doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: TCN Recommendations for light case restoration work - 06/22/17 04:33 PM
Hi, new member here, but I know many of you and used to participate years ago. Glad this place is still around and seemingly so healthy.

At any rate, I have an old leather English made case that's in age appropriate shape, but I need to have the interior reconfigured a bit and then relined with felt/baize.

It doesn't need massive restoration, and it doesn't warrant Huey level work (nor do I want to spend that kind of money). Does anybody have any suggestions on someone that can (and would be willing) to do the work?

Extra points if they're in Michigan or Ohio so that I don't have to ship cases and guns.

Thanks,
T.
Kevin McCormick.
McCormack ......... Kevin McCormack

I, just today, received two vintage leg o' mutton cases that I had sent Kevin to do repairs on. He not only repaired them, but he did so in such a way that the repairs do not look "unnatural", but vintage. I am very impressed.

As he put it in an email to me, "they look 200% better". I agree. I will take some "after" pics and post some before and after photos if there is enough interest.

SRH
Do it yourself. It's not brain surgery and there should be info online.
Originally Posted By: justin
Do it yourself. It's not brain surgery and there should be info online.

Well, there's a nice welcome to a new guy asking for some information on his first post. Don't worry TCN, you will find this to be the exception rather than the rule here. A thick skin helps. I got a similar reply from one jerk to my first question, but there is a ton of great info to be had.

Stan, do you have any contact info for Kevin McCormack? I have a couple vintage leg-o-mutton cases that need attention. And I'd be interested in seeing those before and after pics.
Thanks all; I'll contact Kevin and at least get some pricing. I too would be interested in seeing pictures of his work.

For what it's worth, I have thought about doing it myself, I'm just not the most detail oriented guy when it comes to projects, so I figured I might do more harm than good, but as near as I can tell, with interiors, it's all glue, pine dividers, and wool baize.
Kevin's information is on the PGCA website. He has done about twenty of my leg of mutton cases and has either refitted or completely restored several trunk cases. I am satisfied.
Here you go, Keith.

kbm7013@gmail.com

Kevin McCormack
11429 Bronzedale Drive
Oakton, VA 22124-2006

I'll try to take a few "after" pics today, was busy all day yesterday.

SRH
Thanks again; e-mail sent, mentioned this place.
Before, a 30" and a 32" case. Both the lid fastening straps needed replacing, and other stitching on caps, etc. needed to be redone.

After ....... fastening straps replaced and marked/stamped with proper case length, leather cleaned and rejuvenated, good for another 50 years, or so.

I'm thrilled with Kevin's work. If I ever need any more resto/repair work done on leather cases they will go to him.

SRH
Learned to hand stitch leather in the CG late 60s. Since have made and repaired a lot of dog leashes and collars and made a bunch of belt knife sheaths. I would say my work is about 80% of a good saddle makers quality, if I can get to both sides of the work. Leg of Mutton most of the stitches are blind inside side and a missed aligned stitch is very obvious when it comes out on the outside.

Work Stan posted is very very good way better than anything I could do. Alignment is perfect you can't see any flaws.I have a couple of LOMs that need repair and would not work on them myself. Anybody that thinks you can watch a you tube and turn out good work is misinformed

Boats
Thank you for an unbiased opinion, Boats. Like you I can stitch leather, too, if I can get to both sides of it. But, I knew this work was beyond my paltry capability and was plumb tickled when Kevin agreed to do them.

And, I know it's not brain surgery, Justin, but to paraphrase Harry Callahan, a smart man knows his limitations.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com