKB here!), I'm back in business w/o much of an interruption. In many ways, Imgur is far-easier (none of those crappy adverts!).

Geo: great picture!

treblig1958: yep, 440 and...4-gear. The last vestige of my misspent youth.

James: Thank you! Dumb-luck on my part. Instead of thinking my way through it (which is my normal process), I went completely by heart & gut (& perhaps a few other parts?) Somehow it all payed out. I never got to own a Pantera though.....I can only imagine how much fun that one was.
Lloyd, I was single, in my late 20's and early 30's and living in a city that didn't have much to offer for automobile eye candy. So a bright yellow Pantera REALLY stood out.

But while Winnipeg may not have had a lot of exotic cars, it had a ton of extremely good looking women. A melting pot of primarily English, Scots, Irish, French, Ukrainian and Icelandic. And I had just renovated a circa 1900 three story home in south central Winnipeg into a 2 story bachelor pad. Classic on the outside, modern on the inside. If the car wasn't enough, the house sealed the deal.

Whew! I get tired just reminiscing! laugh

The only car I've had since that was as fast (or near as fast) on the top end is in my driveway right now. A 2002 Passat Wagon W8 with AWD in silver. The ultimate sleeper. I've seen 155 MPH on the dial. It's either been mine or my ex wife's since 2003.

Damascus, I like the way you think!
Photo Buckets sucks....

Brought to you by photobucket
I'm not having a problem and I agree with Geo, its the clean living and clear conscience.

You all that are having a problem need to come clean and fess up.
Maybe it does have something to do with the amount of usage by some PB users. There has to be something that triggered some accounts to be cancelled, and not others. Mine is untouched, as are many others here.

Tell you one thing ......... I'm sure not going to the trouble to open another account somewhere and put all those pics into it until I have to.

SRH
I was going to empty and close my PB account but.... that sounds like work. It still functions well as a repository and I can transfer those photos to Imgur (when needed) and keep rolling. New stuff goes elsewhere, of course.
The only thing I have ever used PB for is for posting images on forums. I have a number of portable hard drives that have from 500 gigabytes to 1 terabyte of storage. They aren't expensive and I have access and control over all photos and video.
Originally Posted By: Stan
Maybe it does have something to do with the amount of usage by some PB users. There has to be something that triggered some accounts to be cancelled, and not others. Mine is untouched, as are many others here.

Tell you one thing ......... I'm sure not going to the trouble to open another account somewhere and put all those pics into it until I have to.

SRH

It's coming so get ready
There's no getting ready to do. I never depended on them for anything, so if I lose it I'm out nothing.

SRH
Nothing but the time you wasted....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com